Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAQ: Best Places to Eat Off Campus
Techsans.net - Texas Tech Forums and Message Board > Campus > New to Texas Tech University
Hartmann
  • Chimy's - Great for a margarita, tacos or nachos!
  • Spanky's - Want a burger or chicken sandwich that actually tastes good? This is the place.
  • Josie's - For a quick breakfast taco, Josie's is the best bet. Be prepared to wait in line at 2:15am though.
  • Cagle's - Lubbock is surprisingly lean on the BBQ joints, but Cagle Steaks fills the gap nicely.
  • Cricket's - Great beer selection and a decent menu of "bar" food.
  • One Guy From Italy - Affectionately called "One Guy's" this place has the calzone you want in a hurry.
  • Little Panda - Right across from campus, Little Panda is great when you have a craving for Chinese.
psidancer
The place I miss most since leaving Lubbock is Little Panda, especially the one right across campus.
Hartmann
QUOTE (psidancer @ Jun 25 2009, 01:46 AM) *
The place I miss most since leaving Lubbock is Little Panda, especially the one right across campus.

Added.
blaarg
Dude, you all have to be joking about Little Panda -- sure it's cheap but C'MON! Do you KNOW how many health violations they repeatedly got. You couldn't pay me to go eat at that place.

Also: Thai Pepper, Rosas, and Jaliscos
Psykopath
Thai Thai, FTW!!
impala454
I have not lived in Lubbock since April of 07, so obviously things have probably changed some, but here's my restaurant take:

Localized to Lubbock:

Spanky's - Can't say I ever really thought Spankys' burgers were anything special, but I do think they have the best fried cheese ever.

Burgers - My favorite burger in town is a toss up between Skooner's "Burger to beat all burgers" or Bonus Burger. Bonus Burger is cheap and has great tots to go along with it, and Skooner's has great beer specials.

Cagle's - I've come to find that you either absolutely love their steak (ribeye only, order by the thickness) or don't care for it. It's all in the rub they use. Personally I love it and always make it a point to get out there whenever I'm in town. Same thing with their other favorite of mine, their potato salad. It has a heavy pickle flavor so, like the steaks, either you really like it or don't.

Orlando's - Ok this place gets talked up way too much IMHO. Fairly decent food, but I have to mention them because I think they have the absolute best chips & queso in town. Weird, yes I know, that I would say this about an Italian restaurant. But I mention it because I think anyone who hasn't tried it should.

Chain restaurants:

On the Border - always good stuff, IMHO the best fajitas in town. They seemed to be the only ones who understood that the best fajitas still have a little pink.

Abuelo's - Good Mexican food that's a little more high brow than the other Mexican restaurants in town. Good date place. Go and do yourself a favor and get a plate of medium rare pork tenderloin medallions and their mashed potatoes. Best mashed potatoes in town. Make sure to ask for the hotter salsa too, it's purty good if you can handle it.

Wingstop - The one on Slide near the loop is the best one I have ever been to. The people knew us by name and seemed to actually care about their customers. Best french fries ever IMHO.

Chick Fil A - The one on Slide at the loop. Weird to mention I know, but we got to know the owners there and this place was damn good as far as fast food goes. They were 5th highest in ratings for the entire company at one point.
jonathan83
there's a fast food italian place..can't remember it, but it's pretty good for fast food italian... starts with an S
impala454
You thinking of Fazoli's? That place was always good for what it was. Never seen another "fast food italian" like that. Great breadsticks.

edit: Maybe you're thinkin of Stella's. That place... eh I always thought it was overhyped, but that's just my take. Their regular restaurant was way overhyped and overpriced IMHO.
jonathan83
QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 27 2009, 01:22 PM) *
You thinking of Fazoli's? That place was always good for what it was. Never seen another "fast food italian" like that. Great breadsticks.

oh yeah i think it was fazolis
blaarg
QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 26 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Burgers - My favorite burger in town is a toss up between Skooner's "Burger to beat all burgers" or Bonus Burger. Bonus Burger is cheap and has great tots to go along with it, and Skooner's has great beer specials.

I forgot about Bonus Burger -- I used to eat there about once a week. Damn good.

Mommy
I miss Orlando's. They had the most amazing fried zucchini.

I miss Little Panda as well, but I preferred the one on Slide that collapsed.

Rosa's was yum as well.

Then there was this giant Chinese buffet on University past 50th. That place RULED.
jwttu
I like Orlando's because they take a Texas spin to the Italian restaurant. I like when people make the food their own. It isn't the best Italian food but it is good.

My favorite local bbq is J&M off of 34th street, but for a chain Rudy's is really good.

And my favorite steak so far is Las Brisas. Cagles is also good for the price. I haven't been to double nickel yet but they are pretty pricey.
The Fanatic
Places to avoid:

Spankys - If you're looking for the most over-rated eating experience in West Texas, then spankys is the place for you! Tasteless frozen fries, Dry non existent patties overloaded with condiments and a friend cheese log with little to no flavor! Don't get me wrong, homemade cheese "sticks" are amazing in concept but they don't add proper flavoring and spices to the batter to make it worthwhile. What's left is a case of clogged arteries and a possible stroke.

Caprock Cafe - Horrible food and portioning. Not worth the price. Stay away from this shit hole.

Good food includes:
Gardskys on broadway - overall good food

Five guys burgers and fries- It just opened up where moe's used to be (on 19th and quaker). It's a chain but they have great burgers and fresh cut fries! Much better quality then spankys.

Ruby Tequilas - good tex mex

Picante's- over on 34th... great food

Home Cafe - By far one of the best eating experiences in Lubbock, it's on 34th st and has been featured in Texas Monthly but it's kind of pricey and it's only open for lunch mon - fri. Gourmet chef husband and wife team. It's worth checking out.

Orlando's

One guy from italy - Stick with the pizza or calzones

Jumbo Joes - surprisingly very good burgers

Jaliscos - cheap margaritas on tuesday and decent tex mex.

Great Wall - Good food

Saigon Cafe -

Shoguns - Pretty good hibachi style food. I've heard tokyo's is better but i've never been.

jwttu
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 22 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Five guys burgers and fries- It just opened up where moe's used to be (on 19th and quaker). It's a chain but they have great burgers and fresh cut fries! Much better quality then spankys.

just make sure to be nice to the guy who works the cash register in the evening, he is a pretty cool guy whistling.gif
The Fanatic
QUOTE (jwttu @ Jul 22 2009, 10:35 PM) *
just make sure to be nice to the guy who works the cash register in the evening, he is a pretty cool guy whistling.gif

Is he... you?

Ive only been there during lunch time.
jwttu
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 23 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Is he... you?

Ive only been there during lunch time.

yep i work the cash register at night
blaarg
Why the hell do people like Little Panda so much!? Do you like being poisoned by run-of-the-mill "Chinese" food?
woody
QUOTE (blaarg @ Jul 23 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Why the hell do people like Little Panda so much!? Do you like being poisoned by run-of-the-mill "Chinese" food?

Panda rocked

it's fucking lubbock. if you can stomach the tap water, panda is fine

i miss lone wolf
The Fanatic
Honestly, I have not had any real good chinese food in Lubbock. I mean Great Wall is ok but not great.
Psykopath
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 24 2009, 01:23 AM) *
Honestly, I have not had any real good chinese food in Lubbock. I mean Great Wall is ok but not great.

Did you ever get a chance to eat at Summer Palace?
They were fan-freakin'-tastic. Too bad they closed down. ='(

I also miss Stein's. Pretty sure they've shutdown too.
'Twas an amazing little sandwich/soup/coffee shop downtown right next door to Inkfluence.
The Fanatic
I never had either.

Do you still work for housing Zach?
jonathan83
well i'm going to china tomorrow for a week. i'll let you guys know if the chinese food is any good wink.gif
Spectatrix
QUOTE (Psykopath @ Jul 24 2009, 02:31 AM) *

Yeah... crying.gif
jwttu
my favorite ethnic food in lubbock is Thai Pepper. They are so good but it is also so busy and hard to get a table especially at Lunch.
cmac
i know they're chain restaurants, but moving since moving to Colorado where the mexican food SUCKS, i really miss Rosas, Taco Bueno, Taco Villa, and any other mexican restaurant that includes spice in their food. That place at 82nd and University was pretty good. Don't know the name.
impala454
Was Rosa's a chain (other than Lubbock)?
blaarg
QUOTE (impala454 @ Jul 24 2009, 12:17 PM) *
Was Rosa's a chain (other than Lubbock)?

Yes. It started in San Angelo and LBK got them in the early 90s -- right when it sort of took off. They are scattered all across Texas (excluding the South) and I think there are a couple in Oklahoma now.

Taco Villa is also a local chain starting in Midland/Odessa.
blaarg
QUOTE (Psykopath @ Jul 24 2009, 02:31 AM) *

I also miss Stein's. Pretty sure they've shutdown too.
'Twas an amazing little sandwich/soup/coffee shop downtown right next door to Inkfluence.

Damn you for making me remember Summer Palace and its awesomeness.

Also Stein's closed down, rennovated, re-opened, and is now closed down again (at least, last I checked).
The Fanatic
Taco Bueno... best mexican fast food hands down. Started in Abilene and now it's a pretty nice chain in the south.
jwttu
QUOTE (cmac @ Jul 24 2009, 12:00 PM) *
i know they're chain restaurants, but moving since moving to Colorado where the mexican food SUCKS, i really miss Rosas, Taco Bueno, Taco Villa, and any other mexican restaurant that includes spice in their food. That place at 82nd and University was pretty good. Don't know the name.

are you thinking of Ruby Tequila's?

they have a new location at 4th & University and their website shows plans for 2 more locations in Houston
cmac
no this is just north of 82nd street on the east side of university across from sonic. a reasonably new place when i left in 07.
impala454
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 24 2009, 12:54 PM) *
Taco Bueno... best mexican fast food hands down. Started in Abilene and now it's a pretty nice chain in the south.

lol I dunno about "best mexican food hands down" but it does kick ass. it takes the taco bell concept to the chick fil a level smile.gif
Mommy
QUOTE (cmac @ Jul 24 2009, 01:39 PM) *
no this is just north of 82nd street on the east side of university across from sonic. a reasonably new place when i left in 07.
I can't remember the name of that place either, but it was awesome. There was a place in that area also that had salsa dancing most evenings. I think it was across the street from that restaurant. I think that restaurant's name had the word Margarita in it, but I could be wrong.

Also, for a good chain restaurant, I always liked Cheddar's in Lubbock. Great place to eat good food at a cheap price. Plus, their happy hour had good prices on margaritas. M'm I had some good times there. Heh, the one in Austin had this waiter who I think had a crush on me or something... he would give me free drinks all the time. It ruled. He was black and way older than me though.
jonathan83
QUOTE (impala454 @ Jul 24 2009, 03:05 PM) *
lol I dunno about "best mexican food hands down" but it does kick ass. it takes the taco bell concept to the chick fil a level smile.gif

haha yeah i wouldn't say best mexican food, since it's really more of an americanized mexican food, like tex mex or something..but it's definitely awesome. yay abilene.
Psykopath
Damn I could go for a Steinwich and some red-curry soup right now. :'(
Damn them for closing down!

And yes I still work for Housing.
blaarg
QUOTE (cmac @ Jul 24 2009, 02:39 PM) *

Cancun is the name of the place you are thinking of.
The Fanatic
The key word was FAST food
impala454
oh yeah i missed that word. i can agree w/that for sure.
The Fanatic
QUOTE (blaarg @ Jul 25 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Cancun is the name of the place you are thinking of.

I've seen it. Is it any good?
The Fanatic
Another fast food mexican restaurant from Abilene is coming to Lubbock. It's called Alfredo's. It's on the corner ofr 4th and University in the old burger king building.
Mommy
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 26 2009, 10:46 AM) *
Another fast food mexican restaurant from Abilene is coming to Lubbock. It's called Alfredo's. It's on the corner ofr 4th and University in the old burger king building.
Whoah... that Burger King closed down?
The Fanatic
QUOTE (Mommy @ Jul 26 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Whoah... that Burger King closed down?

It moved to 4th and Q next to Taco Bell and wal mart
Mommy
QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 26 2009, 02:12 PM) *
It moved to 4th and Q next to Taco Bell and wal mart

Oh... I don't ever think I saw the new Walmart there. Last time I was there was the summer of 2007, and I stayed 2 months. I think it was open then. I just didn't see it for some reason. Kinda in a ghetto area if I recall. Maybe that was part of the revamp zone though. I mean, it just seems the closer you get to MLK, the worse it is.
The Fanatic
I dont really consider that area very ghetto. It's all commercial property.
impala454
that area used to be mega ghetto before they bulldozed those acres & acres of run down apartments. definitely much improved now.
Mommy
QUOTE (impala454 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:33 AM) *
that area used to be mega ghetto before they bulldozed those acres & acres of run down apartments. definitely much improved now.

ahhh okay... that's what I kinda figured may have happened.
zetec
Great wall. Looks like a piece of shit hole in the wall, but damn if it isn't delish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.