Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honda's Flying Car
Techsans.net - Texas Tech Forums and Message Board > General > Off-Topic
Psykopath
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...ng-concept-car/

All it needs is a Mr. Fusion and a flux capacitor and we're good to go!
impala454
Pretty neat looking. Though I gotta say, I don't ever see any kind of fan/prop driven flying vehicle taking hold. If we ever have our everyday vehicles replaced with ones that fly, it will be some method of propulsion that hasn't been invented yet.
FORSAKENR320
QUOTE (impala454 @ May 26 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Pretty neat looking. Though I gotta say, I don't ever see any kind of fan/prop driven flying vehicle taking hold. If we ever have our everyday vehicles replaced with ones that fly, it will be some method of propulsion that hasn't been invented yet.

i agree. i think that a low-speed-flying/hovering vehicle that would be necessary to "replace" the car would simply be too inefficient on fuel

but then again, i am no chemical/petroleum engineer
chook
QUOTE (FORSAKENR320 @ May 28 2009, 07:05 PM) *
i agree. i think that a low-speed-flying/hovering vehicle that would be necessary to "replace" the car would simply be too inefficient on fuel

but then again, i am no chemical/petroleum engineer

If we had a badass battery/ portable fusion device then it would work well. No need for much road infrastructure, but accidents would be more deadly.
FORSAKENR320
QUOTE (chook @ May 28 2009, 07:08 PM) *
If we had a badass battery/ portable fusion device then it would work well. No need for much road infrastructure, but accidents would be more deadly.

i think the accident risk alone would make this unfeasible. you'd still need a road infrastructure, because i seriously doubt "safety regulations" would allow the vehicles to fly above pedestrians in the event of an accident.
impala454
I don't see it so much as an issue of power as much as a fan based propulsion... I mean, the amount of air you have to move downward to lift the vehicle doesn't change. Even if you come up with a non-fan based, but still forced-air-based, you have the same issue. You essentially end up with helicopter force winds underneath every vehicle on the road? Imagine what a parking lot would look like if 45 of these vehicles were all landing in a period of a couple of minutes... it'd be one giant dust cloud. Just don't see it happening.

It'll have to be some kinda crazy star trek electromagnetowhatsit that doesn't exist yet, where you press a damn button and it floats up off the ground. I see on discovery channel sometimes where they talk about putting magnets in the road, those people are batshit crazy, anything that involves basically rebuilding the entire road system will definitely not happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.