Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing spark plugs causes engine to stall at idle?
Techsans.net - Texas Tech Forums and Message Board > General > Off-Topic
Hartmann
I had the spark plugs and wires replaced in my Honda Accord recently and was driving it this morning and had it stall out at idle while sitting at a light. It seemed like it was fine but then at 70mph it would lose RPM and then immediately jump back up. I thought it may be a computer being reset issue, but wouldn't that correct itself after a few miles?
Mommy
Had a similar issue and it was caused by a hose issue.
chook
wires could have bad connection. Happened on my motorcycle.
Hartmann
QUOTE (chook @ May 26 2009, 10:56 AM) *
wires could have bad connection. Happened on my motorcycle.

Is it easy to see the bad connection? I checked the connection to the plugs and they all seem to be attached firmly.
impala454
check the O2 sensor connection
Dogmeat
Did you use dilectric grease in the plug boots? Did you replace the wires and use dilectric grease all around? It could be a wire shorting or arcing on you.

Also, general rule of thumb when changing spark plugs: Put the same brand back in that came out.

IE, don't waste your money on a bullshit set of Bosch +4 or +2 plugs. If it came with Champion plugs, put Champion plugs back in. If it came with Delco platinum plugs, put Delco platinum plugs back in.

just seems to work better that way.
chook
If it stalls only after heating up, it could be gap spacing, but what dogmeat suggests is more the culprit.
woody
crossed wires?

example: plug 1 & plug 2 wires switched...
impala454
definitely not crossed wires. try that on your own vehicle sometime and find out how that goes wink.gif
Hartmann
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I drove it into work again today and had a long period of the tach going to zero. The car essentially stalled while going 70mph, stayed like that for around 5-7 seconds, then the tach jumped back up to normal RPM. I'm taking it in today.
impala454
my bet is still on the O2 sensor
Hartmann
It ended up being the distributor (not the cap). The computer is sending out the signal that something is wrong with the crankshaft and turns off the car. Ick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.