> Frequent Flyer programs
chook
post Dec 31 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #1

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

I know some of us spend lots of time on the road for work. What loyalty plans have you signed up for? I have a bunch of them and recently got on continental (pretty badass cause they matched my AA status) and there are like 4 airlines I regularly fly that count towards continental miles/status with the Star Alliance.

Anybody add some that are good ones.

My Memberships
AA Advantage mileage (Sitting my ass traveling to Arkansas) (one world)
Starwoods Preferred Guest (Really transferable)
Continental Onepass (lots of airlines give points for this) (Star Alliance)
Southwest (8 round trips = 1 free, plus fly on business select for more credit)
Choice Privilege (comfort inn)
Holiday Inn's deal
National Emerald Isle (pretty badass membership rented a jeep in Hawaii over Christmas for fewer than 200, closest one was 470 for same time/vehicle)

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Dec 31 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

I use Starwood Preferred Guest heavily, even have the credit card.

Continental OnePass
BMI Diamond Club
National Emerald Aisle
Marriott
Avis Presidents Club
AA Advantage

I abuse the hell out of the BMI Diamond Club. I got a status match from my Continental Platinum status and earn 325% miles on F fares until I reach 55,000 miles, then I earn at 600%. For fun I'll fly what are called Q-UPs that United sells. They are essentially coach fares that book into first and from time to time they publish the fare with a mistake. One example is Tampa-Ontario, California for $500 in first and is bookable through multiple different stops (I went TPA-IAD-AUS-ORD-DEN-ONT) and earned enough miles for a business class ticket to Europe. Also, BMI's redemption levels are lower than anyone else in the Star Alliance so you get a lot of value for the miles.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
chook
post Jan 3 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Sounds like you are getting one heck of a deal with BMI. Too bad they fly from Phoenix to England only. and nowhere else close to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Jan 3 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (chook @ Jan 3 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Sounds like you are getting one heck of a deal with BMI. Too bad they fly from Phoenix to England only. and nowhere else close to me.

I think you are misunderstanding. I have never flown BMI, I simply credit the flights on United that are mistake Q-UPs to them. These earn at such a high mileage ratio that it wouldn't make sense to not credit them to BMI.

As an example, I qualified for Platinum on CO in 2009 in mid-July. I then flew United and credited everything to BMI. I earned enough miles then for two first class tickets to Asia.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
chook
post Jan 4 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

I think I understand. You credit all your star alliance points to them and then use them to fly with other star alliance members? IF they do the max then that is a very smart idea.

Are you ever stuck by the "Fly America" act on your travels? That kills me the most on my traveling, and how do you find the many segmented Y-up flights? I learend about the yup and qup flights today, but never seen them for a good deal.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Jan 4 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (chook @ Jan 4 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I think I understand. You credit all your star alliance points to them and then use them to fly with other star alliance members? IF they do the max then that is a very smart idea.

Are you ever stuck by the "Fly America" act on your travels? That kills me the most on my traveling, and how do you find the many segmented Y-up flights? I learend about the yup and qup flights today, but never seen them for a good deal.

Thanks.

To find the Y-UPs you can use FareCompare's tool or if you're running Windows, there is a piece of software called KVS. KVS takes a little more time but gives far more information. The biggest thing to understand when booking Q-UPs is the fare rules.

I only credit to BMI those flights that would be most beneficial in their program (after I've qualified for Plat on Continental or the Y-UPs). I've never been restricted by Fly America. While working at Shell I was required to fly Continental because we had a corporate arrangement with them for all travel. My last job just required the cheapest fare, which, when you're flying at the last minute a lot is usually a full fare Y ticket.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 06:48 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com