Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snowmobiles - Dogmeat!!
cmac
post Sep 6 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

Yo, I want to buy a used sled for this winter to get me into some untapped backcountry powder to board. I don't know anything about snowmobiles. What should I look for? What's the least bit of money I can get away with on craigslist or similar site? I'd like to try less than 4 grand.

This post has been edited by cmac: Sep 6 2009, 11:47 AM

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Sep 6 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #2

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 50

buy one of dogmeat's so that he can get the fuck out of mormon ville

--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.

Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Sep 7 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #3

DEATH TO ....something?

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

QUOTE (cmac @ Sep 6 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Yo, I want to buy a used sled for this winter to get me into some untapped backcountry powder to board. I don't know anything about snowmobiles. What should I look for? What's the least bit of money I can get away with on craigslist or similar site? I'd like to try less than 4 grand.

Well, my first thought on this is .... are you gonna be doing this with a group of people? How much back country snowboarding have you done before, and have you planned out if it's legal to snowmobile in the places you want to snowboard? If I remember right you live in CO ....

I would also recommend checking out http://www.snowest.com

There is Colorado forum there and you might want to register on there and ask people about it, I think there are some guys on there that do that. I ride with a lot of guys outta that forum.

Anyways, onto used sleds. If you're really wanting to get back country, You are gonna want a 151" or longer track. I have a 151" and a 144" and the 144" leaves a little to be desired. I do pretty well back country riding with the 151" until I get to really steep and deep hills, but keep in mind I also weigh 300-lbs when I'm fully loaded with gear. Just about every guy I ride with has a 151-155" track (track length is measured based on circumference, not contact patch length) ...

Since you are looking at used sleds, I would recommend at least a 151", but don't shy away from a 163" or therabout either. There are plenty of people who love their 162"+ tracks and if I had it to do over again I'd have a longer track than that 151".

If $4,000 is your budget, you are looking for 2006-2007 model year sleds. I will warn you, ****DO NOT**** buy a 2005 or 2006 Polaris 900 RMK no matter how cheap you can get one. Bad bad bad idea. Trust me I know, because I have one. wink.gif

I would start looking foor 2007 Polaris 700 Dragon's, 2006/2007 SkiDoo Summit X's, or 2007 Arctic Cat M7's ....

Ideally, you would want a fuel-injected sled as they smoke less and get better fuel economy.

All the Yamaha sleds as of 2003 or so are 4-stroke machines, so they smoke less and in some cases can get better fuel economy, but they also weigh on average 100-lbs more than any of the comparable two-strokes, which is a *HUGE* setback when back country riding. Most serious back country riders riding Yamaha sleds have them Turbo'd .... and have a ton of money sunk into them.

That isn't to say Yamaha doesn't make excellent sled, it's just that IMO you gotta sink way more money into them to get them to be a true back country sled, but once you do that, nothing can touch them ....

IMO, start trying to find 2007 Polaris 700 CFI Dragons, or 2007 Arctic Cat CFI M7's .... Either of those sleds can be had for ~$4,000-$5,000 now and are both very solid machines.

Check www.snowest.com out, but I'm giving you fair warning .... don't post liberal things there, you'll get eaten alive laugh.gif

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
cmac
post Sep 7 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #4

yeah a group of people. i've had lots of avalanche training so i'm pretty familiar with what to do and what not to do.
yeah, i'm in colorado. i'm not sure exactly of the laws in certain backcountry areas, but i do know that it goes on a lot, specifically vail and loveland pass and around st. mary's glacier.
cool, thanks for the info. gives me a place to start. i'll probably post some stuff on here once i find a few things. get your opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Sep 7 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #5

DEATH TO ....something?

QUOTE (cmac @ Sep 7 2009, 11:32 AM) *
yeah a group of people. i've had lots of avalanche training so i'm pretty familiar with what to do and what not to do.
yeah, i'm in colorado. i'm not sure exactly of the laws in certain backcountry areas, but i do know that it goes on a lot, specifically vail and loveland pass and around st. mary's glacier.
cool, thanks for the info. gives me a place to start. i'll probably post some stuff on here once i find a few things. get your opinion.

I snowmobile pretty regularly at Rabbit Ears/Buffalo Pass .... all around there, north and south of the highway. I can't remember the name of the Wilderness area up there, but it's illegal to snowmobile in the wilderness areas.....

I'll save my thoughts on what complete bullshit that is later, but anyways ...

I would recommend going over there and asking where the best areas to Sled/Board are in CO .... Most of the places we ride around RE I would think if you had a group of guys to go with and one could ferry you back to the tops of hills to get sleds after you board down would be cool ...

Vail Pass has, for all practical purposes, been shut down to snowmobilers. It's like snowmobiling @ Disney land there. Any off-trail travel is illegal on snowmobiles, which again, is complete bullshit.

I've snowmobiled on the actual ski runs at Ski Cooper ..... after the ski resort closes for the winter, if there is still enough snow you can go there and sled ..... it was kinda fun doing that drag racing up the ski runs smile.gif

I dunno, find some sleds you think you might want and I'll give you my take on them. Also keep in mine you will need at least a single-place ATV trailer unless you're just planning on keeping the sled on a friends trailer, but a single place ATV trailer will work for a sled and can be had for $500 or less.

Also, that is good you've attended avalanche training ... I've gone to two seminars taught by a guy named Mike Duffy. He actually teaches avalanche classes at Vail pass community college. I'd like to at least get level 1 certified one day.

I still haven't forked out the cash for an ABS pack, but I need to. About all beacons are good for is finding the corpse in the aftermath of the slide ....

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
cmac
post Sep 8 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #6

rabbit ears is by steamboat right?
i've been through there on atvs and horseback quite a bit. nice area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Sep 8 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #7

DEATH TO ....something?

rabbit ears is by steamboat right?
i\\\'ve been through there on atvs and horseback quite a bit. nice area.

yup

I'd post links to my photobucket but for some gay ass reason you cant do thtat on here

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Sep 8 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #8

DEATH TO ....something?

here, I posted a thread over there for you.....

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=...084#post1715084

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 10:08 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com