Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orlando area
impala454
post Aug 21 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

So I'm headed out there to watch the launch tuesday, and will have about a day and a half of time to do whatever in the orlando and/or cocoa beach area. Anyone know of any must-see things to do or restaurants to try?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cmac
post Aug 21 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

go to a wakeboarding cable park. it's the capital in the u.s.

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
HMWH
post Aug 24 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #3

DELETED

Member No.: 38

Chuck, I have a buddy out there so i have been out there 3 or 4 times.

Universal Stuidos City Walk
the theme parks themselves
Emeril Legasi's restaraunt
Daytona isnt far
beach would be fun
hit me up on AIM if you have other questions

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Aug 24 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #4

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

Well, Cocoa Beach is about an hour and a half from Orlando. Cape Canaveral, where I assume the launch is, is about 30 minutes from Cocoa Beach if I recall correctly. In Cocoa Beach, they have the best surf shop on the East Coast... it's called Ron Jon's surf shop. Check it out. You'll like it. Lots of neat stuff. Plus, you'll look like a total beach bum if you put one of their stickers on your truck. haha. I'm not a huge fan of the public beach in Cocoa Beach. We almost were robbed there once. Vero Beach is about 45 minutes up the road from Cocoa Beach and has a lot nicer beach IMO.

The NASA launch area in Cape Canaveral offers tours of the NASA site that are really freaking awesome. One of the bus tours of the NASA facilities even has a section where you get to see bald eagles and gators.

Orlando area: Gatorland was pretty cool and a tad cheaper than going to a Disney park or Universal park. I have the best time going to Downtown Disney. There is no entrance fee as it is just a bunch of restaurants, clubs, shops, and a movie theater. Best restaurants: Fulton's Crab House if you are willing to throw down some serious cash. Captain Jacks Seafood for a cheaper alternative to a seafood meal. The Universal City Walk is also nice. Same concept as Downtown Disney. Fantasia Gardens mini golf is on Disney property as well. It's only $10 to golf, and they have REALLY fun courses. Sea World has a water park in Orlando now, but I have never been to it.

Tampa is fairly close to Cape Canaveral if I remember correctly, but I would avoid it there. Tampa is a dump, and Bush Gardens was nothing that great.

If you have any questions about more specific things to do in Orlando, let me know. I have been there several times and love it. Have fun!

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Aug 24 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 28

go to Universal Studios or Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. Better than Disney World.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmac
post Aug 24 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (Mommy @ Aug 24 2009, 05:09 PM) *
it's called Ron Jon's surf shop. Check it out. You'll like it. Lots of neat stuff. Plus, you'll look like a huge kook if you put one of their stickers on your truck. haha.

fixed. second the Vero Beach suggestion

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Aug 25 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (impala454 @ Aug 21 2009, 03:30 PM) *
So I'm headed out there to watch the launch tuesday, and will have about a day and a half of time to do whatever in the orlando and/or cocoa beach area. Anyone know of any must-see things to do or restaurants to try?

so are you still going now that the launch was scrubbed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Aug 26 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 48

Well the first scrubbed launch wasn't until about 10 mins before, so yeah I was there. Stayed again for the try tues night/wed morning but that one got scrubbed early for tech probs. So overall was in FL from sunday afternoon until this afternoon around 3. Went to Universal Studios first day, watched blue man group that night (awesome), then drove to cocoa beach after that. Drove over to KSC the monday (I can get on site w/my badge). Messed around on site a while then hit the beach. then headed back out to the site around 7 for the 1 am launch. launch got scrubbed due to weather about 10 mins before (I swear, the only storm in the entire area, was directly over the pad). i was in the parking lot of the VAB and we didnt see a drop, and then it cleared up right after the launch window... Tuesday, hit up the beach again, then the launch got scrubbed at about 5 pm due to some valve, not going again until friday at the earliest, didnt have the money to stay 3 more nights so said screw it and went back to orlando. hit up disney this morning and then flew back this afternoon. will definitely be trying again as soon as money/vacation time allows.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 05:58 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com