http://xkcd.com/386/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

i.e. google's linux distro... hate to be negative but all the press this is getting about them "butting heads with microsoft" are hilarious. no way this thing will take any market share. and no, it has nothing to do with the features or how these OSes operate. has everything to do with how stupid people are and how people have a hard time changing something they're used to. especially when it comes to computer software.

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jul 8 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Well yeah, this isn't gonna compete with MS. This isn't even a normal OS... it's just for netbooks.

--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #4

I don't know... reading all the press and descriptions I've seen, it seems to me they're targeting all computers.

On a side note (yes more negativity, I know I'm being particularly negative) I think netbooks are the dumbest waste of money on the planet. Whoever thought of the idea is a friggin genius. Sell an underpowered computer with a tiny, worthless screen, for only a little bit less than a fully featured laptop, but people will buy them in droves because of how "cute" and portable they are. They're not any more portable than a 12" notebook. And really not that much more portable than a 14" or bigger notebook. The only situation I can imagine is that it might fit in a woman's large purse or something. And they have tiny little midget keyboards that are impossible to type on. Overall a dumb device IMHO. Definitely a cash cow for the ones making them though.

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #5

Here goes the entire netbook screen on a Dell Mini 10 (10" is pretty "big" for a netbook). Compare this to whatever computer you're using... it's sad.

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jul 8 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

lots of people will buy a computer based only on portability alone though. screw the hardware.
apple found that out with the macbook air.

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #7

but these netbooks are no more portable than a regular notebook

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jul 8 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #8

how so?
they're smaller. lighter. skinnier, in some cases. how is that not more portable?

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Well think about how you carry around a device:

1. No bag, pockets only- devices like ipods, cell phones, pdas, etc will fit.
2. Medium sized to large purse- items in #1 + perhaps a netbook
3. Man purse, briefcase, backpack, etc- items in #1 + #2 + 12-15" laptops, maybe even 17" if it's a larger bag

There is no real advantage that I can see to carrying around a 10" device vs say, a 14" device. And a few pounds doesn't make any real difference when it's in a bag. Neither does just carrying it openly. Would be like saying a smaller version of my PDA phone is "more portable" even though both fit in my pocket just fine.

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jul 8 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #10

i guess it's just a personal preference. to me a few inches and a few pounds are something to be considered when thinking strictly in terms of portability. i personally want a wider screen and more performance, so it doesn't really pertain to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jul 8 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 28

i actually bought the asus eee netbook (1st edition) when it first came out a little over a year ago.

i sometimes get frustrated with the size and slowness of it, but actually it is WAY more portable than a regular laptop. I have a monster gaming laptop that's around 7 pounds, and i never really take it anywhere.

but with my netbook, its seriously almost weightless. it feels like half a pound or less. i can put it in my gf's purse and she doesn't even notice the weight difference. it's great for traveling around, you ever know when you might need a computer to look up something, etc.

when i go on my vacation next month to china, i'm definitely not taking my $2000 laptop, i'm taking my $400 netbook. (also, in full screen, movies aren't really that bad at all).

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 8 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (cmac @ Jul 8 2009, 05:07 PM) *
i guess it's just a personal preference. to me a few inches and a few pounds are something to be considered when thinking strictly in terms of portability.

This is what they bank on people thinking. But in what manner can you carry the netbook that you can't carry a regular notebook (I would define "regular" notebook as 13-15" screen). Honestly, a woman's purse is the only situation I can think of.

QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Jul 8 2009, 06:15 PM) *
i sometimes get frustrated with the size and slowness of it, but actually it is WAY more portable than a regular laptop. I have a monster gaming laptop that's around 7 pounds, and i never really take it anywhere.

So where do you take your netbook that you wouldn't take the gaming laptop? (though a big gaming laptop is not really the comparison I'm making here)

but with my netbook, its seriously almost weightless. it feels like half a pound or less. i can put it in my gf's purse and she doesn't even notice the weight difference. it's great for traveling around, you ever know when you might need a computer to look up something, etc.

Right, a woman's purse is the only situation I can think of. But for looking something up, the PDA phone that fits in my pocket works great, and is much more portable than a netbook wink.gif. In fact, it's better than a netbook, considering it has a 24-7 internet connection and built-in GPS.

when i go on my vacation next month to china, i'm definitely not taking my $2000 laptop, i'm taking my $400 netbook. (also, in full screen, movies aren't really that bad at all).

But what about a $500 notebook that has much more screen space, faster CPU, more hard drive space, memory, and a DVD drive?

I suppose I just see these things as a fad niche. I don't see where they fit in between a PDA and regular laptop. Yes, they are smaller than a regular notebook, but if you still have to carry it under your arm, or in the same bag you used to carry, what's the difference?

I know several people that have gotten them and they're all unhappy with the tiny screen and slow performance. Regular laptops are not the giant, 10lb, $2000 monsters they used to be. In fact, it seems the companies I looked at have almost blurred the line between the netbooks and laptops, with not much price difference at all.

One other thing, it seems even the laptops, like desktop monitors, are falling under the "HD" jackass spec that companies are adding to computers. People see "HD screen" and think that's good, when on a computer it sucks. It means they're selling you a lower resolution monitor. My 8 year old laptop is 1024x768, these brand spankin new laptops barely have higher than that (if even that high).

ok... /rant off

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jul 9 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jul 8 2009, 07:17 PM) *
So where do you take your netbook that you wouldn't take the gaming laptop? (though a big gaming laptop is not really the comparison I'm making here)

i can carry it easily in a small backpack and not worry about there being a fragile computer inside. its built pretty tough actually. whenever i go backpacking in china, i would never even think about bring a laptop. i dont want it to get damaged. with a netbook, its pretty strong and small, and IF something happened, its easily replaceable.
Right, a woman's purse is the only situation I can think of. But for looking something up, the PDA phone that fits in my pocket works great, and is much more portable than a netbook wink.gif. In fact, it's better than a netbook, considering it has a 24-7 internet connection and built-in GPS.

well i don't have access to those things over here in asia, so for my situation, my netbook is perfect. plus, i have this korean technology called "wibro" where i can get a wireless connection anywhere in the city, even if i'm in a moving taxi, underground subway, basement, etc.
But what about a $500 notebook that has much more screen space, faster CPU, more hard drive space, memory, and a DVD drive?

honestly, if it were any bigger, i wouldn't travel with it as much. and for just using it for internet and basic stuff, i dont really need those extra things. it'd just be nicer, but not totally needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Jul 9 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #14

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

Fake Steve's take on it is pretty much what I think: http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets...d-get-some.html

If you ask me, Google is getting a little nutty about the Borg and it’s starting to show. They’re starting to look like the new Scott McNealy. Remember him? Ran a company called Sun, which had a great little business going until McNealy became obsessed with Gates and started doing things like paying millions of dollars to buy StarOffice so he could get into that booming free software business.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Jul 9 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,015

About netbooks:

I got the Asus eee for the sole purpose of taking it on backpacking trips around Europe. It was nice to not have the added weight/bulkiness -- it was small enough to fit inside my camera bag, something I couldn't do with my regular laptop. Also, since I didn't have a fancy newfangled phone with the interwebs, it was nice to have the opportunity to stay connected while traveling (something I haven't had the option before -- unless I shelled out some chedda for an internet cafe which may/may not be closed when I needed to use it).

I agree that for most cases, just get a notebook (taking it to school, etc...), but for certain niches they work great!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 04:05 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com