4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FAQ: Best Places to Eat Off Campus
Hartmann
post Jun 24 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

• Chimy's - Great for a margarita, tacos or nachos!
  • Spanky's - Want a burger or chicken sandwich that actually tastes good? This is the place.
  • Josie's - For a quick breakfast taco, Josie's is the best bet. Be prepared to wait in line at 2:15am though.
  • Cagle's - Lubbock is surprisingly lean on the BBQ joints, but Cagle Steaks fills the gap nicely.
  • Cricket's - Great beer selection and a decent menu of "bar" food.
  • One Guy From Italy - Affectionately called "One Guy's" this place has the calzone you want in a hurry.
  • Little Panda - Right across from campus, Little Panda is great when you have a craving for Chinese.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psidancer
post Jun 25 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Fantastic!

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

The place I miss most since leaving Lubbock is Little Panda, especially the one right across campus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Jun 25 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (psidancer @ Jun 25 2009, 01:46 AM) *
The place I miss most since leaving Lubbock is Little Panda, especially the one right across campus.

Added.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Jun 25 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,015

Dude, you all have to be joking about Little Panda -- sure it's cheap but C'MON! Do you KNOW how many health violations they repeatedly got. You couldn't pay me to go eat at that place.

Also: Thai Pepper, Rosas, and Jaliscos

--------------------

+Quote Post
Psykopath
post Jun 25 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Live like a warrior.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 4

Thai Thai, FTW!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 48

I have not lived in Lubbock since April of 07, so obviously things have probably changed some, but here's my restaurant take:

Localized to Lubbock:

Spanky's - Can't say I ever really thought Spankys' burgers were anything special, but I do think they have the best fried cheese ever.

Burgers - My favorite burger in town is a toss up between Skooner's "Burger to beat all burgers" or Bonus Burger. Bonus Burger is cheap and has great tots to go along with it, and Skooner's has great beer specials.

Cagle's - I've come to find that you either absolutely love their steak (ribeye only, order by the thickness) or don't care for it. It's all in the rub they use. Personally I love it and always make it a point to get out there whenever I'm in town. Same thing with their other favorite of mine, their potato salad. It has a heavy pickle flavor so, like the steaks, either you really like it or don't.

Orlando's - Ok this place gets talked up way too much IMHO. Fairly decent food, but I have to mention them because I think they have the absolute best chips & queso in town. Weird, yes I know, that I would say this about an Italian restaurant. But I mention it because I think anyone who hasn't tried it should.

Chain restaurants:

On the Border - always good stuff, IMHO the best fajitas in town. They seemed to be the only ones who understood that the best fajitas still have a little pink.

Abuelo's - Good Mexican food that's a little more high brow than the other Mexican restaurants in town. Good date place. Go and do yourself a favor and get a plate of medium rare pork tenderloin medallions and their mashed potatoes. Best mashed potatoes in town. Make sure to ask for the hotter salsa too, it's purty good if you can handle it.

Wingstop - The one on Slide near the loop is the best one I have ever been to. The people knew us by name and seemed to actually care about their customers. Best french fries ever IMHO.

Chick Fil A - The one on Slide at the loop. Weird to mention I know, but we got to know the owners there and this place was damn good as far as fast food goes. They were 5th highest in ratings for the entire company at one point.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 27 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

there's a fast food italian place..can't remember it, but it's pretty good for fast food italian... starts with an S

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 27 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 48

You thinking of Fazoli's? That place was always good for what it was. Never seen another "fast food italian" like that. Great breadsticks.

edit: Maybe you're thinkin of Stella's. That place... eh I always thought it was overhyped, but that's just my take. Their regular restaurant was way overhyped and overpriced IMHO.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 27 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 27 2009, 01:22 PM) *
You thinking of Fazoli's? That place was always good for what it was. Never seen another "fast food italian" like that. Great breadsticks.

oh yeah i think it was fazolis

--------------------

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Jul 5 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,015

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 26 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Burgers - My favorite burger in town is a toss up between Skooner's "Burger to beat all burgers" or Bonus Burger. Bonus Burger is cheap and has great tots to go along with it, and Skooner's has great beer specials.

I forgot about Bonus Burger -- I used to eat there about once a week. Damn good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Jul 7 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #11

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

I miss Orlando's. They had the most amazing fried zucchini.

I miss Little Panda as well, but I preferred the one on Slide that collapsed.

Rosa's was yum as well.

Then there was this giant Chinese buffet on University past 50th. That place RULED.

+Quote Post
jwttu
post Jul 7 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12

I like Orlando's because they take a Texas spin to the Italian restaurant. I like when people make the food their own. It isn't the best Italian food but it is good.

My favorite local bbq is J&M off of 34th street, but for a chain Rudy's is really good.

And my favorite steak so far is Las Brisas. Cagles is also good for the price. I haven't been to double nickel yet but they are pretty pricey.

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jul 22 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #13

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Member No.: 46

Places to avoid:

Spankys - If you're looking for the most over-rated eating experience in West Texas, then spankys is the place for you! Tasteless frozen fries, Dry non existent patties overloaded with condiments and a friend cheese log with little to no flavor! Don't get me wrong, homemade cheese "sticks" are amazing in concept but they don't add proper flavoring and spices to the batter to make it worthwhile. What's left is a case of clogged arteries and a possible stroke.

Caprock Cafe - Horrible food and portioning. Not worth the price. Stay away from this shit hole.

Good food includes:
Gardskys on broadway - overall good food

Five guys burgers and fries- It just opened up where moe's used to be (on 19th and quaker). It's a chain but they have great burgers and fresh cut fries! Much better quality then spankys.

Ruby Tequilas - good tex mex

Picante's- over on 34th... great food

Home Cafe - By far one of the best eating experiences in Lubbock, it's on 34th st and has been featured in Texas Monthly but it's kind of pricey and it's only open for lunch mon - fri. Gourmet chef husband and wife team. It's worth checking out.

Orlando's

One guy from italy - Stick with the pizza or calzones

Jumbo Joes - surprisingly very good burgers

Jaliscos - cheap margaritas on tuesday and decent tex mex.

Great Wall - Good food

Saigon Cafe -

Shoguns - Pretty good hibachi style food. I've heard tokyo's is better but i've never been.

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
jwttu
post Jul 22 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 22 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Five guys burgers and fries- It just opened up where moe's used to be (on 19th and quaker). It's a chain but they have great burgers and fresh cut fries! Much better quality then spankys.

just make sure to be nice to the guy who works the cash register in the evening, he is a pretty cool guy whistling.gif

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jul 22 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #15

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (jwttu @ Jul 22 2009, 10:35 PM) *
just make sure to be nice to the guy who works the cash register in the evening, he is a pretty cool guy whistling.gif

Is he... you?

Ive only been there during lunch time.

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2018 - 01:34 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com