> apocalypse/crisis/survival/preparation
psidancer
post Jun 14 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #16

Fantastic!

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (THECHICKEN @ Jun 14 2009, 09:11 AM) *
Nuke doesn't actually mean end, especially with as low yield as N. Korea has, you would still have a chance of living (so might want to know closest place to find radiation treatment).

He has a point. How bad can one of Kim Jong-il's radioactive cherry bombs be.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #17

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Jun 14 2009, 10:06 AM) *
i don't have anything stocked up really, besides just normal stuff in the cabinets and fridge.

my situation, however, is more real than most people, i believe. since im in korea, i do think about what i would do if we were attacked.

for one, there's no reason to stock up on water and food, because the plan for survival is just to get the hell out. so here we go...

first of all, if it's a nuke, then that's that. i'm doomed. but if they come across the border, then my plan is to first go as far south as possible. south korea is a really small country, but seoul is only like 30 min away from the border. however, most of the troops are in the northern part, so i just need time to flee to the south to be safe for at least a few days maybe. obviously it'd be a panic, so no public transportation. i've thought about getting a scooter/motorcycle or something to have just in case, but i might just steal/buy one if it came down to it.
once i'm down there, i gotta leave. japan's closest, but that's also not safe, since they're also north korea's enemy. therefore, i'm going to china.
planes are outta the question, so by boat. i'm taking a ferry to china next month actually, so maybe illl learn something then. however, any boat of any kind going south or west, i'll take.

other than that, i know where my passport is, and i'd just take that and withdraw as much cash as possible, then gtho. i've got my american bank account too with money just in case.

to me, that sounds way to organized of a panic. (i know your plan is purposely broad spectrum, like an over all goal) but i think the human element has been completely left out of this. there will be the looters, the murderers, the panic, the stealing, all of that. not everyone will see this as a mad dash for the border to get away, alot of people will refuse to leave in the first place, and alot will think they can take advantage of the situation. how will you protect yourself on your trip south? you have no food, no weapons, nothing to trade or offer to recieve passage. i'm not attacking you, but "go south" isn't much preparation to make your trip easier. basically, what could you do NOW, that could give you an advantage over everyone else around you later?

if i were in your situation, i'd have a backpack with a hydration bladder, with about a weeks supply of those high calorie survival bars for food. right now, that seems the best thing for you, so that you wouldn't have to stop as often to eat or rest as those around you. you'll be on foot/bike the majority of the way, so you'll need your strength. i'd stay off the main roads as much as possible, to reduce your chances of a hostile incident happening. since you would want to stay as light as possible to keep your speed up, i'd suggest getting a 6'x8" waterproof tarp. if my understanding is correct, it's supposet to be fairly wet where you are? that tarp, with a bit of 1/8" thick nylon rope will suffice for shelter. the tarp is also useful for several other things, such as several types of water collection. usually, i always packed a shower curtain when i went camping. it does all the same things, but is smaller and lighter. you'll need a flashlight (preferably a crank one that has a cellphone charger on it) a multitool, and a mosquito-net hat covering. (this i think would be your most useful item, if you can't get a full periods rest due to the bugs pestering you, your speed will slow drastically)

there is more, but i think i'm already getting carried away. heh

--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.

Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 14 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #18

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

QUOTE (THECHICKEN @ Jun 14 2009, 09:11 AM) *
Nuke doesn't actually mean end, especially with as low yield as N. Korea has, you would still have a chance of living (so might want to know closest place to find radiation treatment).

well, i live right in the middle of seoul. that's why i'm saying if it was nuked, i'm sure i'd be a goner from the blast itself.
if i knew it was coming then sure, i'd go down in a big basement of some kind to wait it out as long as possible, but when would anyone really know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 14 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 14 2009, 10:29 AM) *
I would think that planes would be safer than boats

the airport is right next to seoul, and on the coast. it's right across the border from north korea. i just imagine planes being shot as they try to take off...or just the airport being bombed. it just doesn't seem so safe. also, everyone will be trying to get to the airports.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 14 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (FORSAKENR320 @ Jun 14 2009, 04:29 PM) *
to me, that sounds way to organized of a panic. (i know your plan is purposely broad spectrum, like an over all goal) but i think the human element has been completely left out of this. there will be the looters, the murderers, the panic, the stealing, all of that. not everyone will see this as a mad dash for the border to get away, alot of people will refuse to leave in the first place, and alot will think they can take advantage of the situation. how will you protect yourself on your trip south? you have no food, no weapons, nothing to trade or offer to recieve passage. i'm not attacking you, but "go south" isn't much preparation to make your trip easier. basically, what could you do NOW, that could give you an advantage over everyone else around you later?

hmm well, the vast majority of koreans believe nothing will happen anyway, so i think there would be a high percentage that won't even try to flee.
but even if they do, there are tons of stores everywhere. it's not like the states where you have to drive to walmart. just within a 1 minute walking distanc to my place, there's about 10 different grocery stores and convenient stores.
but honestly, i don't see myself needing that much stuff because heading south doesn't mean traveling for a week really. it only takes about 6 hours from one end of the country to the other (by car).
i dont have to go all the way south, but just far enough to get out of seoul, where all the major fighing would be.

officially, the us embassy is supposed to evacuate all american citizens in the case of something like this happening. i'm signed up to their lists and they talk about it often. but i'm not counting on that, in case of a panic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #21

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Jun 14 2009, 06:29 PM) *
hmm well, the vast majority of koreans believe nothing will happen anyway, so i think there would be a high percentage that won't even try to flee.
but even if they do, there are tons of stores everywhere. it's not like the states where you have to drive to walmart. just within a 1 minute walking distanc to my place, there's about 10 different grocery stores and convenient stores.
but honestly, i don't see myself needing that much stuff because heading south doesn't mean traveling for a week really. it only takes about 6 hours from one end of the country to the other (by car).
i dont have to go all the way south, but just far enough to get out of seoul, where all the major fighing would be.

officially, the us embassy is supposed to evacuate all american citizens in the case of something like this happening. i'm signed up to their lists and they talk about it often. but i'm not counting on that, in case of a panic.

thats true, but do you really wanna leave it all to chance? thats prolly the biggest point i am trying to understand from everyone with this thread. just how much of your safety is each person willing to leave to chance and "have faith" they will be ok? it's kinda how i define myself as paranoid.

on another note though, korea may be full of wack-jobs, but i don't think either north or south korea is stupid enough to attack civilian targets. i doubt they'd be shooting planes out of the sky, the same way i doubt that any country with half a brain would purposely target hospitals. thats political suicide, and would bring the wrath of the entire united nations down on them.

but i'll be honest, i simply cannot relate to your level of trust that you won't even need to pack a lunch to escape safely... my brain rejects every fiber of that idea so harshly that i cannot even think about it properly

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #22

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

QUOTE (Seeker @ Jun 14 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Jonathan you should buy some potassium iodate.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/potiodkio3th.html

In the event that South Korea is nuked and you survive you'll want some KIO3 pills to stop your body from absorbing radiation.

have you read all of that in your link? i love this part

1) Your thyroid runs on iodine.
2) Your thyroid is a pig.
3) Your thyroid is stupid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jun 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 31

if it's my time, it's my time.
it's been a good run.

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #24

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

QUOTE (cmac @ Jun 14 2009, 07:52 PM) *
if it's my time, it's my time.
it's been a good run.

don't know why, but i figured you'd say that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #25

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

you know, i find those survival kits and "first aid kits" to be the most over priced pieces of crap ever. my personal first aid kit cost me about $30 to make myself, but it's got more stuff in it than the $89 first aid kit does.

a little tip:: buy a box of unscented heavy flow maxi pads to put in your medical kits. they work just as well as those "blood stoppers" they have in those over priced trama kits.

also, buy a small box of Pectin. they sell it at walmart in the section where you buy/make perservatives. (about $2 for a box) it's the jelling compound thats in jello. sprinkle this liberally on the wound, and it will jell the blood to stop the bleeding. add the maxi pad to the top, and using a large gauze bandage, TIGHTLY wrap a rock, block of wood, tightly rolled sock, or ball of ducttape directly over the wound. this acts as leverage to keep tight pressure on the wound. if the wound is bad enough to require this in order to get the person to a safe place, additional proceedures will need to be taken. the pectin is easily cleaned out of the wound with the wound solution i mentioned earlier, then you can stitch/ superglue the wound shut. i f it is a puncture wound (like a gun shot or stab wound) these have to be treated differently, though the very first step is the same. STOP THE BLEEDING.

another tip:: if you apply a gauze wrap, and it gets soaked through, add another layer. do NOT remove the soaked layer, this removes the clotting of the blood thats already taken place, and you have to "start over"

i don't know the whole process on treating a gunshot wound, but a stab wound i do know. the first step will be controlling the bleeding. do the steps as above (the Pectin also keeps the wound from sucking in air, which can cause complications) once you are safe, the wound will need to be deep cleansed. this is painful, but it involves spraying out the entire wound forcefully with wound solution. do not use plain water, as it will cause infection. (a sqeeze bottle with a straw, for instance) you can't stitch a puncture wound, and they will need to breath as much as possible. the reason being that the scab will form, and it will be the primary sealing method of the puncture wound (it forms directly to the shape of the wound, etc. a bandage or bandaid is essentially replacing the scab when you apply it) as you move, the scab cracks, causing more leaking, needing direct air to clot and seal it (this is why you don't move victims as much as possible) so you will need to loosely apply sterile gauze to keep the wound clean. if you have iodine, regularly treat and wash the wound and area surrounding it with the iodine to keep out infection. other than that, unless you have advanced medical knowledge, there is not much more you can do. the body takes care of it's self. keeping infection from happening is really the only thing. of course, if the puncture wound is a clean, straight, knife cut, that is gaping open, stitching will definately be required. you should use a Surgeons knot

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Surgeon.html

there is a continuous surgeons knot that i know for wounds requiring more than 1 stitch, but it's harder to learn, especially if you don't have the 1st one memorized. avoiding infection is usually as easy as applying antibiotics directly to the wound before closing, redness and puffyness is normal. keep the wound covered and dry for at least 48 hours, apply cleansing and antibiotics twice a day.

wow, i just realised i went on a tangent hardcore, and i'm not even sure if what i typed is all completely coherant in the proper steps...

This post has been edited by Psykopath: Jun 15 2009, 04:32 PM
Reason for edit: Requested removal of mask ad by Seeker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #26

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

QUOTE (Seeker @ Jun 14 2009, 11:10 PM) *
the masks aren't fist aid kits they're simply masks used to filter biological agents and are more effective than your standard n95 mask

i know, i was looking at the other things on that site.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jun 14 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #27

this is painful, but it involves spraying out the entire wound forcefully with wound solution. do not use plain water, as it will cause infection. (a sqeeze bottle with a straw, for instance) you can't stitch a puncture wound, and they will need to breath as much as possible.

holy crap that is no joke. when they cleaned out my wound below they squirted some liquid at high flow that was ice cold for about 30 minutes until the entire bottle was empty. my whole body went numb with cold. thought i was about to get some hypothermia or something. hurt ten times more than the act of ripping my leg open itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #28

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

wow, how'd you get that one?

and btw, how did the dr's handle that procedure? i always like to learn more about medical treatment, it's one of those skills i think are of the absolute importance be preserved in a crisis

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 14 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #29

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

oh, one other tip. a wound is never near as bad as the blood makes it look. face wounds bleed horrendously, but they're usually just small nicks. and you can suffer a chest wound with very little bleeding, but is fatal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jun 14 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #30

bike crash. slammed leg into a tree stump and just gutted out the inside of it. you could see tendons and ligaments and muscle. pretty gruesome to everyone else, but i thought it was kinda cool. the adrenaline was too strong for any sort of pain to kick in.

so after sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours the doctor cleaned it out with the above description and then debated for another hour if it was too wide for stitches and if it would need surgery. they finally were closing down the minor emergency clinic and sent me to drive myself to the hospital down the street. hospital er took one look at it, cleaned it out for five more minutes, sewed it up with 18 stitches and sent me home. quick procedure actually. hiked a 14er a week later.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 12:49 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com