> apocalypse/crisis/survival/preparation
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 12 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #1

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 50

i am curious, how many of you share some level of paranoia about anything? doesn't matter what it might be that you fear, but what steps have you taken to protect yourself in the event of your fear happening? i'm not talking about zombies, or something laughable, i mean something real. tornado plan? those near the south, hurricanes, floods, etc?

(i ask because i saw a news article on yahoo, that was talking about how people are "preparing" more, as a whole, globally)

--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.

Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 12 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

my biggest fear? losing my job because Obama wants to hand money to lazy assholes who won't work for a living instead of continue to support manned spaceflight.

hurricanes... I went through Ike and can definitely say people around here are much better prepared for hurricanes now. evacuations went well (way better than the insane stuff that happened with Rita). I know people will store up water and now have generators and 3-4 fuel jugs per household now.

though I don't know if either qualifies as genuine paranoia considering they're definitely good probabilities of happening.

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 12 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #3

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

"good probabilities" i feel are subjective. no matter how random an incident might be, surely someone might be preparing for it.

what about you impala? anything you do? do you always stock a certain amount of food, keep empty water jugs, or have a emergency plan formulated? i ask honestly btw, i know how the internets can give people the wrong vibe.

for myself, i don't ever think i have prepared enough. though i have the basic plans for natural disasters (preparing for those is pretty much all the same) i tend to go for the more "out there" scenarios, but mostly be cause i am 90% convinced that something may actually happen. i've always felt that it's "better to have something, and never need it, than need it, and not have it"

i suppose that my number 1 paranoia is that the mechanisms that support our law will fail. thats pretty broad spectrum, but essentially what i get at is that i fear the point where my safety can no longer be ensured by the society that insists it's there to protect me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Jun 13 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 721

I have a pistol, a shotty, and a semi-auto ak rifle variant. Also other general cutting instruments and a medium size dog (pit mix). Mostly for any kind of protection needed that may arise (from home invasion to big brother needing to be fought off). Also have home alarm system. Thats about the worst things I worry about. Gas, food, etc. may come to a screeching halt (which i think there is a large chance of happening at least for a minimal time period) but im not really "stocked up" for anything like that... mainly because i don't have the means at the time being.

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 13 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (FORSAKENR320 @ Jun 12 2009, 11:35 PM) *
what about you impala? anything you do? do you always stock a certain amount of food, keep empty water jugs, or have a emergency plan formulated? i ask honestly btw, i know how the internets can give people the wrong vibe.

I read about some things that this administration has done that bother me second amendment wise. Like the military now has orders to shred their old 5.56 brass and sell it for scrap rather than sell the casings to the ammo reloading companies (which is also a huge drop in profits for the military).

I have to say that the ammo shortages that have been occuring ever since Obama took office do bother me, and that whenever I'm at walmart or drive by an academy I will stop and check and see if they have my calibers in stock and pick up a few boxes if they do. So I typically have a pretty decent amount of ammo laying around. I'll go to the range and shoot a few boxes, then buy 5-6 boxes to replace them whenever I find em. Right now at a quick glance I have:

1,100 .22
1,000 .45
500 .38 (though about 200 of these are old, dirty ammo. nice black cloud when I shoot them lol. last resort heh)
300 .357
300 .223

as far as food... I usually have a lot of canned beans, corn, soup, tuna, chicken, etc around, but that's just normal, not for any disaster preparation or anything. I also have three 5 gallon jugs for my water cooler that I usually keep full, but again that's just normal, not for any kind of disaster preparation, though it would come in handy. I have a few 5 gallon fuel jugs, but keep those at my dad's storage with his generator for now until I get a house down here. I think once I own a house down here I'll probably do more for storm/disaster preparation.

one thing you might say is kind of a disaster prep that actually came in very handy during Ike, was having large, powerful battery backups. I have an APC 1500XS that my PC, server, u-verse box, and one monitor are connected to. I can completely lose power but not lose internet. I actually had internet all during Ike and on through about 10am the next morning, and only lost it then because the neighborhood VRAD finally lost its battery backup. I could have tethered my sprint phone to continue getting it, but sprint had shut off internet service due to the large call volume and emergency useage of their towers. I also used the battery backup to run my TV with antenna for a few minutes a few times to check the news and weather.

the other reason this setup comes in mega handy is it allows me to use some software/webcam I developed to monitor my place. it's motion activated and will take video in one minute increments as long as there is motion. every time a file is finished it gets uploaded to my remote web server. so if someone breaks into my place, even if they completely destroy the computer or shut off power before going in, I'd still have them on video. I even have the software set up in such a way that it will text me when a new motion video is created and I can watch the video from my phone. It has come in handy to monitor the maintenance people when they have come in to fix stuff while I was at work to make sure they were messing with my stuff.

I know you're into weapons and stuff... I have a couple of large swords and some other misc weapons, but for the most part they're just for show. The swords are very real, made by united cutlery, 420 stainless and very well made, but have a false edge. I'm sure I could have an edge put on them, but if someone is breakin into my place I'm reaching for the .357 not the sword wink.gif . Besides, they'd be very bulky to carry in your "apocolypse" type scenario anyhow. I have been wanting this one as kinda a final piece to my LOTR collection, but it's really hard to find now. That one, with an edge put on it, would probably be a pretty nice little people cutter. since I've already rambled on for a long post, here's a pic of my "wall 'o movie weapons"

As I said, mostly these are for fun/decoration, but the swords would probably be pretty nasty if I had a real edge put on them. And those nunchucks are definitely real and could easily crack skulls. Basically two solid wood beatsticks connected with a rope lol. The whip I guess could do something in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with it (not me). Obviously the lightsabers are worthless for combat, but when I was in Lubbock me and my roommates would scare the shit outta each other in the middle of the night with them (very bright).

here's a pic of all the guns again, if yall haven't seen em:

left to right, colt defender .45, springfield 1911 mil-spec .45, smith .357 7 shot, ruger mkIII hunter .22, bushmaster M4A3

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Jun 13 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #6

DEATH TO ....something?

Member No.: 55

http://www.nightmaretargets.com/home.html

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
psidancer
post Jun 13 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Fantastic!

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jun 13 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Obviously the lightsabers are worthless for combat, but when I was in Lubbock me and my roommates would scare the shit outta each other in the middle of the night with them (very bright).

Are you kidding, those are at least worth one good shredded face apiece. And the ensuing mercury poisoning would just be a bonus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Jun 13 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #8

DEATH TO ....something?

Member No.: 55

you guys need to buy a bunch of those targets

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 13 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #9

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

you only got a 2 point sling on your bushmaster? shame... upgrade that to a 3 point sling, they cost $30 at spectergear.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 13 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #10

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

i completely agree with you impala, on the ammo thing. it's very strange to me that there is no ammo available, but then again, why try to fight the system and remove peoples guns, when you can just render them all useless? i know that they say it's because of lead prices, but it's just lasted too long for this to be realistic. i haven't even been going to the range, just to conserve what ammo i do have, even thouigh it's not as much as you seem to have.

i need to take more current pictures, as soon as i get organized again, i will do so. but in addition to everything below, there is quite a few new things i haven't bothered to photograph. among these, is a 65 gallon waterproof bin that i store all of my non-essential survival gear, as well as all my food and other such things. it's strapped to a movers dolley for ease of transport, so that it can be tossed into a trunk or some such. inside, i have everything from my 2 million watt search light (i recently found out there is a hand crank version of this, so i plan to upgrade soon) to my spare medical supplies. i have 12 bottles of iodine prep solution. as long as no one is allergic to iodine, it's good. there is a month and a half supply of non-perishable food inside that bin. as long as i have access to water. spare rope, tools and a few other things are in there, and alot of homemade things (for some things, there really is no need to purchase them, when you can make your own, such as a complete fishing kit from PVC pipe with end caps) in prep my own cleaning solution, and have a few bottles in there as well. (take a water bottle, add 2 teaspoons of iodine salt. screw the cap tightly, shake, and let sit. you'll know that the iodine is killing all organisms in the water, because bubbles will form on the sides. dress all your wounds with this instead of tap water, that will cause infection)

i've also printed out a few PDF files of books, and sealed these up and put them in there. usually it's survival guides, but i am planning to expanmdn to other areas. i need help with medical and agriculture, so i will prolly get both of those. (i am also including burned disc's with the pdf's.)

the things that aren't listed in the photos are prolly the most important, such as a breakdown of whats in my survival kit, medical kit, backpack, messkit, and pockets, etc. but, i currently got all that stuff prepacked in my gear, ready to just be put on in a moments notice, and i'm lazy.

i am always upgrading my own equipment, but what that leaves me with is alot of spare things, so i have decided that i no longer just prepare myself for those situations, i have spare gear for several people. (survival in groups is much more likely than survival solo)

--------------------

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Jun 13 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #11

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

(wouldn't let me post all the pics in one)

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 13 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #12

3 point sling? eh it's not that big of a deal to me. I might accessorize it some eventually but I'm not all that concerned with it. the extent of my mods to those guns has been putting the hogue grips on all the semis after liking them a lot on the .357 (came stock on it). I also replaced the rear trigger sear in the .22 pistol to make it an even lighter pull.

sounds like a good idea w/the container 'o stuff

that bat is hilarious man... definitely wouldn't want to get hit with it though

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jun 14 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #13

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

i don't have anything stocked up really, besides just normal stuff in the cabinets and fridge.

my situation, however, is more real than most people, i believe. since im in korea, i do think about what i would do if we were attacked.

for one, there's no reason to stock up on water and food, because the plan for survival is just to get the hell out. so here we go...

first of all, if it's a nuke, then that's that. i'm doomed. but if they come across the border, then my plan is to first go as far south as possible. south korea is a really small country, but seoul is only like 30 min away from the border. however, most of the troops are in the northern part, so i just need time to flee to the south to be safe for at least a few days maybe. obviously it'd be a panic, so no public transportation. i've thought about getting a scooter/motorcycle or something to have just in case, but i might just steal/buy one if it came down to it.
once i'm down there, i gotta leave. japan's closest, but that's also not safe, since they're also north korea's enemy. therefore, i'm going to china.
planes are outta the question, so by boat. i'm taking a ferry to china next month actually, so maybe illl learn something then. however, any boat of any kind going south or west, i'll take.

other than that, i know where my passport is, and i'd just take that and withdraw as much cash as possible, then gtho. i've got my american bank account too with money just in case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Jun 14 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Jun 14 2009, 10:06 AM) *
i don't have anything stocked up really, besides just normal stuff in the cabinets and fridge.

my situation, however, is more real than most people, i believe. since im in korea, i do think about what i would do if we were attacked.

for one, there's no reason to stock up on water and food, because the plan for survival is just to get the hell out. so here we go...

first of all, if it's a nuke, then that's that. i'm doomed. but if they come across the border, then my plan is to first go as far south as possible. south korea is a really small country, but seoul is only like 30 min away from the border. however, most of the troops are in the northern part, so i just need time to flee to the south to be safe for at least a few days maybe. obviously it'd be a panic, so no public transportation. i've thought about getting a scooter/motorcycle or something to have just in case, but i might just steal/buy one if it came down to it.
once i'm down there, i gotta leave. japan's closest, but that's also not safe, since they're also north korea's enemy. therefore, i'm going to china.
planes are outta the question, so by boat. i'm taking a ferry to china next month actually, so maybe illl learn something then. however, any boat of any kind going south or west, i'll take.

other than that, i know where my passport is, and i'd just take that and withdraw as much cash as possible, then gtho. i've got my american bank account too with money just in case.

Nuke doesn't actually mean end, especially with as low yield as N. Korea has, you would still have a chance of living (so might want to know closest place to find radiation treatment).

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 14 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #15

I would think that planes would be safer than boats

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 08:58 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com