Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Folding@Home
dauss
post Apr 5 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Anyone do any Folding @ Home? I've picked it up again and I'm not getting good results with a 3 year old laptop and a 3 year old desktop. Thinking about getting a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT and a new power supply for the sole purpose of folding.

--------------------
Beers that I have had, updated July 5th, 2009: 1,548
My Beer List

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - Mahatma Gandhi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Apr 6 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

never tried that particular one, but i did that stuff in college a long time ago.

don't hold your breath on getting results dude...it's rare for a single person to find anything important. its just the fact that all these computers together will accomplish something.

oh and btw...i don't think a video card nor power supply will help you that much. im pretty sure it has everything to do with your CPU.

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 6 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 48

I used to run it on my work PC. Yeah it's all about CPU cycles. Video card/memory won't matter.

+Quote Post
dauss
post Apr 6 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #4

If you guys haven't folded since last 2006, there have been significant improvements with Folding@Home. GPU clients are the new thing. Anyways, fast processors used to be the best way of folding, but using video cards and their dozens of cores can compute even faster. Results are measured in points per day(don't know how they are calculated), and I am averaging between 400-700 points per day with both machines combined. An Intel Core Duo T2500 notebook and an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ desktop. A PS3 will do about 1000 points in 12 hours.

Even with the fastest mutlcore desktop processors, you'll struggle to get to 2000 points per day, even a middle range Nvidia video card will do 4000+. ATi has some sort of issues, but they are trying to figure a way to optimize the folding.

--------------------
My Beer List

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - Mahatma Gandhi

+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 6 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 48

Interesting... I may give it a shot (got two big video cards and a pretty monster system at home, core i7 too). Though I wouldn't want the video cards to run hot all day long.

+Quote Post
dauss
post Apr 6 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #6

It's really taken off huge. They have ways to keep track of your own work units with your own ID and teams. It is really interesting on how much it has taken off in the past few years. Wikipedia says that Folding @ Home is operating at 5 petaFLOPS at all times now. Depending on which site, a few forums have cash prizes and PNY just got into the game with a bunch of drawings and raffles for people who fold. I know my laptop and desktop are on all day doing nothing and might as well put them to use. It's a much better cause than some of the other distributed computing programs out there.

--------------------
My Beer List

+Quote Post
chook
post Apr 6 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

I guess its dealing with protein folding? I am seriously out of the tech loop.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Apr 6 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #8

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 50

yea, i had to wiki it

--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.

Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!

+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Apr 7 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 721

So do they give rewards or coupons or something, for letting them use esources on peoples computers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Apr 7 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #10

doubt it. i guess you just feel good about it and pat yourself on the back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dauss
post Apr 7 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (THECHICKEN @ Apr 7 2009, 08:37 AM) *
So do they give rewards or coupons or something, for letting them use esources on peoples computers?

A lot of those overclocking and tech forums have prizes that they will give away. You can join those teams to try to win something, but if you have a computer that is just powered on for a majority of the time(IE while you are sleeping or at work) it doesn't take up much resources to contribute. There are results that have been published. I think it is a worthy cause.

--------------------
My Beer List

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Apr 7 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #12

oh yeah i used to be on the techimo team back in the day...wow. totally forgot about that til you mentioned it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dauss
post Apr 30 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #13

Well, I just spent some money on a Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT. It's in a Dell E521, so there are a lot of constraints on what I could put in. Anyways, it's about a $90 card. In about 20 minutes, my Athlon 64 X2 3800+ did about 3% of the work unit, and the 9800GT did 20%.

--------------------
My Beer List

+Quote Post
blaarg
post May 1 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,015

I did SETI in high school and in college I flipped to the Mersenne Prime Search which I have been doing the past four years. I guess I should flip to the protein folding as I think that has a better "benefit" than finding large ass prime numbers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dauss
post May 17 2009, 07:22 AM
Post #15

This is ridiculous. The improvements in processing power for a video card to play computer games have found another purpose. GPU computing has huge potential. Nvidia has developed CUDA, and having great success applying their technology for data crunching. Anyways, here is my progress with my folding. There are projects that are being run on networked PS3's running custom code and having the computing power rivaling super computers.

Gigabyte 9800GT can finish a 768 point work unit in about 4 hours. I'm also running the standard CPU client as well, and my AMD Athlon x64 3800+(Dual core 2.0ghz processor) can finish a 638 point work unit in 38 hours. That's just crazy.

--------------------
My Beer List

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 02:28 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com