Reply to this topicStart new topic
> R.I.P. KTXT (1961 - 2008)
Oasis
post Dec 11 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,243

QUOTE (plusthebear @ Dec 11 2008, 06:06 PM) *
Whether or not you enjoyed the music played on KTXT (and if you didn't, why bother posting in here? don't you have other things to do?) shutting it off in such a shitty way was completely unnecessary. At least give notice so they could have a final show.. but that would probably go against their whole plan of turning it off after classes were over. This whole situation is ridiculous.

It was handled in a cowardly manner, I don't think anyone will dispute that. What else would you expect from Tech?

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Dec 12 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #32

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

QUOTE (Watchman @ Dec 12 2008, 02:45 PM) *
You can donate to KTXT here: http://www.techsans.net/ktxt_donate.html

Subtle. laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/

+Quote Post
Epic
post Dec 12 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 27

i'm proud of Lance. I've read a lot of the comments on facebook related to this issue, and Lance appears to be the only one actually tackling the issue that someone other than Tech is going to have to pay for this.

the university decided they didnt' want to pay for it anymore, so there has to be some substantial fundraising to take place. way to go lance.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 12 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,015

QUOTE (Epic @ Dec 12 2008, 04:08 PM) *
i'm proud of Lance. I've read a lot of the comments on facebook related to this issue, and Lance appears to be the only one actually tackling the issue that someone other than Tech is going to have to pay for this.

the university decided they didnt' want to pay for it anymore, so there has to be some substantial fundraising to take place. way to go lance.

I think everyone is banking on a "reinstatement" at this point -- as it only JUST happened a few days ago. I'm sure if after a week or two has gone by, a donation site would have been set up once they can get an idea of how to go from here in the event the station doesn't get University funding and can get back on the air. As for now, I am saving my donation money until I can get a better assessment of how the University handles this massive student support for the station.

It seems like everyone is just in a state of shock and there is really little organization at this point (other than e-mail/phone officials) for a wide range protest/organization/etc... No doubt if no immediate turn-around happens these things would come.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 14 2008, 05:24 AM
Post #35

Is the donation page down?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 14 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #36

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (blaarg @ Dec 14 2008, 06:24 AM) *
Is the donation page down?

works 4 me

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 14 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #37

this is what I get:

"We are no longer accepting donations, and all donations that were received will be returned to the original donator.

For all the latest news and updates on the KTXT ordeal please visit the "Save KTXT 88.1 FM" Facebook group.

Total amount raised so far: $500.00"

--------------------

+Quote Post
chook
post Dec 14 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #38

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

Nice try lance.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 14 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #39

Am I the only one that has problems giving money over the internet to people I don't know? I mean, how do we know that giving money to them will solve the problem? If they still don't start up KTXT again, what will become of the money?

+Quote Post
KTXTStaff
post Dec 14 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 9,327

I'm Blake Porter, Station Manager of 88.1 KTXT. First off, I would love to tell you where this money is going (this is the reason I held off on taking donations for the moment). We are not actively fund raising yet, but we are accepting donations if people wish to offer them. First off it is going to making promotional materials to help our effort and educate more people about the shut down. If a process in our reactivation needs to raise money, those funds will be transferred to that effort. If we are re-instated without the need for independent funds the money will go to a charity organization within Texas Tech. If we are permanently shut down (a situation that is becoming more and more unlikely with every hour) the fund will be donated to an outside charity that promotes multimedia education.
I would also like to let everyone know where they can find more information about the effort to save 88.1 KTXT. The central "hub" of information is the facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4009...gid=40095606811 ). And if they have any questions for me personally they can contact me at ktxtfm@gmail.com or give me a phone call at 972-310-9619.

Thank you all for all of your support and I would like to let you know I have very high faith that KTXT will live on.

-Blake Porter <Station Manager>

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 14 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #41

Mr. Porter,
Some of us on here are blunt to the extent of being rude (myself included); however, there are some excellent suggestions in this thread. If KTXT is reinstated, I think some serious changes are in order. Good luck.

-Jessica

+Quote Post
rabble
post Dec 15 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #42

START THE REACTOR!

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (Mommy @ Dec 14 2008, 07:55 PM) *
Mr. Porter,
Some of us on here are blunt to the extent of being rude (myself included); however, there are some excellent suggestions in this thread. If KTXT is reinstated, I think some serious changes are in order. Good luck.

-Jessica

As a former KTXT DJ, I agree that there needs to be changes to the format of KTXT. The idea of a completely student run radio station is amazing however I feel that sometimes the whole of the university population is not fully appreciated in the play lists.

I think that the student media department would be very receptive to reopening the station if instead of focusing mainly on alternative "indy" music, the format was expanded to include pop/rock hip-hop/rap (even though it feels like selling out, sometimes you need to compromise) and focusing on sports and university events as they occur (sports talk shows for pre/post games) to more fully cover what the students of the university want.

Also, think about partnering with the DT to bring some news updates and news talk I think would do wonders to smooth over relations with student media.

--------------------
FUCK YOU

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 16 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (rabble @ Dec 15 2008, 10:40 PM) *
As a former KTXT DJ, I agree that there needs to be changes to the format of KTXT. The idea of a completely student run radio station is amazing however I feel that sometimes the whole of the university population is not fully appreciated in the play lists.

I think that the student media department would be very receptive to reopening the station if instead of focusing mainly on alternative "indy" music, the format was expanded to include pop/rock hip-hop/rap (even though it feels like selling out, sometimes you need to compromise) and focusing on sports and university events as they occur (sports talk shows for pre/post games) to more fully cover what the students of the university want.

Also, think about partnering with the DT to bring some news updates and news talk I think would do wonders to smooth over relations with student media.

They do/did have a hip-hop show -- didn't play the "Lil Wayne" but some underground acts that were pretty good. As for news updates, they did have a weekly (or possibly twice a week) show where they discussed headlines and events for two hours. In the same vain they had a sports show as well.

I agree with you though, something pre-game would be nice, but it seems like there is already a more established Tech pre/post-game show already on air, however a student run one would be interesting. I also agree with advertising/focusing on Texas Tech events that are out of the realm of the "indie" crowd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chook
post Dec 16 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #44

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

QUOTE (blaarg @ Dec 16 2008, 03:54 AM) *
They do/did have a hip-hop show -- didn't play the "Lil Wayne" but some underground acts that were pretty good. As for news updates, they did have a weekly (or possibly twice a week) show where they discussed headlines and events for two hours. In the same vain they had a sports show as well.

I agree with you though, something pre-game would be nice, but it seems like there is already a more established Tech pre/post-game show already on air, however a student run one would be interesting. I also agree with advertising/focusing on Texas Tech events that are out of the realm of the "indie" crowd.

Like doing a show from Raidergate.

The hiphop was good, whenever they had it. I didn't hear it my last year. They had metropolis talking about comic books more than they talked about sports. That is when I would turn them off.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 16 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Watchman @ Dec 16 2008, 11:36 AM) *
i put up http://www.savektxt.com with a copy of the donation page

Nice job with the site Lance. Very concise and to the point.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 09:28 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com