> R.I.P. KTXT (1961 - 2008)
cmac
post Dec 11 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #16

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

posted in facebook group....

We're winning!
I just got a call from KTXT Station Manager Blake Porter. He said that KOHM has agreed to let 88.1 transmit and broadcast!

ALL WE NEED IS TWO THINGS:
SPACE and MONEY

This is not as daunting as it sounds. Texas Tech is one of the largest campuses in America. Space there surely is.

As for money.
This is the Texas Tech Budget for Fiscal Year 2008:
http://www.irs.ttu.edu/Reports/StateReport...8SkinnyBook.pdf
It can be found here:
http://www.irs.ttu.edu/Reports/StateReport...get/default.htm

FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, I'VE POSTED SCREENSHOTS FROM THE BUDGET PDF HERE:
http://sites.google.com/site/save881/money
I'll upload them to the group photos as well.

I'll summarize what the budget tell us:

Let's say that the University was about to go into the red. We could make up some of this on our own.
But Texas Tech isn't about to go into the red.
Far from it.

Keep in mind that what the University had $164.35 million appropriated to them from the state for FY 2008.
Total current Funds Revenues for FY 2008?
$218,898,035

Let me say that again:

218 million, 898 thousand, 35 dollars.

Did you know they spend 2 million dollars on the golf course?

That's right. $218.9 million dollars -- a fifth of a BILLION -- and Texas Tech can't find a few dimes to squeeze together to keep their half-century old radio station on air.

For some reason, I'm reminded of The Big Three and AIG. But I digress.

Station Manager Porter says we're close to our goal. But we have to tell the head people that we won't stand for this. That KTXT can't be killed this way. Tell them all that you've been telling the Group and the newspapers; that this station is a part of your life, a part of your past, that it's a part of Lubbock.

We have to keep up the pressure for the station to live.

Remember: a call is better than an email, and both a call AND email is best.

-------- CONTACT --------------

TEXAS TECH PRESIDENT:
Guy Bailey
techpres@ttu.edu
Office of the President
Texas Tech University
150 Administration Building
Box 42005
Lubbock, Texas 79409-2005
(806) 742-2121
(806) 742-2138

TEXAS TECH PROVOST:
Jane L. Winer, Ph.D.
jane.winer@ttu.edu
Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Office of the Provost
TTU
PO Box 42019
Lubbock, TX 79409-2019
(806) 742-2184 Office
(806) 742-1331 Fax

TEXAS TECH CHANCELLOR:
Office of the Chancellor
124 Administration Building
Mailstop 42013 Lubbock, TX 79409
(806) 742-0012 | (806) 742-8050 fax
Chancellor@ttu.edu

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
woody
post Dec 11 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Hartmann @ Dec 11 2008, 02:15 PM) *
I'm sure someone will blame it on iPods or something...

Shifts in broadcast media in recent years have allowed for fewer jobs in radio broadcasting and more opportunities in new media: Webcasting, podcasting and video. This has prompted changes within Student Media, which is dedicated to promoting student learning experiences through practical applications.

http://media.www.ktxt.net/media/storage/pa...7077.shtml#more

--------------------

+Quote Post
woody
post Dec 11 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 32

BAILOUT KTXT!!!

oh ya, they complain $2mil on a golf course. how much $ does the gold course bring in?

KTXT:
Expenditures for KTXT-FM's equipment and maintenance operations over the past four years, on average, have consumed more than 41 percent of Student Media's financial resources. During that same time period, the station has generated less than one-quarter of 1 percent of the department's revenues.

And i agree with Will & Jess, no one but the workers and their friends listened to that station

This post has been edited by woody: Dec 11 2008, 03:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Dec 11 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #19

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Member No.: 46

What kind of shitty big 12 school doesn't have a radio station...

oh yeah Texas Tech...

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 11 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #20

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,015

Concerning the advertisement: because the station is technically listed as "educational" under their FCC license, they are VERY strict rules rules for what can be said during advertisement over the air. From what I can glean from the discussion, they can only "advertise" a company/slogan/address/phone# and NOT anything concerning sales or "deals" with the business (basically a typical "advertisement" would be: this portion of KTXT is brought to you by... type stuff).

Putting ad revenue aside, why not allow fundraising drives to at least off set the costs of the station. From what I've gleaned as well, all attempts to recently implement this was shot down by Student Media.

Even if it is something that you think was lame/stupid/dumb at Tech, it is something that has HISTORY and TRADITION attached to it (I mean it has been around for 47 years). I for one could probably not care less if the Saddle Tramps existed, but it is one of the very few things that Tech has going for a LONG time -- so yeah I support the "concept" of the Saddle Tramps wholeheartedly even though I might not care about the people so much. Similarity, regardless if you like ktxt music, it is something that makes the campus at least unique and somewhat respectable -- at the very least something to tell potential students visiting Tech for a tour "Over there we have our student run and operated campus radio station"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Epic
post Dec 11 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 27

things could have changed, but most of the people that i knew that worked at ktxt when i was in school were pretty big music snobs. I wanted to be a DJ and they said "don't worry if you don't know what good music is. we'll teach you what good music is." and controlled your playlists. So they themselves were pretty big fans of censorship.

They were also usually pretty lazy when it came to fundraising. Their advertising always struggled and their "guerrilla publicity" was lost among the rest of the "guerrilla publicity" that every other indie scene was pushing. They didn't commit to the survival of the station by taking care of the one issue that has been brought up for years, that they were costing far more than they were bringing in. It costs money to run a radio station if you want to broadcast, and you have to have the leadership and listening base to have solid advertising. If any other entity on campus was that cost ineffective it would have been shut down too. Yeah, maybe they didn't do it the right way, but i remember threats of closing down KTXT as far back as 5 years ago.

So for me, it's sad, but it was coming.

Play snobby music and say that you know better than the listener nets you a limited and isolated fan base. Without strong ratings, you don't get advertising dollars. No ad revenue, and you're stuck without a budget.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Dec 11 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,015

QUOTE (Hartmann @ Dec 11 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Financial reasons?! What is so expensive? The annual AM costs?

They are using one of the largest transmitters for ANY campus radio station in the nation (that big one by the Spirit Arena -- yeah they bum off that). Other than that, I know they have 5 paid board members, and that's it. Powering it is the big sink hole of $$$. That is actually one of the suggestions they had was to transmit at a lower power and/or reduce the 24 hour format. If only Student Media heard of the word compromise before pulling the plug so abruptly...

--------------------

+Quote Post
plusthebear
post Dec 11 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,326

Whether or not you enjoyed the music played on KTXT (and if you didn't, why bother posting in here? don't you have other things to do?) shutting it off in such a shitty way was completely unnecessary. At least give notice so they could have a final show.. but that would probably go against their whole plan of turning it off after classes were over. This whole situation is ridiculous.

+Quote Post
SLBBT
post Dec 11 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,325

QUOTE (Mommy @ Dec 11 2008, 02:03 PM) *
I think that the reasons "cutting off the student voice" and "KTXT had great programming" are the GAYEST reasons EVER to keep that radio station up and running.

First off, the students still have the free speech zone. Secondly, the newspaper isn't going anywhere for a while, and if it does it will be replaced with a web version of the news. Finally, KTXT played really crappy music that nobody gave a damn about except the few people that worked there and their friends.

The ONLY valid reason to keep that station up and running is that it is excellent training for those majoring in radio and tv broadcast or whatever they call it. It's great experience. That's the sad part. Now those students won't have anywhere to work or intern because I am sure the few local stations are already scraping the bottom of the barrel to get by. Radio and TV are a dying industry. So are newspapers. What they SHOULD look into is an internet broadcast. How many students sit there and listen to music on their computer while they type a paper? Internet is the way to go. If they weren't generating a profit, than it is because they were being poorly managed. They should have started other advertising schemes and other broadcast methods. Hell, even Podcasting so students could put it on their mp3 player and listen to it. They also should have stopped being so artsy fartsy. It's cool to play obscure. It's not cool to play a bunch of trance music that no one even likes.

The whole notion of a free speech zone is ridiculous--and would only exist in the "backassward zone" that is Lubbock, Texas. That's why many people--not just a few--mourn and fight the passing of KTXT: it was the only radio station that didn't play the same old bs that some people in this town consider to represent the whole universe of music. I agree with you that some of their music was artsy-fartsy, and some of it was trance--which I also hate--but there was plenty of other stuff on there too. In fact, KTXT was as diverse as the dozens and dozens of DJs I have heard there over the year. No other radio station can claim to haved allowed so many people with such diverse tastes to play what they want. In another city, I agree, KTXT would have been just another shitty, weird college radio station. Here it was the only place to turn when you were sick of the same TOP 40 songs playing over and over again.

By the way, you're "gayest" reason thing is fairly offensive to me.

+Quote Post
Epic
post Dec 11 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #25

yeah, i agree that it could have been handled differently, but i personally choose to believe that there were signs and indication prior that if they didn't start turning revenue to support their intentions then they wouldn't be around much longer. i remember reading about it in the UD 5 years ago.

and why post in here if i didn't like the music? my answer is simple: if people are going to bad mouth my alma mater because they chose to stop funding a money sink that caters to a small listening audience while we find ourselves in a recession, i'm going to say something.

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Dec 11 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #26

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Epic @ Dec 11 2008, 04:49 PM) *
things could have changed, but most of the people that i knew that worked at ktxt when i was in school were pretty big music snobs. I wanted to be a DJ and they said "don't worry if you don't know what good music is. we'll teach you what good music is." and controlled your playlists. So they themselves were pretty big fans of censorship.

They were also usually pretty lazy when it came to fundraising. Their advertising always struggled and their "guerrilla publicity" was lost among the rest of the "guerrilla publicity" that every other indie scene was pushing. They didn't commit to the survival of the station by taking care of the one issue that has been brought up for years, that they were costing far more than they were bringing in. It costs money to run a radio station if you want to broadcast, and you have to have the leadership and listening base to have solid advertising. If any other entity on campus was that cost ineffective it would have been shut down too. Yeah, maybe they didn't do it the right way, but i remember threats of closing down KTXT as far back as 5 years ago.

So for me, it's sad, but it was coming.

Play snobby music and say that you know better than the listener nets you a limited and isolated fan base. Without strong ratings, you don't get advertising dollars. No ad revenue, and you're stuck without a budget.

Sounds like a day at Championship Vinyl.

Barry's Customer: Hi, do you have the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" It's for my daughter's birthday.
Barry: Yea we have it.
Barry's Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
Barry: No, no, you can't.
Barry's Customer: Why not?
Barry: Well, it's sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called to Say I Love You? Go to the mall.

Louis: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
Rob: Sold.
Louis: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
Barry: Because you're not a geek, Louis.
Louis: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we're not.
Louis: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
Louis: Which is everybody...
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...
Louis: That's so sad.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 11 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #27

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

Let me clarify a few things.

Stephan, print and broadcast journalism are suffering big time, especially newspapers and radio stations. It is not too far fetched a notion that these start to disappear. CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX are struggling as well. NBC is having big money problems this year, so much so that they are canceling all tv shows at the prime time spot 9:00 and moving Jay Leno to that spot 5 nights a week. Why? Because production costs of new television shows to fill those spots is too expensive for them to afford. He will now come on BEFORE the nightly news instead of after. Media outlets have to make an internet presence to stay afloat. That is why college radio is struggling. They need an internet presence. They need to make their programming available for Podcast. Yes, they need new advertising strategies, but they also need new programming outlet ideas. We are at a day and age where mp3 players and satellite radio are very popular and are overtaking local radio stations. At Texas State, they were expanding their student-run paper to include an internet presence. That means new advertising outlets and a broader readership. In fact, most papers are only staying alive because of their Web sites and the ad revenue the sites generate. KTXT needs to get with the times.

Secondly, SLBBT, I NEVER said that KTXT needed to start playing Top 40. It wouldn't kill them to play music that people actually liked. Whenever I listened to them, they were either playing dance and trance or some other funky type of music. In fact, I never even programmed them on my radio because nothing good was ever on. I have no problem with them playing more obscure rock or more obscure hip hop (not my fav, but I realize some out there like that kind of stuff). Hell, even Texas country. They don't need to play pop songs, but they do need to play popular GENRES of music.

Thirdly, free speech doesn't exist. To think that student radio stations help generate a student voice is nonsense. All it does is help move students' careers forward by giving them valuable experience at working at a radio station.

Finally, I don't care if the word "gay" offends you or anyone else.

+Quote Post
chook
post Dec 11 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #28

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

QUOTE (plusthebear @ Dec 11 2008, 07:06 PM) *
and if you didn't, why bother posting in here? don't you have other things to do

Because the internet is for ranting. I listened to KTXT my sophmore and part of my junior year. What I hated is when modest mouse had their hit Float On. KTXT all of a sudden wouldn't play any of their stuff because it wasn't indie enough.

I went to the station a couple of times for Sgt. Steve Monday and went to a couple of ktxt house parties. Some people were cool some weird, but they all thought their music taste was better than you. Its sad to see it, but just like Blue, I am not suprised.

Grego was a DJ there I think. Remember when he "made" that song and posted it here.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
chook
post Dec 11 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #29

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

Oh yeah, their hip hop was pretty cool. Got to see that Lubbock hip hop scene actually existed.

"Gotta Make em beleive"

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
Epic
post Dec 11 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #30

maybe alumni support could be pursued to support KTXT. they employed dozens of students every year ya? so i assume they have jobs and that may be part of the solution.

i'm being completely serious.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:43 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com