Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vegeterian, From a proud meat eatin texan
The Fanatic
post Jul 11 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 46

So, i'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian for a month or two just to see if maybe my fat ass can lose some weight doing it. In actuality, it's more of an experiment to see how my body reacts to no longer eating meat every meal. Any suggestions and helpful hints from those who have tried vegetarianism? I'm esepcially interested in still staying meaningfully healthy. And if you don't want to contribute anything meaningful that's fine, please don't post. I DO NOT have any sort of PETA affiliation. I will post my results in this forum as time progresses. I probably won't start this trial until monday of next week.

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Jul 11 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #2

No day but today...

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

It's not directly related, but if you are on Facebook, there's an application called My Diet that I have been using. You keep a food journal and an activity journal, and you weigh in and it keeps track of your goals and stuff. Honestly, the best part is the food journal - I have kept myself from so many temptations because I didn't want to add it to my journal and see those calories on paper!

--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss

+Quote Post
chook
post Jul 12 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #3

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

just make sure you have enough protein and minerals like iron or iodine that is usually found in meat. If you went fish only, its not a bad idea.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
James
post Jul 12 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Fool

Member No.: 56

Just eat various nuts instead of meat.

--------------------
Spam? Isn't that something poor people eat?

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 12 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 48

No way in hell I'd give up meat, but I did give up all carbonated drinks (including diet drinks) for a couple weeks and noticed I felt better and slept better. I gave in though sad.gif

Let us know how it goes.

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jul 12 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Don't gorge on pasta.
Don't gorge on cheese either, though I presume you're including milk/eggs in this diet?
Stay away from most of the hyper-processed vegetarian foods (i.e. Boca, Morningstar). They're often no better than their corresponding hyper-processed non-vegetarian counterparts.
Try new foods (fruit/veggies/grains).
Possible sources of protein will be: beans, nuts, tofu, seitan, tempeh, dairy, and eggs... but you don't actually need as much protein as you think. Most Americans eat about 3x as much as they need.
If you want to invest any money, I'd recommend a cookbook called the Veganomicon (it's vegan, but has super-tasty stuff). If not, tell me a little about your tastes and I could forward you some recipes.

--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jul 12 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #7

I'll already eat pretty much any fruit or vegetable. I'm not giving up milk and eggs. My tastes? Hmm, I don't know... there's not much that I won't eat.

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Jul 12 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #8

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

I think there is a lot that you could do. Until I started eating some chicken, I was mostly vegetarian. If you're wanting to do this to be healthier, that's cool. I think it's a good way to cleanse the body. Once you start eating meat again, try meats that are lower in fat. Turkey bacon, for instance, is 55% less fat than regular bacon. I have gotten a lot of people to start eating it. It's pretty tasty. Stay away from red meat. Chicken is a lot healthier, and you can do so much with it. It grills up nicely so you have less fat. Fish and shrimp are also good. Basically, just stay away from red meat for a while when you go back to eating meat if losing weight and staying healthy is your ultimate goal. Plus, when you haven't eaten meat in a while, it's a BAD idea to eat a giant juicy steak. You'll have a bad stomach ache for a couple of hours.

As far as the vegetarian thing, I'm not big on stuff mixed together or tofu so a lot of your typical vegetarian meals I don't enjoy. I make spaghetti all the time, and it's still pretty good without meat. If you want a super healthy treat, you could try making the sauce from scratch, but it takes a while.

Try making vegetarian pizzas from scratch too. I mean, the fact that you are using all fresh ingredients instead of processed already makes it healthier. Plus, you can chose a cheese that is reduced fat. They sell pizza dough made by Pillsbury in the section that has slice and bake cookies and stuff. That's probably a little more simple than trying to make the dough yourself. Just chose ingredients that are fresh and are reduced fat.

The thing that will make this easier for you is making choices that aren't too far off from the way you regularly eat, but still making healthy choices. Completely turning your food habits around just sets yourself up for failure. Just go fresh, limit your carbs (I don't see carbs as that big of a deal, but apparently they cause weight gain... I've never had this problem and carbs are all I eat), reach from all areas of the food pyramid, and be creative.

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jul 12 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Yeah i've made my own pasta sauce before... it's time consuming but well worth the effort. I used fresh tomatoes, minced garlic cloves, onions, bell peppers, various Italian spices, mushrooms, some tomato concentrate. Sauteed the vegetables and then I let them simmer in the tomato juices/spices for awhile, of course when I originally made this the sauce also included Italian sausage and ground beef. Thanks for the tips. I am defiantly rather carbohydrate heavy right now but I plan on cutting back my bread and pasta consumption but not eliminating it. Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
chook
post Jul 13 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #10

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

QUOTE (The Fanatic @ Jul 12 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Yeah i've made my own sauce before... it's time consuming but well worth the effort.

laugh.gif

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jul 13 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #11

blush.gif

--------------------

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jul 17 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #12

How's the vegetarianism experiment going?

I had a fantastic meal last night... Asian marinated tofu (baked), wasabi mashed potatoes, and asparagus. My very carnivorous boyfriend liked it too, though we did agree that the marinade would be good on chicken as well.

--------------------
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

+Quote Post
Seeker
post Jul 17 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2

if you want to lose weight then eat six small meals a day spaced out about every three hours and do some weight training along with some form of aerobics like running

if you want to be a vegetarian i would recommend that you buy some quinoa which was a staple food of the incas and is cosidered a super-food in south america... it has a huge protein content and the protein is a complete-protein (very rare), so you get all the protein you need despite not eating meat

quinoa cooks and tastes like rice to me

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 48

yeah weight training is a huge part of it people tend to overlook.

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jul 17 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #15

I second the recommendation for quinoa. It's tasty and fantastically versatile. Your best bet in Lubbock would probably be to buy from the bulk dept. at Market Street.

--------------------
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:35 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com