> Chapel planned for Texas Tech Campus
Dogmeat
post May 17 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #16

DEATH TO ....something?

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Psykopath @ May 17 2008, 12:51 AM) *
Well, either it was the e-persona or you're unAmerican.
(I'm kind of against any sort of chapel on a public university to begin with, given the whole no church/state mixture thing...I mean, I can see pluses and minuses to the whole thing, but it makes me a bit uneasy... )
But hey, whatever.

Well, that's ok there Zach, I understand! If they were going to allow those communist pinko relegious weirdos into a chapel that was supposed to have GOD worshipped in it, I'd feel uneasy too!

ok but on a serious note...

Why do I have visions of this idea backfiring radically and the place being bombed or something? heh smile.gif

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chook
post May 17 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #17

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

its probably just a moneymaker as people stated. Who would want to get married in Lubbock anyways?

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post May 17 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #18

No day but today...

Member No.: 5

I wouldn't want to get married in Lubbock. But I would have been interested in being able to get married on the campus where my husband and I first met...

Perspective ftw.

And yeah, I think it will be more for performing marriages and holding receptions/events than it will be to impose religion on anyone. It's not like they're bringing in a preacher/minister/priest to run the chapel.

--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post May 17 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #19

DEATH TO ....something?

QUOTE (kcroxyoursox @ May 17 2008, 05:35 PM) *
I wouldn't want to get married in Lubbock. But I would have been interested in being able to get married on the campus where my husband and I first met...

Perspective ftw.

And yeah, I think it will be more for performing marriages and holding receptions/events than it will be to impose religion on anyone. It's not like they're bringing in a preacher/minister/priest to run the chapel.

We need Jerry Falwell.

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post May 31 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #20

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 46

I don't personally agree with it because whether it be one faith or every faith there should still be a separation of church and state. Plus, while the church may be funded with private dollars it will be located on public property. The whole project seems tainted with ulterior motives. I don't really trust Kent Hace...

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post May 31 2008, 03:28 AM
Post #21

DEATH TO ....something?

well this whole freedom of relegion thing has been completley bastardized.

if it was just different denominations of christianity, everything would be ok, as this is what the founding fathers OBVIOUSLY intended, but then you get a bunch of god dammned communist pinkos invading this country trying to destroy it and then you get a bunch of people with ass-backwards relegions that worship everything from goats to false prophets who aren't jesus who seem to think the hard working christian folks of america owe them something, and that's how you get this mess!

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
Mommy
post May 31 2008, 03:42 AM
Post #22

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post May 31 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #23

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 46

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post May 31 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #24

CHEE CHEE

Member No.: 39

I don't like the idea of "privately" funded buildings being built on a public university. "privately funded" just scares me. I'm curious who or what organization donated the money? that is not a common thing is it?

not that i necessarily care if the university chose to have a "chapel" on its campus but also curious what other public-non religion associated universities have such a thing.

--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might

+Quote Post
Mommy
post May 31 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Testm0nkey @ May 31 2008, 11:35 PM) *
I don't like the idea of "privately" funded buildings being built on a public university. "privately funded" just scares me. I'm curious who or what organization donated the money? that is not a common thing is it?

not that i necessarily care if the university chose to have a "chapel" on its campus but also curious what other public-non religion associated universities have such a thing.
ummm a lot of buildings on campus are built through private donations. Take the Business Administration building at Tech for instance. I believe all the funding for that came from one person. UT's business building is the same way.

+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post May 31 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #26

CHEE CHEE

money donated to the school at large i dont consider "privately funded" per say IMO. i know the meaning of the words its the idea behind them

like a person/org. paid money for the exact purpose of religious intention on a public university is what i have an issue with

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 31 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 48

why do you have an issue with it?

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Jun 1 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #28

I understand what you are saying. I do...

It's just that I don't see too much of a difference. I mean, the guy that donated the money to Tech for their BA building did so with the exact purpose of getting a new BA building built.

Now, a lot of other privately funded buildings are on campus that are for religious purposes. Texas State has a Baptist Student Ministry building. I assume that was privately funded by either a person or organization. I guess my point is, it isn't that rare. Additionally, the fact that this building can be used by any faith (at least in theory) is a plus also. I see it as a good thing. If people are that afraid of religion then they need to hide in a box. It's not illegal to go door to door passing out religious pamphlets (a judgment handed down by the US Supreme Court so it's legally binding in every part of the US). I don't see a problem with having a building where students can go to get away from their studies and the busy life of being a student. Some find solace in their religion.

+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Jun 1 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #29

CHEE CHEE

well with that same kind of thinking whats wrong with all the student ministries on university 100m away from campus?

i mean tech could have used that money for something, imo, more useful and necessary

and we already have a cultural/international center where religious things used to be housed

im not going to protest this or anything but thats my opinion. although i would have a problem if the money came from some fanatical group, like baptists. HOHOHO

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jun 1 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 48

cat, it wasn't tech's money to spend. they simply allowed it to be built. like has already been said it's probably just going to be a moneymaker for people having weddings in it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 05:19 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com