Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Graduating, Finally
blaarg
post May 7 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,015

QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2008, 08:36 AM) *
Move to Detroit, then come back and post in this thread where only 11.3% of the population has a degree. I think you take your situation for granted. There are millions out there that don't get the opportunity to go to college handed to them

That is EXACTLY what I am getting at. If degrees WERE harder to come by (i.e. even if it was 11.3% or 1 out of 10 get them) , then it would be more of an accomplishment and warrant a "Congratulations!" thread. Now though, college graduates are a dime a dozen, so it's not that big of a deal.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 7 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 7 2008, 09:32 AM) *
I just think it is something that is more expected if anything nowadays.

huh.gif

something that only 25% of population does is "expected"? run that math by me one more time...

+Quote Post
Mommy
post May 7 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #33

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 7 2008, 09:43 AM) *
That is EXACTLY what I am getting at. If degrees WERE harder to come by (i.e. even if it was 11.3% or 1 out of 10 get them) , then it would be more of an accomplishment and warrant a "Congratulations!" thread. Now though, college graduates are a dime a dozen, so it's not that big of a deal.
Well, in Spivey's case, he has something to be proud of even by your standards because he is the first in his family to make that accomplishment.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post May 7 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (impala454 @ May 7 2008, 08:47 AM) *
huh.gif

something that only 25% of population does is "expected"? run that math by me one more time...

so when have you started trusting statistics enough to make a point with using them?!
tongue.gif

Maybe "expected" was a bit of a hyperbole... What I'm getting at is that it's a a frequent enough occurrence to render it not a big deal. Take a PhD for example, THEN that's a big deal because of the infrequency that those are handed out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chook
post May 8 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #35

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

blaarg is empty because he found out indie music sucks.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
False Dude
post May 8 2008, 07:10 AM
Post #36

POTATO OLES

Member No.: 17

BAs/BSs may be pretty commonplace in some circles but its still a big deal at the individual level and due right to be one! after years working towards something - to accomplish it feels great

- testm0

ok ok ill switch membernames now

--------------------
death to false dudes

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 8 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 7 2008, 10:36 AM) *
so when have you started trusting statistics enough to make a point with using them?!
tongue.gif

Just using your own numbers against you bud. Forgetting about the topic completely, I was just saying the raw statement that "Something that is done 25% of the time is expected" makes zero sense.

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 7 2008, 10:36 AM) *
Maybe "expected" was a bit of a hyperbole... What I'm getting at is that it's a a frequent enough occurrence to render it not a big deal. Take a PhD for example, THEN that's a big deal because of the infrequency that those are handed out.

So if 25% is no big deal, then what % is? 5%? 10%? Methinks your goal (which was achieved) in this thread was to belittle. Congratulations. You just belittled someone who got their college degree and is happy about it.

+Quote Post
chook
post May 8 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #38

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Member No.: 68

QUOTE (impala454 @ May 8 2008, 08:38 AM) *
Just using your own numbers against you bud. Forgetting about the topic completely, I was just saying the raw statement that "Something that is done 25% of the time is expected" makes zero sense.
So if 25% is no big deal, then what % is? 5%? 10%? Methinks your goal (which was achieved) in this thread was to belittle. Congratulations. You just belittled someone who got their college degree and is happy about it.

5% would be statistically significant in most circles.

I still say congrats to Spivey, and now he is leveled up and going to go for his masters.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post May 8 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #39

GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (chook @ May 8 2008, 11:26 AM) *
5% would be statistically significant in most circles.

I still say congrats to Spivey, and now he is leveled up and going to go for his masters.

i'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle?

--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.

Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!

+Quote Post
blaarg
post May 8 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (impala454 @ May 8 2008, 07:38 AM) *
Methinks your goal (which was achieved) in this thread was to belittle. Congratulations. You just belittled someone who got their college degree and is happy about it.

Oh please, spare me. Just because it's an unpopular position doesn't mean I'm out to belittle people, it's just stating my opinion on a topic. You of all people should know that based on how many unpopular posts you make...

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 8 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 8 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Oh please, spare me. Just because it's an unpopular position doesn't mean I'm out to belittle people, it's just stating my opinion on a topic.

Just fess up. You came into the thread and made a smug, belittling statement and apparently got your rocks off on it. Why people get off on doing this type of thing escapes me.

QUOTE (blaarg @ May 8 2008, 03:42 PM) *
You of all people should know that based on how many unpopular posts you make...

This wasn't a posted news story with commentary and discussion, it was someone posting about how happy they were to graduate, and you felt the need to belittle him. Does it make you feel better about yourself or something?

+Quote Post
Mommy
post May 9 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #42

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

i decided I'm not walking again. I read online yesterday that graduates have to sit on the floor while the ceremony is going on. I don't know if they literally mean the floor of if they mean a bunch of folding chairs on the gym floor but I don't want to risk it. I'm too pregnant to sit on the floor. Plus, my brother is in town with my parents. Even though he is 15, he can't sit through a ceremony that lasts a few hours. He has been way too hyper and out of his routine while on this trip (autism). So ya... never walked for high school, never walked at Tech, and not walking now.
*shrug* oh well

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 9 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #43

Yeah by sitting "on the floor" they mean you'll be sitting in chairs on the basketball court. I totally understand though, I hate graduation ceremonies.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post May 9 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (impala454 @ May 8 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Just fess up. You came into the thread and made a smug, belittling statement and apparently got your rocks off on it. Why people get off on doing this type of thing escapes me.
This wasn't a posted news story with commentary and discussion, it was someone posting about how happy they were to graduate, and you felt the need to belittle him. Does it make you feel better about yourself or something?

Wow, I never could have imagined that you know my intentions more than myself.
I was merely stating my opinion on graduating in a thread entitled "Graduating," nothing more nothing less (you know the same reason why I state my lack of enthusiasm for TTU Football in threads entitled "[TTU] Preseason Rankings," not because I am trying to "get my rocks off" on upsetting everyone excited about the upcoming season, it is simply my opinion).

I don't think I need to explain myself any further regardless of how many relentless/accusatory/snide comments you will inevitably feel the need to make after reading this; you'll end up believing whatever you want to believe and no amount of words I can write will seem to change it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
impala454
post May 9 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #45

Go look up the word belittle, then come back here and tell me that's not what you did.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2018 - 01:47 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com