6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this reasonable?
cmac
post Mar 20 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

numbers zero through nine should be spelled out.....
smile.gif

edit: kidding. obviously...

This post has been edited by cmac: Mar 20 2008, 11:02 AM

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Epic
post Mar 20 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

i got a great education from Texas Tech, from a respectable and nationally recognized philosophy department and a decently ranked English department. Not sure how transfering out and possibly losing credits could have benefited me.

I work in education, and I've come across a reality backed up for a study in every research journal I read. Unless you're entering into a specific science field, medicine, or high-stakes corporate law, where you get your degree is meaningless as long as it is accredited. No point in going $80,000.00 into debt to be a teacher.

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #18

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

Unless you are seeking what Blue said, college in general is the biggest waste of fucking money ever. You pay $30,000+ to put that you have a degree on your resume.

On a side note, Blue, I thought the Philosophy Dept. at Tech was on nationally recognized on the graduate level?

+Quote Post
Epic
post Mar 20 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #19

We are a top 10 master's only program, but we are also distinguished for the program in general, both in student work, faculty work, and other program accomplishments. Thanks in part to certain professors pushing to get students approved to present at regional and national conferences.

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #20

Well, let me say that Dr. Schaller is the absolute worst professor I have ever had in my student experience. I don't know if you ever had Sarah Chant...she taught there as a guest professor (or whatever they are called) for 2 semesters...best professor ever...and they let her go on to Florida State for a permanent position there. Curzer is a good professor. Webb is pretty good too. I didn't really find anyone extraordinarily compelling though besides Chant and perhaps Curzer

+Quote Post
koreanp1e
post Mar 20 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #21

KP

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Jessica @ Mar 20 2008, 10:31 AM) *
elsewhere is 1 word

apparently, you forgot to put '.' at the end of your sentence.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/qhfxm

+Quote Post
Epic
post Mar 20 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #22

yeah, schaller is a dick, but he's easy to nail to the floor. And don't take this too personally, but you get out of it what you put in. Since you rushed through to finish early, i doubt you got out of the program what I, and others did, so I saw the nuances on how we were accomplished.

+Quote Post
koreanp1e
post Mar 20 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #23

KP

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (impala454 @ Mar 20 2008, 08:38 AM) *
How about you don't get your panties in a wad when you get razzed after dissing Texas Tech on a fucking Texas Tech message board full of Texas Tech students & graduates. mmmk?

I can say whatever I want to say about my former school since I got my degree there.
If my honesty hurts you so much, you need to grow up.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/qhfxm

+Quote Post
impala454
post Mar 20 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Jessica @ Mar 20 2008, 12:37 PM) *
Unless you are seeking what Blue said, college in general is the biggest waste of fucking money ever. You pay $30,000+ to put that you have a degree on your resume.

You've gotta be kidding me. Are you telling me you think someone without a degree can go up against someone with one and get hired? We've got salesmen here with "bullshit" degrees like general business or economics or whatever, who pull in six figures easily. Granted not all business majors get jobs like that, but I know guys with business degrees who are making mid 40s two years out of school. Not to mention school loan interest rates are laughably low.

I'm not saying you can't make money without a degree, but it helps a ton, and saying that college in general is a waste of money is just downright stupid. Sure, it's a waste of money if you exit college and don't go get a job.

+Quote Post
Epic
post Mar 20 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #25

I think a degree is necessary for most jobs and standards of success these days. I just don't feel it matters what you major in or where you get it as long as you can think, learn quickly, and be willing to relocate haha.

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 20 2008, 12:59 PM) *
apparently, you forgot to put '.' at the end of your sentence.
I'm not the one on the intelligence trip to prove that I'm smarter because I go to a school other than Tech

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Epic @ Mar 20 2008, 01:00 PM) *
yeah, schaller is a dick, but he's easy to nail to the floor. And don't take this too personally, but you get out of it what you put in. Since you rushed through to finish early, i doubt you got out of the program what I, and others did, so I saw the nuances on how we were accomplished.
I think you always saw me from the outside and never got to know what my experience was like. I had several offers to do grad there because of my writing. I enjoyed the classes. I learned a lot. I got out of it what I wanted. I put in a lot to my writing, and I got out of it what I wanted... improve my writing and think on a different level. I always would get the idea that you would act like you knew me. You never did. I dont mean that in a bad way, but I only cut the program short by 2 semesters. I didnt rush my philosophy classes. I knew shortcuts in the system for the core classes. You have to remember... I started at Tech when I was 17 so even though I was young, I was still at tech a good while. I mean, I'm only at texas state for 2 semesters. I havent had anyone here telling me that Im not getting anything out of the program.. I took all the classes I needed to. Thats the way I see it.

+Quote Post
impala454
post Mar 20 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 20 2008, 01:01 PM) *
I can say whatever I want to say about my former school since I got my degree there.

Sure you can say whatever you want and be a dickwad. I didn't say you couldn't. I told you don't get all butt hurt when people take offense and call you out on it when posting it to a basically all Texas Tech message board. We were discussing one professor in one department. You not liking Texas Tech doesn't have shit to do with us discussing Dr. Desrosiers from the CS department.

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 20 2008, 01:01 PM) *
If my honesty hurts you so much, you need to grow up.

You come onto a message board full of Texas Tech fans, grads, etc, and talk shit about the school and education, and I'm the one that needs to grow up? I'm not hurt at all but what you said, I'm just calling you out on it because it's wrong. It's not our fault you weren't compelled to pay attention in class or needed someone to hold your hand for you to learn anything. I hope at whatever dream school you're at now (which one is that by the way?) you found some professors who will nurture you and really take you step by step through the material so you can learn something.

If you feel the need to flush your Texas Tech education down the toilet, that's fine by me, it just shows you don't know a good value when you see one. My Texas Tech education has done very well for me. I'm four years out of school and just passed the 70k mark. Pretty damned good IMHO coming from a school without a "real" education.

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (impala454 @ Mar 20 2008, 01:03 PM) *
You've gotta be kidding me. Are you telling me you think someone without a degree can go up against someone with one and get hired? We've got salesmen here with "bullshit" degrees like general business or economics or whatever, who pull in six figures easily. Granted not all business majors get jobs like that, but I know guys with business degrees who are making mid 40s two years out of school. Not to mention school loan interest rates are laughably low.

I'm not saying you can't make money without a degree, but it helps a ton, and saying that college in general is a waste of money is just downright stupid. Sure, it's a waste of money if you exit college and don't go get a job.
again, you're not understanding what Im saying. I never said that degree vs no degree. I said a degree is a waste of money except to write it on a resume. I dont think that anyone in a public state university is challenged to their full potential when 1) the state makes you learn shit you should have learned in high school and 2) there is a severe lacking i real world trainging. Major classes are too theoretical and not enough hands on. Thats just MY OPINION. Im not asking you to agree. Neither does it mean that I skated the program (like Blue has been assuming) so I didnt get the "full affect of college"...whatever that means

+Quote Post
Epic
post Mar 20 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #30

jessica, i guess i "misheard" your comments and thought you were saying your experience in the philosophy department was a negative one, if that helps understand the perspective of my post.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2018 - 09:58 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com