Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this reasonable?
pebkac
post Feb 27 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #1

From Atlantis to Interzone

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 65

So as I posted before, I'm taking Desrosiers for CS 1412. He's a dick.

Each week in lab we have a quiz. And the questions are usually either based on sheer memorization and usually pretty stupid. Last time in lab, the question was to write a program in PEN AND PAPER to use a SortedList (a generic class in C#) to do some stuff. No access to the book or MSDN either. He didn't cover it in lecture, it isn't in the assigned reading, but it was in a set of code samples he gave us (among 10 other samples). When the TA passed the quiz around, I saw a look of puzzlement amongst my fellow students. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had no clue what to do here. In fact, literally half the lab cheated and looked things up on MSDN while the TA wasn't looking. I didn't, but I don't really blame the students that did.

Each week, the quiz is something more ridiculous than the one before it. And every time the quiz grades come back terrible, he blames us and tells us we need to read more.

Does anyone have any advice for me here? I could talk to Desrosiers, but I honestly don't know that it would do any good. Has anyone had much luck going over their professor's head and talking to the dept chair or anything of that nature?

--------------------
QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 13 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Feb 27 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (pebkac @ Feb 27 2008, 12:20 PM) *
So as I posted before, I'm taking Desrosiers for CS 1412. He's a dick.

Each week in lab we have a quiz. And the questions are usually either based on sheer memorization and usually pretty stupid. Last time in lab, the question was to write a program in PEN AND PAPER to use a SortedList (a generic class in C#) to do some stuff. No access to the book or MSDN either. He didn't cover it in lecture, it isn't in the assigned reading, but it was in a set of code samples he gave us (among 10 other samples). When the TA passed the quiz around, I saw a look of puzzlement amongst my fellow students. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had no clue what to do here. In fact, literally half the lab cheated and looked things up on MSDN while the TA wasn't looking. I didn't, but I don't really blame the students that did.

Each week, the quiz is something more ridiculous than the one before it. And every time the quiz grades come back terrible, he blames us and tells us we need to read more.

Does anyone have any advice for me here? I could talk to Desrosiers, but I honestly don't know that it would do any good. Has anyone had much luck going over their professor's head and talking to the dept chair or anything of that nature?

Take an example of the quiz and the assigned reading list to them maybe?

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
impala454
post Feb 27 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

D is one of those asshats who has about zero real world experience. Making CS students take quizzes and tests about specific code and such without access to references is downright stupid. If I didn't have internet access or MSDN, or at least some books, I'd be absolutely worthless to my company.

That said, I do feel that pseudocode tests and such are very good.

Honestly, the only professors there I had for CS/EE classes that had good real world experience that brought that to the classroom, was Dr Helm (mostly EE now I think, taught my CS ADP class), and Dr Cooke (duh).

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Feb 27 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (impala454 @ Feb 27 2008, 12:44 PM) *
D is one of those asshats who has about zero real world experience. Making CS students take quizzes and tests about specific code and such without access to references is downright stupid. If I didn't have internet access or MSDN, or at least some books, I'd be absolutely worthless to my company.

Exactly. I hated this.

In the "real world" we use whatever resources we can find. The ability to gather and sift through information is a great skill.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
Seeker
post Feb 27 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

I'm glad I got out of there before Desrosiers started teaching in the department

i've heard the horror stories

+Quote Post
impala454
post Feb 27 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #6

He started teaching in the department long before you got out of there.

+Quote Post
Seeker
post Feb 27 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

all i know is i didn't have to take him for 1412/1413 which back then it was 1462/1463

i almost ended up taking him for scientific computing as a senior until i came to my senses, and i thought he was new to the department then cause i had never heard of him

+Quote Post
chook
post Feb 28 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #8

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

Dr D is a former ChemE and a jerk. He applies how you deal with ChemE to CS.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Mar 6 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #9

DEATH TO ....something?

Member No.: 55

He is a lool.

--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!

+Quote Post
koreanp1e
post Mar 18 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #10

KP

Member No.: 45

easy. transfer out of tech and get some real education.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/qhfxm

+Quote Post
impala454
post Mar 18 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #11

Yeah because there aren't asshole professors at other universities. What a stupid fuckin thing to say.

+Quote Post
Oasis
post Mar 19 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,243

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 18 2008, 10:47 PM) *
easy. transfer out of tech and get some real education.

Judging from your constant assault on the English language, I can tell whatever school you transferred to was stellar academically

--------------------

+Quote Post
koreanp1e
post Mar 19 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #13

KP

Member No.: 45

I'm sorry. I graduated from Tech and now pursuing grad study else where. Although tech has some good professors, from my personal experience, there are better educational experiences one can have by transferring out of tech and going to other places. I am glad I got out. Simply because I am learning something more exciting than regurgitating materials without clear understanding of first principles, which lots of department at tech do in their academic curricula.

if you aren't happy with what I said, deal with it.
don't weagle off 'ye who don't spak engrish need to shut your hole' card at me.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/qhfxm

+Quote Post
impala454
post Mar 20 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 19 2008, 07:18 PM) *
I'm sorry. I graduated from Tech and now pursuing grad study else where. Although tech has some good professors, from my personal experience, there are better educational experiences one can have by transferring out of tech and going to other places. I am glad I got out. Simply because I am learning something more exciting than regurgitating materials without clear understanding of first principles, which lots of department at tech do in their academic curricula.

How about you don't get your panties in a wad when you get razzed after dissing Texas Tech on a fucking Texas Tech message board full of Texas Tech students & graduates. mmmk?

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Mar 20 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #15

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (koreanp1e @ Mar 19 2008, 07:18 PM) *

elsewhere is 1 word

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2018 - 05:48 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com