oooo I want a cookie!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Oct 15 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

We appreciate your feedback, though respectfully disagree. Your post was construed as a personal attack and Pepkac used his discretion in deleting it. I second his decision.

We have been trying to mod more heavily lately, due to people's requests in this vein, using the existing rules and specific noted concerns as guidelines. Things will understandably be a little rough in these first few weeks as mods get a better feel for what modding is wanted/appreciate and what is considered crossing the line.

Often, we choose to split topics if the original topic has gotten derailed, moving the off-topic subject material into its own thread. If, however, the derailment is simply a long series of personal attacks, as is wont to happen on this board, those will likely get deleted. Less frequently, we delete individual posts that are completely irrelevant (spammy in a serious thread) or inflammatory.

We don't, however, have perfect judgement. If you are upset or confused over a post/thread deletion, please feel free to contact any of the global mods to get more information. If it is determined that the deletion was made as a result of error or poor judgement, it can be restored.

--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/

+Quote Post
moebary
post Oct 15 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #18

Eric The Sexy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 30

though mods should not respond to a complaint like this
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2007, 09:55 PM) *
Cry me a river.

sweet post count

This post has been edited by moebary: Oct 15 2007, 09:24 AM

+Quote Post
cupcake
post Oct 15 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 327

this modding is getting ridiculous...

nothing kills a lively forum like overmoderating.

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Oct 15 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (cupcake @ Oct 15 2007, 10:26 AM) *
this modding is getting ridiculous...

nothing kills a lively forum like overmoderating.

I agree that overmoderating is undesirable, but general statements like this don't help us any. Please provide specific instances where you think we moderated unnecessarily.

--------------------
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Oct 15 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #21

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

Either have specific rules that are to be followed or dont mod at all, except for the NSFW pics.

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Oct 15 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #22

From Atlantis to Interzone

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 65

QUOTE (moebary @ Oct 15 2007, 10:23 AM) *
though mods should not respond to a complaint like this
sweet post count

I see your point. It was hypocritical of me to edit out impala's post for not being civil then make a remark like that. The line in question has been edited out.

--------------------
QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 13 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Oct 15 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Jessica @ Oct 15 2007, 11:47 AM) *
Either have specific rules that are to be followed or dont mod at all, except for the NSFW pics.

NPR does have rules and has for some time...

http://www.techsans.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78

Not to mention that there's also a general set of rules for the boards...

http://www.techsans.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=105

--------------------

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Oct 15 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #24

Unfortunately, I think Impala is right. He didnt say a non-political insult. Thats political discussion for ya. I dont know how many political shows you watch, but they arent all rainbows and sunshine.

Also, general rules state this: 7. Trolling and flame wars are looked down upon, so keep such things in check.
He wasnt trolling or flaming. Im sorry that I dont really go by rules that were set up in NPR by a mod, not an admin, and were not voted on by the posting population.

+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Oct 15 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #25

Jessica, those rules were set up a long time ago. At the time, we welcomed comments/criticism regarding them and changed/added/deleted rules accordingly. You even set up your own rules for LRAR, though they're admittedly lax. If you have a problem with a specific rule, let us know by starting a thread in this forum. That's what feedback is for, after all.

We did try a pretty hands-off modding approach (advocated strongly by you, as I recall), but people have complained about that (including Impala, I'd like to note). We're working to adjust our enforcement of the rules and, if necessary, change the rules that are in place. It's a work in progress and we need all the feedback we can get.

Regarding deletion of Impala's post in this particular instance, it was a personal attack. It was not a well-reasoned political comment or insight, just a whiny irrelevant post. Several people have complained about the preponderance of personal attacks, so we're trying to respond accordingly.

This post has been edited by Spectatrix: Oct 15 2007, 12:01 PM

--------------------
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Oct 15 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #26

CHEE CHEE

Member No.: 39

i like these new rules

--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Oct 15 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 15 2007, 12:59 PM) *
Jessica, those rules were set up a long time ago. At the time, we welcomed comments/criticism regarding them and changed/added/deleted rules accordingly. You even set up your own rules for LRAR, though they're admittedly lax. If you have a problem with a specific rule, let us know by starting a thread in this forum. That's what feedback is for, after all.

We did try a pretty hands-off modding approach (advocated strongly by you, as I recall), but people have complained about that (including Impala, I'd like to note). We're working to adjust our enforcement of the rules and, if necessary, change the rules that are in place. It's a work in progress and we need all the feedback we can get.

Regarding deletion of Impala's post in this particular instance, it was a personal attack. It was not a well-reasoned political comment or insight, just a whiny irrelevant post. Several people have complained about the preponderance of personal attacks, so we're trying to respond accordingly.

Not to mention that I did ask for feedback in this thread and the general consensus seemed to be that no new rules were needed, only better enforcement of the existing rules. If you disagree with that approach, feel free to put your feedback there.

This post has been edited by pebkac: Oct 15 2007, 12:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Oct 15 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 35

If you'd like to know how things are handled on bigger boards where I have moderated, we have a set of rules, they are somewhat broad (comparable to rules here) and they are enforced across the board on a case by case basis.

In the moderator forums posts, threads, etc. are discussed and handled accordingly. If there is more than one moderator per section of the board then things get discussed before action is taken. If a post is blatantly against the rules, then it gets moved to a forum specifically for posts that are against the rules as a record.

--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Oct 15 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #29

I guess my problem is that yall complained incessantly about Dogmeat when he never made a personal attack until recently. Yall will never be happy with the rules because someone will always annoy the fuck out of someone else and we will still be in this same situtation.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Oct 15 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #30

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Jessica @ Oct 15 2007, 12:43 PM) *
Im sorry that I dont really go by rules that were set up in NPR by a mod, not an admin, and were not voted on by the posting population.

actually those rules were made up by everyone at the time. everyone made suggestions and we voted on them (cant remember if this was in the public forums or the mod-only forums, but either way they were voted on).
i just made the post, dont hate the messenger.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 02:26 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com