Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adapting the boards for a broader audience
Psykopath
post Sep 29 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Live like a warrior.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 4

This has been brought up a lot recently with the revived push for new members.

Too many random BS posts (be it crude, sexual, etc.) are flooding the boards in random places. Certain threads are understandable (like in LR&AR), but to post about "tit hats" in a "Letters of Recommendation" thread is getting annoying.

I understand that this is the internet, yadda yadda, and I don't necessarily mind random crude humor...but we will not attract new members by continuing such childish e-behavior.

BUT!!!... we mods have been chastised in the past for doing such things as controlling excessive language.

SO, what's it going to be? Free for all and no new members?
or
Mods keeping things as the rules say & have a more friendly messageboard to attract newer members?

This post has been edited by Psykopath: Sep 29 2007, 12:09 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Sep 29 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28

i agree 100% with will and cathryn.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Sep 29 2007, 01:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 28

give temp bans to people with extremely crude/offensive posts, and those who obviously don't want to be members here in the first place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TetraGrammaton C...
post Sep 29 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 33

the likelihood of attracting random people to the boards without advertising is very low.
however, it would be more successful for members to get their friends to use the boards. that way, they would already know someone inside the madness, to whom they could address questions about specific oddities.

honestly, randomness and lack of topicality is rarely going to thwart member potential. the only case where this idea seems plausible (and moddable), would be when a new person makes a more serious thread that poses a specific sort of question/request. i would think that only a really sensitive person would leave because they feel they are not welcome.

more personally, i feel that the boards have been quite boring lately.
the average person sees a forum as a place for request for information and discussion. most people do not think of small boards like these as a fun, social outlets. there are many people at tech who have no idea what a forum is. the people who do know about forums are generally already members of much larger forums, to which they devote most of their time.

again, the only way to increase membership that seems viable is personally recruiting non-forum friends.

and stop fighting about petty stuff, especially in the moderators section. if you want to have a fight, have a big fuck-all one in the public section. then maybe we can recruit people on drama.

This post has been edited by TetraGrammaton Cleric: Sep 29 2007, 12:27 PM

+Quote Post
impala454
post Sep 29 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

I don't think NSFW pics should be allowed period. If it must be posted, it needs to be linked and have a description of what it is. Just because it's the LRAR forum doesn't mean every thread should be subject to NSFW pics.

And when we're all debating, the condescending crap like "well you obviously can't comprehend english bc blah blah blah" kinda crap needs to stop. The object isn't necessarily to change anyone's mind, just to explore the topic completely. We can have intelligent (albeit heated) debates without this crap. Just read over your post a few times before submitting and ask yourself:
1. Is this addressing the original topic? (if not, maybe start a new topic?)
2. Am I calling any specific poster a name, or slandering another poster? I don't see a problem with targeting groups of people in general, just not another specific member of the board.
3. Are there a few places I could remove unnecessary bad language?
4. Is this comment furthering the conversation at all?

I know I myself have refrained from lots of posts over the past several weeks after reading over them a couple of times and realizing they didn't really contribute anything to the topic.

Other random ideas:
- The "OMGZ that is so old" stuff gets... well... old. It may be old to you, but it obviously isn't to the person posting it, and may not be to lots of others. Nobody is impressed that you heard of it a long time ago. Along the same lines: "OMG Why is this thread still going?"
- If the mods are seeing things they feel are out of line, maybe PM the person and let them know why, rather than just removing/editing the post without comment. Same with banning people. People tend to get pretty pissed when their comments are edited/removed and they do not know why (maybe it's obvious to the mod but not to the poster).
- Keep the personal squabbles personal... The drama that nobody else knows about isn't interesting and will push new people away quickly, bc they don't know the people involved.

+Quote Post
Psykopath
post Sep 29 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Live like a warrior.

Member No.: 4

I'm liking the input.

And the posts that should be edited without first telling the poster are the NSFW images or possibly excessive assaults/abusive language.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GOB
post Sep 29 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #7

monogamous gays & stem cells

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (impala454 @ Sep 29 2007, 02:59 PM) *
2. Am I calling any specific poster a name, or slandering another poster? I don't see a problem with targeting groups of people in general, just not another specific member of the board.

you just want this one because it happens to you all the time

+Quote Post
impala454
post Sep 29 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (lamont's lament @ Sep 29 2007, 05:24 PM) *
you just want this one because it happens to you all the time

I'm saying it because I don't think it should happen... do you think it helps the discussions?

+Quote Post
GOB
post Sep 29 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #9

monogamous gays & stem cells

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (impala454 @ Sep 29 2007, 07:02 PM) *
I'm saying it because I don't think it should happen... do you think it helps the discussions?

depends on who is involved tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jim
post Sep 29 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #10

Let's Bother Snape!!!

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (lamont's lament @ Sep 29 2007, 06:18 PM) *
depends on who is involved tongue.gif

Touche beeshooting dog.

Moderation isn't bad. That's something we all can agree upon. However, moderation for humor or personal reasons because it strikes a nerve with you is bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Sep 29 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #11

From Atlantis to Interzone

Member No.: 65

The way I see it, it's not that big of a deal as long as truly random posts land in Off topic and the NSFW threads go in LRAR. I don't see a problem with NSFW posts as long as they're properly marked and linked (BRANDON tongue.gif ).

HOWEVER, I will abide by whatever decision the boards as a whole come to as long as they're not too outlandish.

--------------------
QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 13 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
chook
post Sep 30 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #12

Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Member No.: 68

We just need consistency on what the policy is. Here is what i think.
1 NSFW pictures not labeled or in the right area should be removed and that person's account suspended for 24 hours. (preferably by ip address)
2 I am not to keen on censoring personal attacks. If the person on the end of the attack is offended, then it should be removed. Usually this isn't a problem because the attacker in most cases looks like a jackass.

If we continue with a free for all, it scares off most new members. Its like drinking, its fun but slowly killing this board.

--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!

+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Sep 30 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #13

No day but today...

Member No.: 5

I definitely agree that there needs to be a change. It's something I've mentioned before but I'll say it again. Looking at disgusting pictures and reading about sex crap is beyond old. It's annoying. It contributes nothing to this atmosphere and drives people away (as evidenced by the number of people mentioning it in this thread alone.) You want me to bring my friends here to get new members? You've got to be kidding me. The only thing that would do is cost me my friends.

I used to be very active around here. Many of us can remember a time when there would FREQUENTLY be upwards of 20 people checking in at once. I agree with Billy - Techsans had it's day. Too bad it's come and gone.

I do come back from time to time to ask a question because I believe that deep down there are still some of us willing to help each other out by contributing useful information. We are, after all, college students (or former students as the case may be.) By definition we are supposed to be intellectual and mature. I'm still holding on to the notion that we can be.

And don't give me the bs about ignoring specific members. At the rate some of the people on here are going, none of their posts will get answers because everyone will have blocked them. Guess we'll see how all your crudeness works for you when you're conversing with yourself. *Insert crickets chirping*

--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Sep 30 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #14

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

To be honest, if Dogmeat is forced to leave because of this I will probably leave the boards.
If Cathryn is somehow made mod, I will definitely leave. (jonathan suggested it) Many people on here seem to have issue with her, and I think thats an awful idea.
I dont think we need to alienate members to make this site better. This same shit went on when it was popular. I think a lack of advertising is what has caused this place to go downhill. Chalking it up wont do anything, and we have a hard time appealing to freshman (the ones most likely to join) because we arent freshman.
I dont care if you care whether or not I leave. Im just saying I will leave if that shit happens. If it does happen so be it. Im gone.

*very incoherent post = me very tired

+Quote Post
impala454
post Oct 1 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #15

I think the immaturity is fine. the funny pics/joking around is fun. it's just the extremes we need to back down a little on. if someone new gets on here and sees some 1600x1200 bukake pic they're never gonna come back. or if some new girl comes on here and reads all the caveman ooga ooga titboobie talk they're also never gonna come back. just keep in mind that what's appropriate to you may not always be appropriate to others.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 03:31 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com