5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fire leach
impala454
post Jul 10 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

Didn't realize I was up in arms Chuck. Considering the subject of the thread, I figured it was a safe assumption. My bad.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Jul 11 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 721

Is Potts(?) gonna be worth anything this year?

--------------------

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jul 11 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #63

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 31

he's a big dude. definitely has the body. i hope he scrambles more than qbs we've had in the past.

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
impala454
post Jul 11 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 48

Supposedly Potts is the best QB Leach has recruited so far.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jul 11 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 28

my little sister is friends with him. he went to abilene high. apparently he's a really down to earth and nice guy. i know he was recruited by michigan and some others, and actually almost decided to stay in abilene and go to acu with pressure from his parents... church of christ obviously.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 11 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (impala454 @ Jul 11 2009, 04:32 PM) *
Supposedly Potts is the best QB Leach has recruited so far.

In terms of quarterbacks that have signed with Texas Tech in the Mike Leach era, Taylor Potts is the third-highest ranked behind Robert Johnson (JUCO) and Graham Harrell. Seth Doege, who signed with the Red Raiders in 2008, might have ended up ranked higher than Potts had he not missed his senior season with a knee injury. Denton Ryan QB Scotty Young is currently verbally committed to Texas Tech, and will likely end up bumping Potts down to fourth on this list if he signs with the Red Raiders as planned.

Interestingly enough, Texas Tech offered two quarterbacks in the class of 2006: Potts and Sam Bradford. The Red Raiders were actually the first to offer Bradford a scholarship, and he visited one of the team's practices (03/26/05) that spring. Potts committed four days later, which ended Texas Tech's pursuit of Bradford, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Potts hadn't pulled the trigger so early.

Sorry, end of tangent...

Potts has a prototypical NFL frame (6-foot-5, 220-pounds) and NFL-caliber arm strength, but neither of those attributes have any bearing on whether or not he will be a successful starter in Leach's offense. Potts battled consistency a bit this spring, but there were never any questions about him being the guy and this being his team. That second part may sound awfully cliche, but Harrell struggled with that aspect of the job during his first season as a starter (2006), which affected the team's play on the field. From an NFL Draft perspective, Potts' delivery will probably hurt him a bit, but that obviously isn't a factor right now.

As far as who is best? Hard to say at this point, with Potts having never started a game before. My opinion of Harrell's standing among all-time Red Raider gunslingers has already been detailed earlier in this thread but if things swing the right way, Potts could certainly end up being Tee Martin to Harrell's Peyton Manning.

Potts is probably a bit more athletic than Harrell - who, incidentally, rushed for over 1,000 yards in his junior year at Ennis - but I wouldn't expect to see him "scramble" any more than we've seen out of his predecessors at Texas Tech. That just isn't something that quarterbacks do in Leach's offense. Heck, I would be pretty shocked if he ran more than Cody Hodges did in 2005.

What I will be interested in seeing is how often Potts checks into the run this season. He, arguably, has one of the top running back tandems in the conference in Baron Batch and Harrison Jeffers, and Potts could make his life a lot easier if he leans on them a little bit early on in his career.

+Quote Post
cmac
post Jul 11 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 31

he'll have two years, right?

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 11 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (cmac @ Jul 12 2009, 12:47 AM) *
he'll have two years, right?

Yes. Taylor Potts currently has two remaining seasons of eligibility and - barring anything unexpected - will start in 2009 and 2010.

+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Jul 12 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 28

another good thing about Potts. Not only did he do very well at Abilene High when he was there (i saw a few games myself), but one of his top receivers was Lyle Leong, who is also a receiver at Tech.
they've already had a really good connection with each other in the past, and hopefully that'll continue at tech. sort of like the harrell/crabtree relationship, except Potts and Leong are actually pretty good friends.

--------------------

+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Jan 1 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 721

wish granted?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Fanatic
post Jan 2 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #71

Do they ignore parts of reality?

Member No.: 46

argh

--------------------
A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?

-Philip K. Dick

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 07:56 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com