IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boy I sure can't wait for Obama to be our next president...
impala454
post Aug 7 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

He keeps saying the dumbest stuff... he mentioned something about tire inflation the other day. gimme a friggin break.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Aug 9 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #62

From Atlantis to Interzone

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 65

QUOTE (impala454 @ Aug 7 2008, 03:13 PM) *
He keeps saying the dumbest stuff... he mentioned something about tire inflation the other day. gimme a friggin break.

People took Obama a little too literally there. He was basically saying that we could not worry so much about offshore drilling if people would inflate their tires better. And he was right. Proper tire inflation can affect your gas milage, and has been recommended by lots of government officials (including several Republicans). That's not to say that our entire energy policy should be based around inflating tires, and I don't think Obama was trying to say that. At least that's what I pulled from the clip I saw.

What I do not understand about Obama's position is that he states President Bush needs to open up the reserves while at the same time stating that Americans need to curb their consumption.

You don't curb consumption by providing more of the product.

This was definitely a political move that's been used by Democrats before (and I think the Republicans have done it once or twice as well, but I could be wrong). Such a move really wouldn't have any long term effect on gas prices. But it sure does make you look like you want to do something about gas prices.

Kind of like the "gas tax holiday" that Hillary Clinton was proposing. They tried it once before, but gas companies didn't lower their prices any and just pocketed the difference.

--------------------
QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 13 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
impala454
post Aug 9 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #63

QUOTE (pebkac @ Aug 9 2008, 02:32 AM) *
People took Obama a little too literally there. He was basically saying that we could not worry so much about offshore drilling if people would inflate their tires better. And he was right. Proper tire inflation can affect your gas milage, and has been recommended by lots of government officials (including several Republicans). That's not to say that our entire energy policy should be based around inflating tires, and I don't think Obama was trying to say that.

That's exactly what he said. His exact words were that we could "save more oil by properly inflating our tires than if we drilled." He's a fucking idiot.

+Quote Post
Mommy
post Aug 9 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #64

New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008

Member No.: 15

Some news article I was reading the other day was trying to prove him right. It was dumb.

+Quote Post
pebkac
post Aug 9 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #65

From Atlantis to Interzone

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 65

QUOTE (impala454 @ Aug 9 2008, 09:38 AM) *
That's exactly what he said. His exact words were that we could "save more oil by properly inflating our tires than if we drilled." He's a fucking idiot.

And he was right. Well, ok. Maybe he wasn't right to say that properly inflated tires would save more oil. But underinflated tires would save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive....html?series=19

Will maintaining proper tire pressures make a huge difference in the enormous amount of oil we import? No. But it can make a dent, albeit a very small one. According to the Department of Energy, underinflated tires alone cost the country more than 1.25 billion gal. of gasoline annually—roughly 1 percent of the total consumption of 142 billion gal. According to the Annual Energy Outlook 2007, published by the Energy Information Administration, offshore drilling would increase domestic production of crude oil by only about 1 percent.

--------------------
QUOTE (Spectatrix @ Oct 13 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
impala454
post Aug 9 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #66

horseshit. besides, the point isn't to maintain our current status. it's to make it better. so why isn't Obama recommending inflating tires better AND drilling? The other part of the point is to be producing oil here vs relying on other countries.

Either way, I can't believe you're buying into this stupid shit... Yeah and I bet if people cleaned their injectors and replaced their fuel filters and buying new cars and blah blah blah blah blah we'd gain eleventy billion barrels. rolleyes.gif

Not to mention, how in the flyin fuck did the DoE determine that 1.25 billion gallons of gas are wasted from underinflated tires? And how many dipshits are going to go overinflate their tires and then die in a car wreck because of Obama's suggestion?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2019 - 12:50 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com