IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )


 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to Europe
Billy
post Jan 6 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #1


N 0 t h i n g


Group: Members
Posts: 1,449
Joined: 23-February 06
Member No.: 54



Leaving for Leeds, England next saturday for 2 months, and then Celle, Germany for a month. Any recommendations for must-see tourist attractions in either of those countries or surrounding areas? I'll definitely head over to France and go to Paris for first year anniversary, and I also intend to ski in the alps. But besides walking around and eating at strange places, what are some popular travel destinations?


--------------------


QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:22 PM) *
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Psykopath
post Jan 6 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #2


Why so serious?


Group: Global Moderators
Posts: 5,286
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Fate, TX
Member No.: 4



QUOTE (Forum Warrior @ Jan 6 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Leaving for Leeds, England next saturday for 2 months, and then Celle, Germany for a month. Any recommendations for must-see tourist attractions in either of those countries or surrounding areas? I'll definitely head over to France and go to Paris for first year anniversary, and I also intend to ski in the alps. But besides walking around and eating at strange places, what are some popular travel destinations?

Röcken, Germany- Birthplace of Friedrich Nietzsche
Lübeck, Germany- heard from several German grad instructors while I was at TTU(who were from Germany) that there is a club there dedicated to Lubbock, TX and Buddy Holly type things. Don't know if it's true, but it'd be worth checking out. (Say you're from Lubbock and get free drinks!)


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jan 6 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #3





Group: Admin
Posts: 6,906
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Austin
Member No.: 9



Damn, man, what are you doing now that you can afford to go to Europe for 3 months? Or are you there for work?


--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Billy
post Jan 6 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #4


N 0 t h i n g


Group: Members
Posts: 1,449
Joined: 23-February 06
Member No.: 54



Job is sending me there for training. Everything is paid for lancifer.gif


--------------------


QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:22 PM) *
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Jan 6 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #5


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



NICE!! - have fun!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jan 6 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #6





Group: Admin
Posts: 6,906
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Austin
Member No.: 9



Very nice! Wish I had suggestions to make, but my first trip to Europe will be this summer (11-night northern Europe cruise). smile.gif


--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
schwab
post Jan 6 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #7





Group: Members
Posts: 1,761
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Lubbock/Dubai
Member No.: 57



i just got back from eastern europe tonight...had a great time even though it was only 10 days. poland is pretty good, we hit up krakow, and had a good time (went to auschwitz and other places in the town)

when we were in berlin, i saw the lubeck place on an ad, and made a joke about lubbock....didnt think they would know of our lubbock.


--------------------
bored...so i did this
http://beerlist.wetpaint.com/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
johnthedrunk
post Jan 7 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #8


goldmember


Group: Members
Posts: 192
Joined: 27-February 06
From: dallas
Member No.: 94



goto a leeds united match. they're crap this season, but if you are willing to venture a little west you can go see a real team play out in liverpool (even though its closer, i would skip manchester because they are a bunch of puffs)


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Jan 7 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #9





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



I guess it depends on what you are into.

It sounds like you will be there for Oktoberfest so I'd book a way to Munich and a hotel now if you plan to go (it may be too late to actually stay there).

Skiing the Alps is always an adventure.

Make your way to Austria and visit Salzburg and Vienna. In Salzburg you can go into the salt mines that are under the city and explore the above ground market (it's huge). Mozart was born in Salzburg, so that's interesting if you like music.

Southern and western Germany are great places to visit as well and if you get a car there are tons of places to stop and eat amazing food and see really cool things.

Denmark and the Czech Republic are complete opposites (IMO). Denmark is very free loving and you will see beautiful people everywhere you go. The Czech Republic is old... really old. It is amazing to see the ages of buildings there as you make your way across the country.

If you have a chance, get to Moscow and/or Lichtenstein.

There is also the Normandy beaches in France. It pretty much heavies the heart.

Things I avoid when in Europe: Paris. If you want France, go to southern France. The Netherlands. I am not a fan of the Dutch so I avoid the Netherlands whenever I can.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Jan 7 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #10


DEATH TO ....something?


Group: Members
Posts: 5,618
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Parker, CO
Member No.: 55



QUOTE (Forum Warrior @ Jan 6 2008, 06:08 PM) *
Leaving for Leeds, England next saturday for 2 months, and then Celle, Germany for a month. Any recommendations for must-see tourist attractions in either of those countries or surrounding areas? I'll definitely head over to France and go to Paris for first year anniversary, and I also intend to ski in the alps. But besides walking around and eating at strange places, what are some popular travel destinations?


you quit your job and are going backpacking in europe for 3 months?

edit:

oh wow you got hooked up bigtime ...

I'd go to the Auchuwitz camp if I was over there honestly.....I'd go to Normandy Beach .... I'd probably go see as many WWII sites as I could.


--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
blaarg
post Jan 7 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #11





Group: Members
Posts: 926
Joined: 2-May 07
Member No.: 1,015



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Jan 7 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Denmark and the Czech Republic are complete opposites (IMO). Denmark is very free loving and you will see beautiful people everywhere you go. The Czech Republic is old... really old. It is amazing to see the ages of buildings there as you make your way across the country.



I am in Copenhagen studying right now. It is fucking cold and super expensive...
But the architecture is pretty sweet and most areas have some really good modern architecture/sculpture/art...


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Dogmeat
post Jan 7 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #12


DEATH TO ....something?


Group: Members
Posts: 5,618
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Parker, CO
Member No.: 55



I would hit Monaco up and go to the nude beaches smile.gif


--------------------
I r Ur Gawd!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
schwab
post Jan 7 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #13





Group: Members
Posts: 1,761
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Lubbock/Dubai
Member No.: 57



QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jan 7 2008, 10:02 AM) *
I'd go to the Auchuwitz camp if I was over there honestly.....


went there a week ago, fairly depressing


--------------------
bored...so i did this
http://beerlist.wetpaint.com/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2026 - 03:18 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com