IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )


5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Austin!, Your recommendations
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #16





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



Very few typical vegas goers have the bankroll to play poker cash games at a casino bud. Everything else you do in a casino is against the house. The $60-100 poker tournaments are fun, but take a long time. Blackjack & Craps are your two best odds games. Slots are the worst odds.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 3 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #17


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



QUOTE (impala454 @ Jan 3 2008, 02:43 PM) *
Very few typical vegas goers have the bankroll to play poker cash games at a casino bud. Everything else you do in a casino is against the house. The $60-100 poker tournaments are fun, but take a long time. Blackjack & Craps are your two best odds games. Slots are the worst odds.

Go to a cheaper casino and play 1/2 no limit game or 3/6 limit.

Not every casino is Bellagio or Caesar.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #18





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



QUOTE (Jim @ Jan 3 2008, 02:47 PM) *
Go to a cheaper casino and play 1/2 no limit game or 3/6 limit.

Not every casino is Bellagio or Caesar.

You either haven't played those much, or we have different ideas about what a good bankroll is. For me, I don't bother going gambling at all unless I can take $300-400, and will typically not take more than $500 into a casino. To play $1/2 or $3/6, you need to sit down at the table with at least $200-300. It's not like James Bond 007 poker playing in real life where you sit down at the high limit table with $20 and leave with $5 mil. It's also not your typical "hey honey lets take a quick vacation to vegas!" games like KC is looking for.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 3 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #19


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



QUOTE (impala454 @ Jan 3 2008, 02:54 PM) *
You either haven't played those much, or we have different ideas about what a good bankroll is. For me, I don't bother going gambling at all unless I can take $300-400, and will typically not take more than $500 into a casino. To play $1/2 or $3/6, you need to sit down at the table with at least $200-300. It's not like James Bond 007 poker playing in real life where you sit down at the high limit table with $20 and leave with $5 mil. It's also not your typical "hey honey lets take a quick vacation to vegas!" games like KC is looking for.

Chuck, I live thirty minutes from a casino in three different directions and have been to all of them multiple times. I have gone in with fifty bucks at 1/2 no limit table, sat down for 1 hour and came out with 500 dollars. I know plenty about poker tables and how to play them.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #20





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



And I'm sure you've sat down with $50 and got up 5 minutes later. Although I'm sure you'd never admit it.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 3 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #21


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



QUOTE (impala454 @ Jan 3 2008, 03:21 PM) *
And I'm sure you've sat down with $50 and got up 5 minutes later. Although I'm sure you'd never admit it.

Nope. If I go in with fifty dollars, I play super tight. I only play when I have hooks, ladies, cowboys or bullets in my hand. Big slick, sometimes. If I'm big blind I'll play if no one raises, if I'm small blind, I'll play with a suited connector above a seven. I have my favorite hands, of course, K-9 (clubs or spades) and 10-10 and I'll occasionally play them if I'm feeling particularly lucky. However, I usually turn fifty dollars into at least two hours of play and hardly come out without my money.

Granted, that's a cash game. Tournament games, I'm super strict and only play big blind (with no raises) or dealer or behind dealer. I'll check and hardly ever raise unless I have top hand that cannot be beat. It is rare for me to not sit down at a 50 person tournament and not come out in the top five.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #22





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



Well I suppose if I lived closer to one (which might be really bad) I'd play more poker cash games, it's just that when I drive 2.5 hrs to get over to the casino I have no desire to lose my $300 in 20 minutes wink.gif

Either way I doubt it's something KC is looking for.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 3 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #23


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



QUOTE (impala454 @ Jan 3 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Well I suppose if I lived closer to one (which might be really bad) I'd play more poker cash games, it's just that when I drive 2.5 hrs to get over to the casino I have no desire to lose my $300 in 20 minutes wink.gif

Either way I doubt it's something KC is looking for.

Calling all mods to move part of this thread into another thread for pokering ohmy.gif

Also, I'm sure there are Rounders games around the Houston area where you can play for free and just put money in the pizza pot wink.gif


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #24





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



We gather a few so I can lose some money at poker every now and then smile.gif I swear I've had the worst luck the last few times though. I'd toss out a big bet with top pair of aces against someone else who'd matched a 3, then lose on the river because the guy caught a straight or something.

My good friend and I went to a tourney at Coushatta last year though and out of 115 people we both made it to the final table. He got 2nd and I got 5th. Was a blast. He won like $950 and I took $250.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Jan 3 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #25





Group: Admin
Posts: 6,906
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Austin
Member No.: 9



I have no idea what you guys are talking about any more. I fail at life.


--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #26





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 3 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #27


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



QUOTE (impala454 @ Jan 3 2008, 04:12 PM) *
We gather a few so I can lose some money at poker every now and then smile.gif I swear I've had the worst luck the last few times though. I'd toss out a big bet with top pair of aces against someone else who'd matched a 3, then lose on the river because the guy caught a straight or something.

My good friend and I went to a tourney at Coushatta last year though and out of 115 people we both made it to the final table. He got 2nd and I got 5th. Was a blast. He won like $950 and I took $250.

If someone's betting strong and there are three of the same suit out there or a possible straight of any kind, your top pair is nothing.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Jan 3 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #28





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



Jim I don't need poker lessons. I was just mentioning how much luck can be involved. You can play "correctly" all day long and still lose your ass.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
TetraGrammaton C...
post Jan 3 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #29





Group: Moderators
Posts: 572
Joined: 23-February 06
Member No.: 33



and if you get drunk just play slots
they do not get mad if you hug them.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Jan 3 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #30


No day but today...


Group: Members
Posts: 773
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 5



Ok more info has been requested from me.

Leaving LBK on a Monday morning and coming back that Friday afternoon.
FOR SURE, I want to see the Cirque du Soleil show "O"
After that, I'd like to see Blue Man Group or Penn & Teller.

I'd like to find some stuff to do that's not $150 per ticket, maybe sightseeing of some kind (no idea what.)

Also would like cheap, but clean, hotel recs. Don't plan on doing much in the room except sleep, so not looking for any type of luxury suite or anything. Something with a fridge would be nice so we can save money by making our own breakfasts/lunches.

We might gamble, but only to say that we've gambled in Vegas. The main purpose for this trip is to go on vacation with our best friends, which we've been talking about doing for probably three years now. Not looking to win big, or contract any unusual diseases wink.gif


--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2026 - 01:44 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com