IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )


3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Languages, do you speak any?
jonathan83
post Dec 13 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #1





Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,558
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Seoul, South Korea
Member No.: 28



This got me curious from the other thread.. so who all speaks another language?
and I don't mean if you know a few words, I mean actually being able to hold a conversation, get around, etc. without using any English.

Spanish - fairly fluent, can discuss advanced topics, etc.
Portuguese - can get around and shoot the breeze(and i'd venture to say i could do about the same in Italian)
Korean - can get around and shoot the breeze (but limited)


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 13 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #2


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Spanish
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jim
post Dec 13 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #3


Let's Bother Snape!!!


Group: Members
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Albuquerque, NM
Member No.: 10



ASL, bitches. I can sign my way into deaf people's hearts.

Also, some Spanish.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Psykopath
post Dec 13 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #4


Why so serious?


Group: Global Moderators
Posts: 5,286
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Fate, TX
Member No.: 4



German


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Spectatrix
post Dec 13 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #5





Group: Admin
Posts: 6,906
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Austin
Member No.: 9



If finger-spelling 80% of my words counts, then ASL. laugh.gif


--------------------
QUOTE (pebkac @ Oct 14 2006, 03:15 PM) *
You and your logic.

QUOTE (Foamy)

http://xkcd.com/386/
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Dec 13 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #6


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



Spanish - once im warmed up i can carry a casual conversation, ask personal and practical questions, and discuss some "advanced topics" things like using the different present and past tenses different direct objects/pronouns. my grammar has got a lot better


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
cupcake
post Dec 13 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #7





Group: Members
Posts: 1,795
Joined: 29-September 06
Member No.: 327



just the language of love...

aww yeah...

Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 13 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #8


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



I want to learn French. I think I'm going to try.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Dec 13 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #9





Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,558
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Seoul, South Korea
Member No.: 28



QUOTE (cupcake @ Dec 13 2007, 03:52 PM) *
just the language of love...

aww yeah...


that dude looks like a combination of Brokeback Mountain and Rick Astley


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
jonathan83
post Dec 13 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #10





Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,558
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Seoul, South Korea
Member No.: 28



QUOTE (Testm0nkey @ Dec 13 2007, 03:18 PM) *
"advanced topics" things like using the different present and past tenses different direct objects/pronouns.

when i said advanced topics i meant like discussing politics, etc.
i wouldn't say using different tenses would be advanced, just basic.

unless i misunderstood you.

QUOTE (Jessica @ Dec 13 2007, 03:58 PM) *
I want to learn French. I think I'm going to try.

oh don't be so cliche!


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
RitalinJunkie
post Dec 13 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #11


Corrupting the youth of America


Group: Members
Posts: 528
Joined: 12-May 06
From: Alice, TX
Member No.: 176



Used to be fairly fluent in spanish....but not since my freshman year of College...didnt ever use it.
Middle English....
thats really about it


--------------------
Brandon....you're the reason I'm pro-choice.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Dec 13 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #12





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



I think it's cool when stark white people know Spanish. I recall at Walmart one time, I was looking at some item and overheard some mexican kids going back and forth in Spanish, kinda looking like they were making fun of this white dude that worked there. He turned to them and said something in Spanish and the kids got this wide eyed look and ran away.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
johnthedrunk
post Dec 13 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #13


goldmember


Group: Members
Posts: 192
Joined: 27-February 06
From: dallas
Member No.: 94



German


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Dec 13 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #14


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



QUOTE (impala454 @ Dec 13 2007, 05:03 PM) *
I think it's cool when stark white people know Spanish. I recall at Walmart one time, I was looking at some item and overheard some mexican kids going back and forth in Spanish, kinda looking like they were making fun of this white dude that worked there. He turned to them and said something in Spanish and the kids got this wide eyed look and ran away.
Thats what used to happen when I was 16 and working in El Paso. My fellow employess would talk shit about me in Spanish, mostly about how white I am. Then one day, I turned to them and spoke perfect Spanish. Yeah, it was funny
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Psykopath
post Dec 13 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #15


Why so serious?


Group: Global Moderators
Posts: 5,286
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Fate, TX
Member No.: 4



QUOTE (impala454 @ Dec 13 2007, 05:03 PM) *
I think it's cool when stark white people know Spanish. I recall at Walmart one time, I was looking at some item and overheard some mexican kids going back and forth in Spanish, kinda looking like they were making fun of this white dude that worked there. He turned to them and said something in Spanish and the kids got this wide eyed look and ran away.

haha, yes. Seen that happen a time or two in WalMart as well.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2026 - 08:25 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com