Mar 2 2008, 03:59 PM
Post
#1
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 2,329 Joined: 20-June 07 Member No.: 1,243 |
I know you're taxed on capital gains when selling stock that you buy. But what about stock that you're given?
If you buy XX stock for $1k and you sell it for $2k you pay taxes on gains, which is $1k. But if you're given $1k worth of stock and you sell it for $2k, are you taxed on capital gains ($1k) or what the total value of what you sell it for? ($2k) -------------------- ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
![]() |
Mar 2 2008, 05:45 PM
Post
#2
|
|
![]() Group: Moderators Posts: 885 Joined: 22-February 06 From: Lubbock, Texas Member No.: 12 |
I havent taken tax accounting (because i think the tax system is too f*ed up to try and understand) but if there was a gift tax on that transaction then the donor would pay it.
But ya hopefully someone who knows the tax system better can give you the right answer. |
|
|
|
Oasis Tax question Mar 2 2008, 03:59 PM
Spectatrix I think you'd have a gift tax on 1k and capita... Mar 2 2008, 04:25 PM
fingercuffs QUOTE (Oasis @ Mar 2 2008, 04:59 PM) I kn... Mar 9 2008, 06:52 PM
Dogmeat I would assume you have to report the stock you ar... Mar 9 2008, 06:53 PM
impala454 If it's in his name, the broker company will s... Mar 9 2008, 10:47 PM
dauss Look at the gift tax. You can give up to $12... Mar 10 2008, 01:02 AM![]() ![]() |
| Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 30th September 2026 - 08:09 PM |