IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )


> Legal obligation?
Oasis
post Feb 18 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 2,329
Joined: 20-June 07
Member No.: 1,243



Probably one of the worst "holy shit, it's a small world" scenarios just happeneed.

In December one of our businesses burned down. There hasn't been an official ruling on whether or not it was accidental or arson, although pretty much everyone suspects arson (We had a loser douchebag working for us who we had to fire because he could never show up for work on time; Apparently, he's hated us ever since. Plus, he's nuts).

A few nights ago I was driving by with my girlfriend and she asked was that our building. Yeah, I said. She told me she was talking to her dad about it and her dad knows who did it. I goddamn near swerved off the road. Apparently, the main suspect lives across the street from her dad and they're drinking buddies. I told her to get whatever info she could from her dad and after talking to him, she said he told me if I met with him he'd tell me who did it. I went over to his house and the first second I mentioned the suspects name he completely clammed up. Told me he had no idea who did it and he never told Erica (my gf) anything and she must have misheard him.

Bullshit.

It's blatantly obvious he got spooked or something and now won't talk. He knows exactly who did it and who did it was the guy we suspected from the beginning.

Is he under any legal obligation to tell the police if he knows who committed a crime? I would think so. I just don't know what to do, because if I went to the police myself and told them my girlfriend's dad knows who did it it could start all kinds of shit with their family. Plus I'm sure he would just deny any knowledge.


--------------------

Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
 
Start new topic
Replies
Psykopath
post Feb 18 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #2


Why so serious?


Group: Global Moderators
Posts: 5,286
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Fate, TX
Member No.: 4



QUOTE (Oasis @ Feb 18 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Probably one of the worst "holy shit, it's a small world" scenarios just happeneed.

In December one of our businesses burned down. There hasn't been an official ruling on whether or not it was accidental or arson, although pretty much everyone suspects arson (We had a loser douchebag working for us who we had to fire because he could never show up for work on time; Apparently, he's hated us ever since. Plus, he's nuts).

A few nights ago I was driving by with my girlfriend and she asked was that our building. Yeah, I said. She told me she was talking to her dad about it and her dad knows who did it. I goddamn near swerved off the road. Apparently, the main suspect lives across the street from her dad and they're drinking buddies. I told her to get whatever info she could from her dad and after talking to him, she said he told me if I met with him he'd tell me who did it. I went over to his house and the first second I mentioned the suspects name he completely clammed up. Told me he had no idea who did it and he never told Erica (my gf) anything and she must have misheard him.

Bullshit.

It's blatantly obvious he got spooked or something and now won't talk. He knows exactly who did it and who did it was the guy we suspected from the beginning.

Is he under any legal obligation to tell the police if he knows who committed a crime? I would think so. I just don't know what to do, because if I went to the police myself and told them my girlfriend's dad knows who did it it could start all kinds of shit with their family. Plus I'm sure he would just deny any knowledge.


Do you care about catching the guy that burned down your business?
If you do, then you shouldn't give two shits what your girlfriend's family thinks. A crime was committed. Justice should be more important than pissing off some douchebag who is potentially protecting a criminal.


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pysex
post Feb 18 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #3


I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!


Group: Members
Posts: 3,080
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Cedar Park
Member No.: 49



QUOTE (Psykopath @ Feb 18 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Do you care about catching the guy that burned down your business?
If you do, then you shouldn't give two shits what your girlfriend's family thinks. A crime was committed. Justice should be more important than pissing off some douchebag who is potentially protecting a criminal.


zach's right...

you can still go to the police...at least with the testimony from your girlfriend...if she changes her story then its obvious the dickhole ex employee has more pull than you think


--------------------
"Ah, y'know it's funny, these people they go to sleep, they think everything's fine, everything's good. They wake up the next day and they're on fire."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2026 - 01:50 PM
Skin made by: skeedio.com