![]() ![]() |
Mar 4 2008, 05:10 PM
Post
#1
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 10,620 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Houston, TX Member No.: 48 |
I'm sure we can do more hyptothetical polls, hence the name #1
|
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 05:19 PM
Post
#2
|
|
|
CHEE CHEE Group: Members Posts: 5,026 Joined: 23-February 06 From: trapped in the hoezone layer Member No.: 39 |
who can really answer this question?
-------------------- Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny Mighty males are strong and free Female monkey, not so lucky Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys Monkeys sticking other monkeys Monkeys wrong or monkeys right Mostly flexing monkey might |
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 05:27 PM
Post
#3
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 10,620 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Houston, TX Member No.: 48 |
|
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 05:34 PM
Post
#4
|
|
|
CHEE CHEE Group: Members Posts: 5,026 Joined: 23-February 06 From: trapped in the hoezone layer Member No.: 39 |
its just a stupid hypothetical
-------------------- Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny Mighty males are strong and free Female monkey, not so lucky Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys Monkeys sticking other monkeys Monkeys wrong or monkeys right Mostly flexing monkey might |
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 05:57 PM
Post
#5
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 1,761 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Lubbock/Dubai Member No.: 57 |
well since i know exactly how i would feel if i was in that situation, i answered hypothetically
-------------------- bored...so i did this
http://beerlist.wetpaint.com/ |
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 06:08 PM
Post
#6
|
|
![]() Why so serious? Group: Global Moderators Posts: 5,286 Joined: 22-February 06 From: Fate, TX Member No.: 4 |
-------------------- |
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 06:43 PM
Post
#7
|
|
![]() New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008 Group: Members Posts: 8,635 Joined: 22-February 06 From: Port Wentworth, GA Member No.: 15 |
No way to say for sure, but I think that discounting everything I about civil rights and stuff today, I would probably still be against it because I wouldn't think it was just for anyone to have to live like that... even if they weren't considered equal
|
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 09:28 PM
Post
#8
|
|
![]() Group: Moderators Posts: 2,499 Joined: 23-February 06 From: El Paso Texas Member No.: 32 |
i'm going to vote yes cause i'm not about to bullshit myself on this one
if it's socially acceptable most people probably would have done it kinda like having an illegal immigrant work as a maid or gardener. i know, it ain't slavery, but it's fucked up, people know it is, and still do it 12,000,000 can't be wrong -------------------- |
|
|
|
Mar 4 2008, 10:15 PM
Post
#9
|
|
![]() DEATH TO ....something? Group: Members Posts: 5,618 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Parker, CO Member No.: 55 |
I'm assuming I would approve of it because I'm a brainwashed right-wing military-indsutrial complex-supporting neocon
-------------------- I r Ur Gawd!
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 12:43 AM
Post
#10
|
|
![]() Oh baby bring me down Group: Agents Posts: 4,115 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Way out yonder Member No.: 68 |
In all honestly, I probably would because its the way I grew up.
-------------------- Southern Rock, beer and bears!
![]() |
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 12:51 AM
Post
#11
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 10,620 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Houston, TX Member No.: 48 |
It's very interesting IMHO to see how people answer the question. You can tell those who perhaps think highly of themselves, or attribute their knowledge and wisdom more to the brain cells in their head rather than their experiences in life.
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 03:50 AM
Post
#12
|
|
![]() Group: Moderators Posts: 2,558 Joined: 22-February 06 From: Seoul, South Korea Member No.: 28 |
i've thought about this a lot before actually.
i think i would do it because it was just the way of life back then, and completely normal. however, i think i'd be a cool master and be real nice to them. in other words, i wouldn't be a complete dick and treat them like pieces of garbage. -------------------- ![]() |
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 07:07 AM
Post
#13
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 1,761 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Lubbock/Dubai Member No.: 57 |
i've thought about this a lot before actually. i think i would do it because it was just the way of life back then, and completely normal. however, i think i'd be a cool master and be real nice to them. in other words, i wouldn't be a complete dick and treat them like pieces of garbage. i would be a complete dick, possible torture for fun -------------------- bored...so i did this
http://beerlist.wetpaint.com/ |
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 07:23 AM
Post
#14
|
|
|
I was raised on the dairy, BITCH! Group: Members Posts: 3,080 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Cedar Park Member No.: 49 |
if i was born in a slave owning family i probably would accept it because that's the environment i was raised in
so yes -------------------- "Ah, y'know it's funny, these people they go to sleep, they think everything's fine, everything's good. They wake up the next day and they're on fire."
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 10:48 AM
Post
#15
|
|
![]() New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008 Group: Members Posts: 8,635 Joined: 22-February 06 From: Port Wentworth, GA Member No.: 15 |
I have morals completely different from my family and the environment I grew up in.... and different than the environment I am in now. I just think that if I saw a black person laughing or crying or doing the same things that I do, I couldn't enslave a person like that.
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 10:49 AM
Post
#16
|
|
![]() DEATH TO ....something? Group: Members Posts: 5,618 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Parker, CO Member No.: 55 |
Personally I still think slavery should be legal, but only as a means to employ the poor and homeless ...
I think enslavement based soley on race is wrong ... enslavement based on the premise that EVERYONE who is a worthless loser should be enslaved is a good idea however -------------------- I r Ur Gawd!
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 11:29 AM
Post
#17
|
|
![]() Group: Moderators Posts: 1,591 Joined: 23-February 06 Member No.: 31 |
tough to know, but I think something in my mind would question why white people weren't given the same treatment.
good question. i like the hypothetical poll idea. -------------------- Don't sweat the petty, pet the sweaty.
|
|
|
|
Mar 5 2008, 12:35 PM
Post
#18
|
|
![]() Do they ignore parts of reality? Group: Moderators Posts: 2,935 Joined: 23-February 06 From: South Overton!!! Member No.: 46 |
Hmm I can't honestly say. But, I assume that if I was born into a slave owning family and owned slaves that I would probably think it was totally acceptable. But, if you are going to own slaves at least be a pimp about it like Thomas Jefferson
-------------------- A psychotic world we live in. The madmen are in power. How long have we known this? Faced this? And--how many of us do know it? Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up. I suppose only a few are aware of all this. Isolated persons here and there. But the broad masses... what do they think? All these hundreds of thousands in this city, here. Do they imagine that they live in a sane world? Or do they guess, glimpse, the truth...?
-Philip K. Dick |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 12:13 AM
Post
#19
|
|
![]() From Atlantis to Interzone Group: Global Moderators Posts: 2,512 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Somewhere in space and time Member No.: 65 |
I'd like to say no. And I think that would most likely be the answer. But there's no way to know for sure.
-------------------- Holy shit, pebkac, you're awesome! "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss) "An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 09:57 AM
Post
#20
|
|
![]() N 0 t h i n g Group: Members Posts: 1,449 Joined: 23-February 06 Member No.: 54 |
So Impala, do you believe that all people born into a slave owning family believed in slavery? Because it seems to be unbelievable to you that that's possible.
Typically, empathetic people would be against any kind of injustice done to anything or anyone else. It wouldn't matter if "everyone was doing it". Just as there are people who were born into strict christian families yet grow up to not support that kind of belief. -------------------- ![]() |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 03:21 PM
Post
#21
|
|
![]() GORILLA FLUFFER Group: Agents Posts: 7,711 Joined: 23-February 06 From: lubbock Member No.: 50 |
Just as there are people who were born into strict christian families yet grow up to not support that kind of belief. if your families way of life depended on owning slaves to maintain it's level of comfort, you'd learn to justify your reasoning for owning them.... humans are good at that. and yes there were plenty of people at the time againest owning slaves.... the ones who's daily life did not depend on them. wether because they were poor, or more industrial oriented. -------------------- |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 03:25 PM
Post
#22
|
|
![]() GORILLA FLUFFER Group: Agents Posts: 7,711 Joined: 23-February 06 From: lubbock Member No.: 50 |
Typically, empathetic people would be against any kind of injustice done to anything or anyone else. i would like to see proof of this. personal experience with emphathetic "driven" has always been they have a deep empathy for 1 or 2 specific issues, and they focus on them fanatically, and then they couldn't give a fuck about anything or anyone else. an empathetic person that cares about all injustice would be a "good" person in my book, and frankly, i don't know too many "good" people humanity is selfish, deceitful, conceited and self absorbed. why do you think capitalism works so well? -------------------- |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 03:30 PM
Post
#23
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 2,329 Joined: 20-June 07 Member No.: 1,243 |
I want duane to be my slave
My sex slave -------------------- ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 03:32 PM
Post
#24
|
|
![]() GORILLA FLUFFER Group: Agents Posts: 7,711 Joined: 23-February 06 From: lubbock Member No.: 50 |
-------------------- |
|
|
|
Mar 9 2008, 10:45 PM
Post
#25
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 10,620 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Houston, TX Member No.: 48 |
So Impala, do you believe that all people born into a slave owning family believed in slavery? Because it seems to be unbelievable to you that that's possible. Typically, empathetic people would be against any kind of injustice done to anything or anyone else. It wouldn't matter if "everyone was doing it". Just as there are people who were born into strict christian families yet grow up to not support that kind of belief. But why is an empathetic person empathetic? It's because of their life experiences and upbringing. Not the brain cells they were born with. And no I'm not saying it would be impossible for the person in question to be against slavery, just highly improbable. If it was commonplace to think against the grain, slavery as an institution would not have lasted for thousands of years. |
|
|
|
Mar 10 2008, 01:05 PM
Post
#26
|
|
![]() N 0 t h i n g Group: Members Posts: 1,449 Joined: 23-February 06 Member No.: 54 |
But why is an empathetic person empathetic? It's because of their life experiences and upbringing. Not the brain cells they were born with. And no I'm not saying it would be impossible for the person in question to be against slavery, just highly improbable. If it was commonplace to think against the grain, slavery as an institution would not have lasted for thousands of years. So you're telling me it was improbable that germans during nazi germany helped jews escape during a time period when it seemed everyone in germany wanted them dead? Because it was definitely "going against the grain" as you said and was punishable by death for doing something like that, yet there hundreds of books written about people who did anyway. There were plenty of people who helped slaves also. History has always had a group of people who resisted the norm. And it was usually the minority that did the right thing. But then again, the intelligent amongst the sheep have always been a minority. *Just a note: Why would you say this: "But why is an empathetic person empathetic? It's because of their life experiences and upbringing. Not the brain cells they were born with. " after I specifically name an example where belief was different than upbringing????????????question fucking mark jesus holy christ. And this is why I'm not going to seriously argue with you over the internet. I'd rather call you names. -------------------- ![]() |
|
|
|
Mar 10 2008, 02:52 PM
Post
#27
|
|
![]() Group: Members Posts: 10,620 Joined: 23-February 06 From: Houston, TX Member No.: 48 |
Let me go ahead and quote myself:
QUOTE (self) And no I'm not saying it would be impossible for the person in question to be against slavery, just highly improbable.
|
|
|
|
![]() ![]() |
| Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 30th September 2026 - 06:35 PM |