IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )


6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Houston
Mommy
post Apr 6 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #1


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



I just got back to Austin from my first trip to Houston ever. I drove there yesterday and came back today. I know that isnt much time to observe, but I think that Houston has some of the best drivers in Texas. I know that traffic is a bitch, but I like how Houston people drive. If they need over, they get over. They dont do this stupid bullshit of slowing down with their blinker on, backing up traffic behind them, and waiting until someone is finally nice enough to let them over. Everyone complains about Houston traffic....yeah its bad, but it would be a lot worse if people drove differently there. Just a random observation.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 6 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #2


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



I agree

my mom who lives in georgetown has made that observation as well biggrin.gif Apparently austin drives are FAR worse than houston drivers....
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 6 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #3


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Austin drivers are fucking idiots. Seriously. Everyone here drives like they are 80
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 6 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #4


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



its a pretty set rule to drive on average 10mph over the speed limit at all times. on highway thats about 20mph


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 6 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #5





Group: Members
Posts: 556
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 16



I agree with you, Houston drivers are - on average - pretty solid. I guess the reason people refer to the traffic being so bad is just because they're so many people on the roads and there always seems to be a ton of construction around wherever you need to go.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 6 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #6





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



i've made a few days of the 40-45 min commute, and i gotta say i've been fairly impressed. there's not any construction on the route i take, but it does choke up big time anywhere near I-45.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
woody
post Apr 6 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #7





Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,499
Joined: 23-February 06
From: El Paso Texas
Member No.: 32



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 6 2007, 06:03 PM) *
Austin drivers are fucking idiots. Seriously. Everyone here drives like they are 80



better than the beaner drivers in the EP


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
THECHICKEN
post Apr 7 2007, 03:21 AM
Post #8





Group: Members
Posts: 1,302
Joined: 20-February 07
Member No.: 721



Sounds like dallas traffic honestly. People aggressively get to the spot they need to get to. I love it personally, but people complain.


Oh and the newspaper coming before i get home is pretty funny.... especially considering the story of why i was home so late.....


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
slick
post Apr 7 2007, 03:21 AM
Post #9





Group: Members
Posts: 72
Joined: 22-June 06
Member No.: 216



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 6 2007, 06:03 PM) *
Austin drivers are fucking idiots. Seriously. Everyone here drives like they are 80



everybody over here IS 80 dry.gif










winky.gif

and highways here are either about 55 to 65. soooo everybody whose not handicapped goes about 85 and up
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 7 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #10


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



I45 blows, but I10 going towards Katy is even worse...blah!

dont even get me started on the loop from like I10-59
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Divergent Realit...
post Apr 7 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #11



Group Icon

Group: Agents
Posts: 4,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: lu-bok
Member No.: 41



or 610. dont forget the 610 shitstorm.


--------------------
32-bit whore


Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 7 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #12





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



610 is fine on the east and north sides (which is where i drive it mostly).
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 7 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #13


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



well unfortunatly...or not..i like it here....i live close to the westloop off memorial...we avoid 610 and westheimer like the plague...its awful!!!

we take fricken san felipe to the HEB on westheimer because it sucks so much around the galleria...i hate san felipe since its all gross under construction...
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 7 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #14


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



I was driving on I10 coming in going East and leaving going West. It wasnt bad except for the construction. I sat in traffic for about 30-45 minutes. Not unreasonable. Then, I stayed in the Gallaria area. I had to be at a business dinner at 6:30. I left my hotel which was located 2.9 miles away from the restaurant at 6:00 because I was bored and figured I would find the restaurant and then explore. I pulled into the parking lot at 6:35.... it took me 35 minutes to go less than 3 miles. The upside is that I wasnt cussing my brains out at people because the drivers weren't the problem...it was just the amount of traffic. I drove on 610 a lot. Good road.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 8 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #15


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



ah the wonders of the galleria area!

you were like... <5 miles from my apartment biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 8 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #16


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



and it still probably would have taken me an hour to get there =P
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Apr 9 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #17


GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Posts: 7,711
Joined: 23-February 06
From: lubbock
Member No.: 50



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDlzyPOAv2o...ted&search=


--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.


Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 19 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #18





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



I can't believe I missed this thread...

I have to agree that Houston drivers are some of the best, no matter how insane they are.

In Dallas, everyone drives the same speed in all lanes. In Austin everyone drives like the upper and lower split doesn't apply to them.

My only complaint in Houston is the state of a lot of the roads that are under the city's control. Also, we are pretty bad about changing lanes more than necessary. Traffic is bad in parts but I've been glad to see things get better at 59 and the Spur and the ditch (back where it used to be bumper to bumper at 2am on a Saturday). Once they get the Beltway all done on the west side and start on the southern portion, things will be much smoother.

The 610 changes have been nice, but there are too many people using that road, especially near 59.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 19 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #19


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



yeah ive noticed people do change lanes for no reason here in Houston...ive gotten in more near-wrecks almost changing lanes into somebody trying to take my spot biggrin.gif than anything else...

ug and some roads here TOTALLY SUCK! ug san felipe! and south shephard..that road sucks too
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
zetec
post Apr 19 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #20


Retired Funk-bringer


Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Dallas
Member No.: 14



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 19 2007, 12:56 PM) *
I can't believe I missed this thread...

I have to agree that Houston drivers are some of the best, no matter how insane they are.

In Dallas, everyone drives the same speed in all lanes. In Austin everyone drives like the upper and lower split doesn't apply to them.

My only complaint in Houston is the state of a lot of the roads that are under the city's control. Also, we are pretty bad about changing lanes more than necessary. Traffic is bad in parts but I've been glad to see things get better at 59 and the Spur and the ditch (back where it used to be bumper to bumper at 2am on a Saturday). Once they get the Beltway all done on the west side and start on the southern portion, things will be much smoother.

The 610 changes have been nice, but there are too many people using that road, especially near 59.

i don't know where you're driving in dallas, but it sure as hell isn't anywhere i've been.

fort worth is smooth sailing except on race days, but everybody in fort worth drives kinda pokey. dallas seems fine to me.

colorado drivers are fucking insane. driving through mountain bends at 90 biggrin.gif

god i love that place


--------------------
WAIT. I'm not finished.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Billy
post Apr 19 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #21


N 0 t h i n g


Group: Members
Posts: 1,449
Joined: 23-February 06
Member No.: 54



QUOTE (DaveFireDancer19 @ Apr 8 2007, 01:56 PM) *
ah the wonders of the galleria area!

you were like... <5 miles from my apartment biggrin.gif


Hey, I'm moving to Houston. A little north of the galleria area.


--------------------


QUOTE (jonathan83 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:22 PM) *
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 19 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #22





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



The roads are a mess in Houston...huge state of disrepair. And I've noticed that the timing on the stop lights in Houston are VERY fucked up. They're always off. I think that plays a major part for heavy traffic on the smaller roads. I remember when I could drive around Katy with no problem....now it's all congested.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Apr 19 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #23


No day but today...


Group: Members
Posts: 773
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 5



QUOTE (DaveFireDancer19 @ Apr 7 2007, 12:16 PM) *
we avoid 610 and westheimer like the plague...its awful!!!


Amber I interned last summer off 610 and Westheimer right next to the Art Institute smile.gif. It took me about an hour to get to work from Jersey Village. Traffic was never bad until 290 turned into 610 and then it was congested. But I never saw a wreck which is a huge plus.


QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 19 2007, 10:56 AM) *
The 610 changes have been nice


Once they finish the 610 exits to get on 10, it'll be even better


QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 19 2007, 10:56 AM) *
but there are too many people using that road, especially near 59.


That wouldn't happen to be because of the Galleria now would it wink.gif It's also a major way to get to Sugarland which is another growing area (growing by at least one since my mom moved there last weekend laugh.gif)


--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Apr 19 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #24


No day but today...


Group: Members
Posts: 773
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 5



While we are on the subject of Houston, a friend of mine just accepted a job at National Oilwell Varco on the Beltway and Richmond. Any apartment suggestions in the Westchase area for a girl living by herself who doesn't know Houston at all?


--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 20 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #25





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (kcroxyoursox @ Apr 19 2007, 10:46 PM) *
While we are on the subject of Houston, a friend of mine just accepted a job at National Oilwell Varco on the Beltway and Richmond. Any apartment suggestions in the Westchase area for a girl living by herself who doesn't know Houston at all?


Our office is off of Richmond and the Beltway (it's at Wilcrest and Richmond to be exact) and I can say she is better off living closer to Midtown or the Galleria than she would be anywhere near here. This area is quickly taking a turn for the worst and even the nicest apartments are turning into crime ridden areas.

If she absolutely wanted to live around here, there are some apartments on Richmond between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford that are fairly nice and decently priced. I can't remember the name but I will probably drive by them next week.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 20 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #26





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (kcroxyoursox @ Apr 19 2007, 10:42 PM) *
That wouldn't happen to be because of the Galleria now would it wink.gif It's also a major way to get to Sugarland which is another growing area (growing by at least one since my mom moved there last weekend laugh.gif)


I live in Sugar Land (right now) wink.gif

I lived there my whole life (except for stints in Germany and on a ranch outside of town) till college. Then I moved to Dallas, and now I am back for a while trying to find a good place to live in this city. I will say that I do not miss this place. Houston feels dirty, especially compared to Austin or Ft. Worth. There is very little zoning here and everything is in a strip mall.

610 and 59 has always been bad, even before the Galleria became big, the freeways hit at weird places and the "right-of-way" for the construction isn't much, so they had to improvise. Also, there are major mini-cities there, like Bellaire and the only way to get to them is take the back roads from 59 or get on 610.

The I-10 construction (and the Beltway construction) are starting to turn into a nightmare. In a few weeks they'll be knocking down the I-10 entrance and exit ramps from the Beltway and they'll be moving lanes at the Beltway and 59 South.

In the last week I have seen the lanes change three times on the Beltway, and I think it surprises every driver, every time.

zetec, I mostly drove in Dallas, and everyone seemed to drive the same speed or go slow in the fast lane. In Houston, that isn't allowed, but the difference is, the drivers actually enforce it here. If you are going too slow in the fast lane, everyone will let you know.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Apr 20 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #27


No day but today...


Group: Members
Posts: 773
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 5



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 20 2007, 06:39 AM) *
The I-10 construction (and the Beltway construction) are starting to turn into a nightmare. In a few weeks they'll be knocking down the I-10 entrance and exit ramps from the Beltway and they'll be moving lanes at the Beltway and 59 South.

Yeah that's what my dad was telling me. Crazy stuff.


--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 20 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #28





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



yeah in houston, if you want a nice place, you're best off in the suburbs... sugarland/katy/kingwood/clear lake/etc. you'll have a commute but imho it's well worth it.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 20 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #29





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 20 2007, 08:31 AM) *
Our office is off of Richmond and the Beltway (it's at Wilcrest and Richmond to be exact) and I can say she is better off living closer to Midtown or the Galleria than she would be anywhere near here. This area is quickly taking a turn for the worst and even the nicest apartments are turning into crime ridden areas.

If she absolutely wanted to live around here, there are some apartments on Richmond between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford that are fairly nice and decently priced. I can't remember the name but I will probably drive by them next week.


maybe she can find some apartments around the Hwy 6 and Richmond area...it's not a horrible commute from Highway 6 to the beltway along Richmond
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 20 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #30


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



i miss houston


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 20 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #31





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (kcroxyoursox @ Apr 19 2007, 10:46 PM) *
While we are on the subject of Houston, a friend of mine just accepted a job at National Oilwell Varco on the Beltway and Richmond. Any apartment suggestions in the Westchase area for a girl living by herself who doesn't know Houston at all?


Talking to a co-worker, she lives at Alta Royal Oaks off of Westpark and Wilcrest, one block from Richmond and the Beltway. They're clean, safe, and there is less traffic since there is not a ton of stuff around (just some townhomes and Royal Oaks, nice!)


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 20 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #32





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



QUOTE (Testm0nkey @ Apr 20 2007, 02:32 PM) *
i miss houston

thank you! i'm so sick of all the negativity people have towards houston.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 20 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #33





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



QUOTE (impala454 @ Apr 20 2007, 02:47 PM) *
thank you! i'm so sick of all the negativity people have towards houston.


me too...I love Houston. I get so tired of all the people who admonish Dallas and are down on Houston. IMO, Dallas is too uppity.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 20 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #34


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



lets love on houston!

# Houston has more than 11,000 unique restaurants.
# Houston has a Theater District second only to New York City in terms of a concentration of seats in a single geographic area. Located downtown, the 17-block Theater District is home to eight performing arts organizations with more than 12,000 seats.
# Houston has a unique museum district offering a range of museums, galleries, art and cultural institutions, including the Houston's major museums.
# Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts.
# Houston has a young population; 37 percent of Houstonians are 24 years old or younger and 34 percent are between the ages of 25 and 44.
# Houston boasts more than 40 colleges, university and institutions - offering higher education options to suit all interests.
# Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, with a local economic impact of $10 billion. More than 52,000 people work within its facilities, which encompass 21 million square feet. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year.
# Houston has the most affordable housing of 10 most populated metropolitan areas; Houston housing costs are 39 percent below the average of 26 U.S. urban populations of more than 1.5 million.
# Houston has the second lowest cost of living among major American cities.


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Seeker
post Apr 20 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #35





Group: Members
Posts: 5,275
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 2



dallas and houston both suck

fort worth is actually the best city in texas
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 20 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #36





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



and Houston has THE DYNAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
False Dude
post Apr 20 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #37


POTATO OLES


Group: Members
Posts: 1,602
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Newark, NJ
Member No.: 17



yeah but Cathryn should be like an ambassador for Houston. sometimes its like listening to a guided tour.




wub.gif


--------------------
death to false dudes
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Divergent Realit...
post Apr 20 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #38



Group Icon

Group: Agents
Posts: 4,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: lu-bok
Member No.: 41



QUOTE (Testm0s Boi Toi @ Apr 20 2007, 02:59 PM) *
yeah but Cathryn should be like an ambassador for Houston. sometimes its like listening to a guided tour.
wub.gif


that will touch your penis.


--------------------
32-bit whore


Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 20 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #39





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



the science museums and stuff are really neat. and the sports stadiums are awesome. stros and rockets are doin pretty well right now too.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
kcroxyoursox
post Apr 20 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #40


No day but today...


Group: Members
Posts: 773
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 5



I too love Houston and miss it terribly (I hate Fort Worth where every 7.2 seconds you're in some different little crappy city)

*Houston has Java Juice (bet no one else here has been there)

Here are a few rules about Houston:

1. You must learn to pronounce the city name. It is "Hue-stun," not "Ewe-stun", or "house-tun" Oh yea, it is pronounced "San Phil-ee-pay," not "San Phil-eep" (San Felipe). Enunciate, you idiots!

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Houston has its own version of traffic rules...Hold on and pray. There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Houston. We all drive like that.

3. All directions start with, "Go down to Loop 610".... which has no beginning and no end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce calls getting through traffic... a "Scenic Drive."

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00AM to 10:00AM. The evening rush hour is from 3:00PM to 7:00PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot. When you are the first one off the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going, to avoid getting into any cross-traffic's way.

7. Kuykendahl Road can ONLY be pronounced by a native Houstonian.

8. Construction on I-10, I-45, US 59 and Loop 610 is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment.

9. All unexplained smells are explained by the phrases, "Oh, we must be in Pasadena!" or "God, I hate Baytown!" or "Mmm, smell that Texas City!"

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

11. All old ladies with blue hair in a pink Cadillac have total right-of-way.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. In turn, the minimum speed on Westheimer is at least 45mph...

13. The rod iron on windows in east Houston is NOT ornamental

14. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." In fact, don't honk at anyone.

15. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 mph in a 60 mph zone, people are not waving when they go by.

16. Beltway 8 is our daily version of NASCAR.

17. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend.

18. When in doubt, remember that all unmarked exits lead to Louisiana.

22. If you live in Katy and I live on the south side of Houston, we'll never hang out

23. The best thing about being drunk between 2-5 am is Whataburger will serve both breakfest and normal menus.

24. You are always able to be pulled over by any police vehicle, even if you were just given a ticket.

25. You don't have to wait for an exit to get off a freeway, just follow the ruts in the grass to the feeder like everyone else. This is how Houston residents notify Texas Department of Transportation where exits should have been built.

26. Else-where, they are called frontage roads... Here in Houston, they are called FEEDER roads, so dont look stupid when we say "Exit the feeder road and use the loop-d-loop


YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM HOUSTON WHEN:

You're on your way to work one February morning and suddenly you're trapped in a traffic jam caused by a chuck wagon and fifty horses -- with riders -- and you look around to see that everybody in the cars around you is wearing a cowboy hat.

The "farm-to-market" roads have seven lanes.

If you want to be a snob about your grocery shopping, you can go to a Randall's Flagship, a Kroger Signature, a Rice Epicurean, or an HEB Central Market to buy bread and milk (but you have to dress up!)

You have to turn on the air conditioning in January, two days after a low of 29 degrees.

You have a Roach Story: You opened your flatware drawer to find a roach the size of the Taco Bell chihuahua. He stood up and looked you in the eye. You closed the drawer, bought new flatware -- and stored it in the oven.

When you see your neighbor dancing around the front yard, you don't think he's won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes; you know he just stepped in a fire ant bed.

The name "Bud Adams" makes people snarl, and "Bum Phillips" doesn't mean a bad screwdriver.

"Luv ya Blue" still makes you smile, even if you did run the Oilers out of town.

You know that the Astrodome will always be the Eighth Wonder of the World.

You come to work in short-sleeves and walk out at noon to find that a "blue-tailed norther" has blown through, and the temperature has dropped 40 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Your neighbor's Christmas yard decorations look like a re-creation of the gunfight at the OK Corral, complete with a ten-foot tree decorated with boots and cowboy hats, and a Santa Claus who looks a lot like Wyatt Earp.

You wander into a section of town where you can't read the street signs because they're written in Asian characters instead of English, but you don't care because you can get great prices on fake designer merchandise there.

You go to an art festival on Westheimer and you're almost run down by two cross-dressers on roller blades, holding hands.

The "Killer Bees" are not stinging insects.

You hear everything but English spoken when you go to the Galleria to window-shop.

You know that "Dad gummit" has nothing to do with your father's failure to practice good dental hygiene.

You think "Y'all" is perfectly good usage if you're referring to more than one person.

For a Chili Cookoff, you'll use anything from armadillo to frog's legs, but you know that the only GOOD chili is made with chopped -- not ground -- beef, and it has NO beans and NO tomatoes.

Spring is not the season, Katy is not the lady, and 1960 is not the year.

Society matrons of "a certain age" still sport big hair, and faces that have gone east, west, and north rather than south.

You can leave your house, head out of town, and an hour later you still haven't left the city limits. (During rush hour, you haven't left your neighborhood.)

You've never seen I-45 in any condition other than under-construction -- and you've lived here for 20-30 years.

If the humidity is below 90 percent, it's a good hair day.

You know that "Clutch City" has nothing to do with automobile transmissions.

"The Dream" is not a fantasy.

The only real Mexican food is Tex-Mex.

A 747 with the Space Shuttle riding piggyback has actually flown low, right overhead, and nobody paid any attention to it.

You know that while saving you money, "Mattress Mac" has amassed more than the U.S. Treasury has.

You're happy to have beaten Los Angeles out of a football team, but you'd rather that they keep the title of "Smog Capital."

You see nothing unusual about an 80-something former sheriff's deputy who wears a white pompadour toupee and blue sunglasses, mispronounces names, allows televising of his frequent plastic surgeries, seems unnaturally obsessed with slime in the ice machine, and screams, "MAR-VIN ZIND-ler, EYE-witness news" into a television camera every night.


--------------------
Forget regret
or life is yours to miss
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Splash Jackson
post Apr 20 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #41


The Comeback Kid


Group: Members
Posts: 45
Joined: 22-March 06
From: Great Falls, MT
Member No.: 125



I am a big Houston supporter, but if Houston is the second least expensive major US city, which city is Number 1?


--------------------
I'm sorry. I thought this was America.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
zetec
post Apr 20 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #42


Retired Funk-bringer


Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Dallas
Member No.: 14



D/FW is the fourth largest metro area in the US.


so nyah.


--------------------
WAIT. I'm not finished.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveFireDancer19
post Apr 21 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #43


Amber


Group: Members
Posts: 533
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Birmingham, Al
Member No.: 6



haha i have a coworker who lives in westchase....she really doesnt care for the car jackings and gun shots...but hey if you want to live next to work! haha go for it...

I personally love living inside the loop...its fantastic...and theres hardly traffic because we are always against it wherever we go...except 610 and westheimer biggrin.gif and 45 and 59...it just sucks there regardless

I just wish I could afford to live in one of those 500K condos that i live next door too...sad.gif
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
chook
post Apr 21 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #44


Oh baby bring me down
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Posts: 4,115
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Way out yonder
Member No.: 68



I am going to be sitting in the Airport there for three hours on Sunday. If anyone wants to eat give me a ring!


--------------------
Southern Rock, beer and bears!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 21 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #45





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



QUOTE (zetec @ Apr 20 2007, 06:52 PM) *
D/FW is the fourth largest metro area in the US.
so nyah.


Are you talking largest by distance or by population? If you're talking population, keep guessing....Houston is the fourth largest in the US (source: the 2000 US Census). Dallas ranked 8th...I dont think that in 7 years Dallas has been able to jump up by 4 spots.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
GOB
post Apr 21 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #46


monogamous gays & stem cells


Group: Members
Posts: 3,789
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 8



QUOTE (TTUAthleticTrainer @ Apr 21 2007, 06:35 PM) *
Are you talking largest by distance or by population? If you're talking population, keep guessing....Houston is the fourth largest in the US (source: the 2000 US Census). Dallas ranked 8th...I dont think that in 7 years Dallas has been able to jump up by 4 spots.

i think he meant the entire dfw area. there are like 5 million+ people.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 22 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #47





Group: Members
Posts: 556
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 16



Yeah, he's talking about metro area, not city limits. For the record, Houston is the sixth-largest metropolitan area in the United States.

That's fine, I'll settle for being the economic and cultural center of the American South.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
zetec
post Apr 22 2007, 05:02 AM
Post #48


Retired Funk-bringer


Group: Moderators
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Dallas
Member No.: 14



I'm talking about the entire metro area, and this is data from about 3 weeks ago.


--------------------
WAIT. I'm not finished.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 22 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #49





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



QUOTE (zetec @ Apr 22 2007, 06:02 AM) *
I'm talking about the entire metro area, and this is data from about 3 weeks ago.


Meh...I will take Houston over Dallas anyday...no matter what statistics you drone on. The only good thing Dallas has is The Roundup.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 22 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #50





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



I love Houston but it has its downsides, just like anywhere else. I feel like, as Houston grows outward, the "dirtiness" grows with it and ever since Katrina that the city is struggling to curb crime and keep the city clean.

The transportation problem here is a product of our desire to live further and further from the city and still go into downtown to work. Austin and Dallas are plagued by the same thing. (I'm in Austin as I write this)

Houston's fine arts and eateries are some of the high points of the city. Living inside of 610 is a great idea and probably the best feature of Houston, with access to downtown, midtown, and the medical center just a few minutes away.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 23 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #51





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (DaveFireDancer19 @ Apr 21 2007, 10:46 AM) *
haha i have a coworker who lives in westchase....she really doesnt care for the car jackings and gun shots...but hey if you want to live next to work! haha go for it...

I personally love living inside the loop...its fantastic...and theres hardly traffic because we are always against it wherever we go...except 610 and westheimer biggrin.gif and 45 and 59...it just sucks there regardless

I just wish I could afford to live in one of those 500K condos that i live next door too...sad.gif


Where exactly do you live? (if you don't mind saying) I am looking for a place and so is my girlfriend and there are so many dang apartments it's hard to decide.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 23 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #52


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Texas cities I have lived in: El Paso, Lubbock, Austin
Texas cities I have visited: San Angelo, Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, San Marcos, San Antonio

My ranking system:

1) Austin (most beautiful city IMHO and lots to do. traffic getting insane though)
2) Houston (traffic definitely a downside, but I liked the area tons)
3) San Marcos (people are super friendly there)
4) Dallas
5) Ft Worth (people say its nicer than Dallas, but my dad went to Weslyan University and it was one of the most GHETTO areas ever)
6) El Paso (the mountains are the only reason it is ranked as high as it is)
7) Lubbock (smelly, flat, ugly, but fun if youre a redneck or a big drinker. Tech has a nice campus)
8) San Angelo (BOOOORING)
9) San Antonio (ugly city, construction everywhere, and scary gangbagers)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 23 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #53





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 22 2007, 01:24 PM) *
Living inside of 610 is a great idea and probably the best feature of Houston, with access to downtown, midtown, and the medical center just a few minutes away.

only problem is, you can get three times the house for your money outside 610. I guess it's just a matter of paying for a nice/large place or convenience.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 23 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #54





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (impala454 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:41 AM) *
only problem is, you can get three times the house for your money outside 610. I guess it's just a matter of paying for a nice/large place or convenience.


Well I probably would not buy a house here anyway... The housing market here is slowly (read, quickly) going down the crapper. If I did buy, I'd buy some dump in the Heights, tear it down, and build something on it. The land is worth more than any of those houses.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Splash Jackson
post Apr 23 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #55


The Comeback Kid


Group: Members
Posts: 45
Joined: 22-March 06
From: Great Falls, MT
Member No.: 125



QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 22 2007, 02:28 AM) *
That's fine, I'll settle for being the economic and cultural center of the American South.


Atlanta?


--------------------
I'm sorry. I thought this was America.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 23 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #56





Group: Members
Posts: 556
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 16



QUOTE (Splash Jackson @ Apr 23 2007, 02:12 PM) *
Atlanta?


I said of the South, not of the Southern Hip-Hop Scene. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pysex
post Apr 23 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #57


I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!


Group: Members
Posts: 3,080
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Cedar Park
Member No.: 49



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 23 2007, 10:36 AM) *
Texas cities I have lived in: El Paso, Lubbock, Austin
Texas cities I have visited: San Angelo, Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, San Marcos, San Antonio

My ranking system:

1) Austin (most beautiful city IMHO and lots to do. traffic getting insane though)
2) Houston (traffic definitely a downside, but I liked the area tons)
3) San Marcos (people are super friendly there)
4) Dallas
5) Ft Worth (people say its nicer than Dallas, but my dad went to Weslyan University and it was one of the most GHETTO areas ever)
6) El Paso (the mountains are the only reason it is ranked as high as it is)
7) Lubbock (smelly, flat, ugly, but fun if youre a redneck or a big drinker. Tech has a nice campus)
8) San Angelo (BOOOORING)
9) San Antonio (ugly city, construction everywhere, and scary gangbagers)


I like this ranking except houston should be in about 5th place


--------------------
"Ah, y'know it's funny, these people they go to sleep, they think everything's fine, everything's good. They wake up the next day and they're on fire."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
GOB
post Apr 23 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #58


monogamous gays & stem cells


Group: Members
Posts: 3,789
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 8



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 23 2007, 10:36 AM) *
Texas cities I have lived in: El Paso, Lubbock, Austin
Texas cities I have visited: San Angelo, Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, San Marcos, San Antonio

My ranking system:

1) Austin (most beautiful city IMHO and lots to do. traffic getting insane though)
2) Houston (traffic definitely a downside, but I liked the area tons)
3) San Marcos (people are super friendly there)
4) Dallas
5) Ft Worth (people say its nicer than Dallas, but my dad went to Weslyan University and it was one of the most GHETTO areas ever)
6) El Paso (the mountains are the only reason it is ranked as high as it is)
7) Lubbock (smelly, flat, ugly, but fun if youre a redneck or a big drinker. Tech has a nice campus)
8) San Angelo (BOOOORING)
9) San Antonio (ugly city, construction everywhere, and scary gangbagers)

well, this is crap because you haven't lived in most of those places. it's pretty easy to say a city sucks from just visiting and it could actually be awesome. but then again, i thought dallas sucked balls before i moved there, and it turns out it really does.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 23 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #59


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Ive visited DFW a lot and Im the kind of person that usually loves a place at first and grows to hate it. That wasnt the case with DFW. Its always seemed shitty to me. Everthing is way too spread out withing each city, but then all the cities run together. The drivers try to act like Houston drivers, but in reality all they are doing is driving at high rates of speed and endangering the lives of everyone else whereas in houston everyone seems to drive in sync with one another. The downtown area is fucking scary. Dallas kids are ghetto, but the suburb kids are fucking snobs. I dont know. I would NEVER live there....unless I got offered an ENORMOUS amount of money to work there.

As far as San Antonio is concerned: I think I have visited that place enough times to make a decent judgment of the place. In fact, I was there this past weekend. Same goes with San Marcos.

I'll admit to not having been in Houston long enough to make a solid judgement, but damn I loved the way people drove and I loved the galleria area
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
FORSAKENR320
post Apr 24 2007, 04:31 AM
Post #60


GORILLA FLUFFER
Group Icon

Group: Agents
Posts: 7,711
Joined: 23-February 06
From: lubbock
Member No.: 50



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 23 2007, 08:47 PM) *
Ive visited DFW a lot and Im the kind of person that usually loves a place at first and grows to hate it. That wasnt the case with DFW. Its always seemed shitty to me. Everthing is way too spread out withing each city, but then all the cities run together. The drivers try to act like Houston drivers, but in reality all they are doing is driving at high rates of speed and endangering the lives of everyone else whereas in houston everyone seems to drive in sync with one another. The downtown area is fucking scary. Dallas kids are ghetto, but the suburb kids are fucking snobs. I dont know. I would NEVER live there....unless I got offered an ENORMOUS amount of money to work there.

As far as San Antonio is concerned: I think I have visited that place enough times to make a decent judgment of the place. In fact, I was there this past weekend. Same goes with San Marcos.

I'll admit to not having been in Houston long enough to make a solid judgement, but damn I loved the way people drove and I loved the galleria area




you're just never satisfied, are you


women.... bah!


--------------------
QUOTE (Jessica @ May 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *
but yeehaw dammit. YEEHAW
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
ok once upon a time I jacked myself off retarded.


Licking anuses, one kindergarten class at a time!!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 24 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #61


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Im satisfied where I live now...I just kinda have this itch (not an std, fuckers...its a metaphorical itch) to get out of Texas. I hate that I havent seen much of the world. Im really hoping to change this soon.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 24 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #62





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 24 2007, 08:45 AM) *
Im satisfied where I live now...I just kinda have this itch (not an std, fuckers...its a metaphorical itch) to get out of Texas. I hate that I havent seen much of the world. Im really hoping to change this soon.


I know what you mean. My girlfriend and I have actually talked and still talk about this... We both want to do the downtown living, take the subway to work life, at least for a little while. This would have to happen outside of Texas (more than likely Boston, NYC, or D.C.) the only issue is actually doing it. I can pretty much live anywhere and still do my job, but she is going to be a teacher, though she has a math degree so Texas is a good option for her right now.

I have already planned out how I am going to see more of the world outside of my job (as in, actually go outside of the cities). Just save up and do it.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 24 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #63


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



I seriously feel like Im giong insane here. I just HATE that there are places so much more interesting than here that I havent seen. I try to save to go somewhere and just about that time is when something comes up.... car repairs (thank god im done with that since I bought a truck), doctor bills (no insurance)....
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 24 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #64





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 23 2007, 12:38 PM) *
Well I probably would not buy a house here anyway... The housing market here is slowly (read, quickly) going down the crapper.

the housing market is f'n amazing if you're buying a house. its crappy if you're trying to sell.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 24 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #65





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



QUOTE (Jessica @ Apr 24 2007, 10:19 AM) *
I seriously feel like Im giong insane here. I just HATE that there are places so much more interesting than here that I havent seen. I try to save to go somewhere and just about that time is when something comes up.... car repairs (thank god im done with that since I bought a truck), doctor bills (no insurance)....

I have a few friends and family who all grew up in Texas who have moved all over, lived all over the world (both military and non-military). Some have lived in Cali, Florida, New York, Italy, UK, Canada, and every single person says the same thing. They're really nice to visit, or nice to live for a short amount of time, but in the end, they all ended up back in Texas or want to get back here. I honestly don't think Texas can be beat for its combo of cost of living, quality of life, hospitality, healthcare, modern conveniences, and entertainment.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 24 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #66


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



Im just a strange person. I have always loved to adventure around places I havent seen before. When I moved to Austin, I would go on drievs for hours just looking at things. Really, the Austin area is one of the nicest places in Texas to explore around. I have done a lot of exploring in Florida. I love it there. I would absolutely love to live in Key West, Florida. Beautiful. Ive only been out of the country once... and that was to the Bahamas for 3 days. I need new places to see. Im trying to save for a trip to NYC right now, but ideally I would love to visit China, South Africa, Russia, or Italy.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hartmann
post Apr 24 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #67





Group: Admin
Posts: 3,403
Joined: 23-February 06
From: PDX/TXL
Member No.: 35



Why are you going insane in Austin? There is a lot to do there that is hidden away and free even...

Just a note, South Africa may sound like a good idea, but be cautious if you go there, we had a lady working for us there who was basically sequestered in her hotel room for the entire trip.


--------------------

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: that of the fashionable non-conformist."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mommy
post Apr 24 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #68


New son Donovan Charles Mummert born July 17, 2008


Group: Members
Posts: 8,635
Joined: 22-February 06
From: Port Wentworth, GA
Member No.: 15



QUOTE (Hartmann @ Apr 24 2007, 11:54 AM) *
Why are you going insane in Austin? There is a lot to do there that is hidden away and free even...

Just a note, South Africa may sound like a good idea, but be cautious if you go there, we had a lady working for us there who was basically sequestered in her hotel room for the entire trip.


Yeah, its nice here. It really is. I have never lived anywhere where there is this much to do. I guess thats what makes me want to get out of Texas even more...the fact that I know that there are cool places out there. Yeah, South Africa is actually just one of those places I want to see for the natural beauty. The other countries I listed, I want to see more.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 24 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #69


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



its a natural thing in every person to want to see new things/new experiences.
that does not make a strange person just makes a strange person a little bit more normal


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 24 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #70





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



yeah i'd love to go out and see other places, i'd like to go to NY, florida, europe, china, etc, but i wouldn't necessarily want to live there.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
cupcake
post Apr 24 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #71





Group: Members
Posts: 1,795
Joined: 29-September 06
Member No.: 327



I think it's a good idea for texans to get out and try living elsewhere for even just a year or two. if I were to advise, I'd say san diego and nyc. not just because I've lived there and love them, but because for downtown living you can't beat the greatest city in the world, and for beach living the jewel of socal is SD.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Seeker
post Apr 24 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #72





Group: Members
Posts: 5,275
Joined: 22-February 06
Member No.: 2



i take a roadtrip to somewhere new every month

when i worked at nortel i'd occasionally travel and i got to see lots of places i wouldn't have been able to normally

i'm saving up for a trip to south america
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 24 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #73


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



what if you hate NYC


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
cupcake
post Apr 24 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #74





Group: Members
Posts: 1,795
Joined: 29-September 06
Member No.: 327



well then dont live there?

I was talking about for downtown living. I honestly cant fathom hating NYC though...
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 24 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #75





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



I can see the point of not wanting to live in NYC...

Sure, you don't need a car, but the cost of living is ridiculous. Who wants to pay over $1,000 a month to live in a closet.

Nice to visit, crappy to live.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Testm0nkey
post Apr 24 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #76


CHEE CHEE


Group: Members
Posts: 5,026
Joined: 23-February 06
From: trapped in the hoezone layer
Member No.: 39



ive lived in downtown settings and i think its a nice experience but i wouldnt want to live in a downtown setting for my entire life.
but i still hate NYC. like duane said nice to visit for a little (once is enough!?) but hugely aggrivating, crappy place to live imo


--------------------
Little monkeys making money
Naked monkey looking funny
Mighty males are strong and free
Female monkey, not so lucky
Rocking monkeys, funky monkeys
Monkeys sticking other monkeys
Monkeys wrong or monkeys right
Mostly flexing monkey might
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
theIncredibleEdi...
post Apr 24 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #77





Group: Members
Posts: 1,566
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 66



I don't think I could handle the constant NOISE....knowing that where I live, I will never have any silence unless I sound-proof my house/apartment. And I like having a car...and paying for parking in those big ass cities is also ridiculous.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
impala454
post Apr 24 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #78





Group: Members
Posts: 10,620
Joined: 23-February 06
From: Houston, TX
Member No.: 48



not to mention they want to charge you $8 just to drive in now?? under the pretention of "saving greenhouse gasses"??? what a crock o shiat
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
12 User(s) are reading this topic (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th October 2026 - 06:05 AM
Skin made by: skeedio.com